Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear." 2 Tim. 4:3
And yet, when I ask why "Bible believers" don't seem to believe Jesus' promise in John 14:"16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.…" Which is the basis for the doctrine you see us talking about, I don't seem to get an answer.

Perhaps, jg, YOU will do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen.
It's amazing how people keep denying God's truth..... and keep on denying so much scripture by ignoring, twisting, and changing God's truth (word) .

It's also amazing how Jesus was always saying and quoting "It is written!" ......
as it being proven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This is the liberal, 'anything goes' crowd that shows-up on almost every thread to categorically renounce scripture in favor of their own 'feel good' opinions. They are only willing to hear 'opinions' that agree with their own ... and reject the authority of scripture ... as rigid and narrow-minded. They certainly seem to be among those to whom the Bible refers:

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear." 2 Tim. 4:3
"Itching ears" ... as God declared who they are: 2 Timothy 3:1-9
People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient
to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without
self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure
rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing
to do with such people.

They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who

are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but
never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed
Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as
far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. But they will not get very far because, as in the
case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And yet, when I ask why "Bible believers" don't seem to believe Jesus' promise in John 14:"16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.…" Which is the basis for the doctrine you see us talking about, I don't seem to get an answer.

Perhaps, jg, YOU will do so?
Do you believe the Spirit lies?

Old 10-09-2014, 11:56 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It shouldn't be amazing when:
2 Peter 1:21
For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human,
spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed ....

John 3:35
... the Scripture cannot be broken—

OT \ NT:
  • spoken from God by the Holy Spirit
  • God breathed
  • cannot be broken
So that applies to the OT as that was the only scripture in existence at the time. If that is the case, then a) it does not apply to the NT, and b) the OT laws are still in effect. Damn you bacon lovers.

Also my main problem is that the book that people claim is inerrant is based on statements in that book that say it is inerrant. That is no different than me writing a new Bible with the Gospel of RevRandy (and even a Gospel of TroutDude) and putting a line in it that says it is the perfect word of God, divinely inspired and inerrant. Anyone else the fallacy in inerrant's thinking?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you believe the Spirit lies?
No, lies are not from the spirit, but the Spirit does need to be verified (as should anything else) by analysis in the light of agape. Paul's list of the fruit of the spirit is helpful.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:04 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
First I should start off saying that I like my Pastor and he is a good man, however I often feel confused by many of the things he says and that quite frankly I am often at odds with some of his teachings. The core message of the church is one I agree with, saved by Grace, God loves all, the door is open to all. I'm fully in support of that, and I am completely comfortable with having gay people join our church and even serve in it, as long as they renounce their sin. We're all sinners in our own way, and none of us should judge another because they sin differently than we do.

What I do have an issue with however is a conversation that him and I had over gay marriage and homosexuality in general in the church. He stated that because Paul said "There is no male or female in Christ" and that homosexuality is okay because there's no such thing as same-sex attraction anymore since none of us are truly male or female in Christ. He also said that people are born gay and that it's not debatable, I pointed out that there is no such proof to support that claim and that there could be several environmental factors involved, but he snubbed his nose at it. I told him that I would welcome a homosexual to church as God loves them like he loves everyone else, but that I know what scripture says and I won't even begin to try and justify a sin. He then stated that there are things that the Bible says are wrong but we ignore completely, such as women not being able to speak in church or divorced people getting remarried. He then implied that we should do the same thing with homosexuality and gay marriage. The Pastor's daughter, who agrees with him, stated that people like her and her father are "forward" thinkers and we should accept it because it will be accepted by everyone sooner or later.

This church is rather small, and I doubt it will be around in the next 10 years. What they consider to be a "great success" in attendance is 18 people, which only happens for Potluck, on average we have about 12-13 members and they're all older. They do not have a church of their own, they rent one from a Methodist Church. They also do not meet on Sundays, they meet on Saturday evenings (it used to be Saturday morning but they thought they would attract more people this way). Moderator cut: Keep the politics OUT of this forum.

I've been attending another church on the side. It's a younger community and it just got started less than a year ago, and it already has 30-40 members. I like this new community better, as I felt like I was not getting spiritually satisfied at the previous Church above. I attend on occasion just to touch base with old friends but I do not consider it my "home" church. My question is what kind of Church is the one I was describing? It just confuses me because I can't wrap my head around it.
I don't know if it's a "liberal" church, or a "conservative" church. It sounds like a positive move for your church.

Jesus did not sat anything about homosexuality. He excluded no one. No one says that you have to be gay. Your pastor just wants to include gay people in the ministry. I think that's a loving and Christlike thing to do.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:12 PM

24 posts, read 17,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't know if it's a "liberal" church, or a "conservative" church. It sounds like a positive move for your church.

Jesus did not sat anything about homosexuality. He excluded no one. No one says that you have to be gay. Your pastor just wants to include gay people in the ministry. I think that's a loving and Christlike thing to do.
Jesus didn't say anything about pedophilia either. It isn't about exclusion, it's about acceptance. All are welcome to come to God and will be met with love, grace and forgiveness but not acceptance of sin. All of us are sinners, but we are united in fighting sin with the truth of God and holding each other accountable and repenting when we stumble. This is far different than standing proudly and unrepentant in sin, as this is a blaspheme against the Holy Spirit.

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" ~ Isaiah 5:20

Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlassWarrior View Post
All of us are sinners, but we are united in fighting sin with the truth of God and holding each other accountable and repenting when we stumble.
I have several questions:

What are your qualifications for holding others accountable for their sins?

How often do you examine your own sins? (Because I'm not sure how anyone has the time to tell someone else they're sinning if they're doing a thorough job of that. )

When's the last time you told someone you'd sinned against them and asked their forgiveness? How often do you do that? (Another thing that should be eating up the clock, IMHO.)

What happens when a gay Christian calls you on YOUR sins? Do you play rick, paper, scissors to decide who gets to hold the other accountable?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-09-2014 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have several questions:

What are your qualifications for holding others accountable for their sins?

How often do you examine your own sins? (Because I'm not sure how anyone has the time to tell someone else they're sinning if they're doing a thorough job of that. )

When's the last time you told someone you'd sinned against them and asked their forgiveness? How often do you do that? (Another thing that should be eating up the clock, IMHO.)

What happens when a gay Christian calls you on YOUR sins? Do you play rock, paper, scissors to decide who gets to hold the other accountable?
You made me laugh out loud! !!!

Jesus did say a little something about judging others, though. We all should spend more time than we do examining ourselves, not others.

To compare pedophilia, where a child is molested by an adult, and any consensual sex act between two adults is preposterous. Taking advantage of a weaker, younger or less financially endowed person is against the spirit of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Loving and committing to another adult, is not.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
in response to the OP...run dont walk to the nearest exit..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity