Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:50 AM

22,991 posts, read 28,458,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I thought he was referring to each individual's conscience but he is apparently talking literally. This is of course what nuns taught us in 1950's elementary school.

Do you think that such statements are counterproductive, i.e., would repel potential converts who would consider them as childish and indicative of a "fairy tale" religion?

Pope Francis Believes in Angels?
I'm stunned. The Pope is actually Catholic! Who'd have thought?

Seriously. Why is it that every time Pope Francis says something that the Catholic Church has always taught, people act surprised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 12:12 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,374,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My understanding of consciousness and its creation leads me to the obvious conclusion that our real Self is not what we are in this physical body. We are a delayed broadcast of the creation of our true Self that actually exists at a different level of being than we do. This spiritual Self is comprised of consciousness energy (like dark energy or dark matter) and exists outside our timespace as experienced by our brain. It retains connection with us through the machinery of the brain . . . but by the time we experience anything it has already been experienced by our true Self. This gives our true Self access to what we experience as our future . . . before we experience it. In a sense . . . this True Self acts as a "guardian angel" to our physical self through our intuition and right brain processes. Some of us are more sensitive to and pay more attention to our True Self than others.
Once again excellent post.

Could it be our higher self at times allows our bodies to become ill? Why so many of us are sick. Maybe there are lessons needed to be learned and this is the only way. I also believe God made us 'self-regulating or self-correcting', I think we end up judging ourselves but God has the final word if need be.

Although I believe 100% in what you say, I also believe we are also watched over by loved ones/angels as well. Even as Christians we underestimate just how important we are to God. If our eyes were truly opened, we'd see what Stephen saw with his last breaths.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:37 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,288,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm stunned. The Pope is actually Catholic! Who'd have thought?Seriously. Why is it that every time Pope Francis says something that the Catholic Church has always taught, people act surprised?
Not sure that this idea of a protective, personal angel was a Catholic doctrine or just an old nuns' tale -- not to be confused with an old wive's tale -- to be fed to the young, wide-eyed innocents.

That's why the Pope's sentiments surprised me.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,319,534 times
Quote:
Not sure that this idea of a protective, personal angel was a Catholic doctrine or just an old nuns' tale -- not to be confused with an old wive's tale -- to be fed to the young, wide-eyed innocents.

That's why the Pope's sentiments surprised me.
Here's one answer:

Q’s and A’s on the Guardian Angels | Catholicism.org

Other Popes have referred to guardian angels. Their existence is a common belief among Catholics. There are several Catholic prayers to our guardian angel (I believe we have one). One I like is:

"Oh Angel of God to whose care I am committed by the Supreme Clemency, illuminate, defend and govern me this day in all of my thoughts, words and actions. Amen."

Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 PM

22,991 posts, read 28,458,487 times
Quote:
Not sure that this idea of a protective, personal angel was a Catholic doctrine.
It was, is, and ever shall be.

From: Catechism of the Catholic Church - Heaven and Earth

I. THE ANGELS

The existence of angels - a truth of faith

328 The existence of the spiritual, non-corporeal beings that Sacred Scripture usually calls "angels" is a truth of faith. The witness of Scripture is as clear as the unanimity of Tradition.

Who are they?

329 St. Augustine says: "'Angel' is the name of their office, not of their nature. If you seek the name of their nature, it is 'spirit'; if you seek the name of their office, it is 'angel': from what they are, 'spirit', from what they do, 'angel.'" With their whole beings the angels are servants and messengers of God. Because they "always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven" they are the "mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word".

330 As purely spiritual creatures angels have intelligence and will: they are personal and immortal creatures, surpassing in perfection all visible creatures, as the splendor of their glory bears witness.

336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. "Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life." Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:26 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,579,775 times
Angels were talked about in the bible since the beginning. Satan was an angel who rebelled against God and was thrown into hell by the Archangel Michael with all the other angels who followed Satan.

We all have Guardian Angels and we can pray to them.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,374,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Angels were talked about in the bible since the beginning. Satan was an angel who rebelled against God and was thrown into hell by the Archangel Michael with all the other angels who followed Satan.

If you would only listen, they are saying, don't pray to us, go directly to the Father.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,272,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

As I mentioned above...I have problem with the idea that we may have an angel dedicated as a "guardian" to us...but how do you KNOW that?

Old 10-11-2014, 12:48 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As I mentioned above...I have problem with the idea that we may have an angel dedicated as a "guardian" to us...but how do you KNOW that?

What DewDropInn posted----

Q’s and A’s on the Guardian Angels | Catholicism.org

You know if people would take the time to read people's links on here it would be so much easier for all of us.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 834,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It was, is, and ever shall be.

From: Catechism of the Catholic Church - Heaven and Earth

I. THE ANGELS

The existence of angels - a truth of faith

328 The existence of the spiritual, non-corporeal beings that Sacred Scripture usually calls "angels" is a truth of faith. The witness of Scripture is as clear as the unanimity of Tradition.

Who are they?

329 St. Augustine says: "'Angel' is the name of their office, not of their nature. If you seek the name of their nature, it is 'spirit'; if you seek the name of their office, it is 'angel': from what they are, 'spirit', from what they do, 'angel.'" With their whole beings the angels are servants and messengers of God. Because they "always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven" they are the "mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word".

330 As purely spiritual creatures angels have intelligence and will: they are personal and immortal creatures, surpassing in perfection all visible creatures, as the splendor of their glory bears witness.

336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. "Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life." Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.
This is true catholic faith. They are servants and messengers from God and the helpers of believers. But we have not to pray to them, because there are also fallen angels, spiritual beings we cannot see either, and humans (Christians cannot distinquish between them). Therefore God only allows prayers and worship to Himself, what is absolute save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity