Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,278,657 times

Advertisements

I thought he was referring to each individual's conscience but he is apparently talking literally. This is of course what nuns taught us in 1950's elementary school.

Do you think that such statements are counterproductive, i.e., would repel potential converts who would consider them as childish and indicative of a "fairy tale" religion?

Pope Francis Believes in Angels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 AM

757 posts, read 1,028,193 times
I don't understand why some people seem surprised to learn that Pope Francis does believe in Angels. What seems so contradictory and incredible here? Don't they know anything about God's warriors, the Archangels?

Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,541,326 times
There is a huge difference between everyone has a guardian angel and believing in angels. The Bible clearly talks on angels, but I've never read about everyone having a guardian angel.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:57 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,488,318 times
Jesus taught us that we have guardian angels as well. Why is this surprising to you?

“Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 18:10).

In the Old Testament, we read Psalm 91:11-13: For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 758,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I thought he was referring to each individual's conscience but he is apparently talking literally. This is of course what nuns taught us in 1950's elementary school. Do you think that such statements are counterproductive, i.e., would repel potential converts who would consider them as childish and indicative of a "fairy tale" religion?

if everyone had an “guardian Angel” , would ANYONE die by means of another human? Jehovah God did send Angels to his servants of old. like the young men Shadrach, Meshach and Abendnego from a fiery furnace. Jesus showed that MANY today will have the protection of Jehovah's Angels ,(Luke 4:10 For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee). Sadly though it's NOT for everyone, even those who try to do Jehovah's WILL as Jesus said one should do ,(Matt. 7:21). also those who follows him NOT the world ,(Matt. 16:24) and (John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world), have an Angel from God's protection. Because MANY of Jehovah and Jesus people died by the hands of men. Sad, even those calling themselves men of God, don't know the truth. peace

Old 10-08-2014, 11:05 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,250,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I thought he was referring to each individual's conscience but he is apparently talking literally. This is of course what nuns taught us in 1950's elementary school.

Do you think that such statements are counterproductive, i.e., would repel potential converts who would consider them as childish and indicative of a "fairy tale" religion?

Pope Francis Believes in Angels?
I don't see that in scripture...but ok. There is nothing that suggest there ISN'T a guardian angel for everyone.

But you're concerned that potential converts would be turned away from that, but not the idea that God became man, died, and rose again? Or that God created the universe by speaking?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
I can't discount it entirely. I've been in more life-threatening situations than anybody I know and somehow emerged reasonably intact.

Cats have nothing on this guy.

(Knock wood.) (Ouch)

Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,130,501 times
It seemed to me already at a fairly young age (yes in the 1950s!) that the idea of a guardian angel was a way of making you think twice about committing a sin because someone was right there at your shoulder watching you. It was more personal and immediate than 'God is watching you'. The much touted role of guardian angels watching over children never made sense to me. Children were getting hurt and killed all the time. Were their angels that ineffective?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 PM

64,035 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Default Pope Francis Says That Everyone Has A Guardian Angel

My understanding of consciousness and its creation leads me to the obvious conclusion that our real Self is not what we are in this physical body. We are a delayed broadcast of the creation of our true Self that actually exists at a different level of being than we do. This spiritual Self is comprised of consciousness energy (like dark energy or dark matter) and exists outside our timespace as experienced by our brain. It retains connection with us through the machinery of the brain . . . but by the time we experience anything it has already been experienced by our true Self. This gives our true Self access to what we experience as our future . . . before we experience it. In a sense . . . this True Self acts as a "guardian angel" to our physical self through our intuition and right brain processes. Some of us are more sensitive to and pay more attention to our True Self than others.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:58 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,249,649 times
I often agree with Pope Francis. I can't imagine any believer in Jesus not believing that there are angels and an unseen realm. There is clearly a realm that we cannot see with our natural eyes. Jesus did imply that all children have angels watching over them who can see the face of God. I kind of understand what Mystic is saying, but it sounds way too complicated for most people, I fear. I think it is similar to that saying that says to appeal to "your better angel" We ought to let our "angel" have preeminence in our actions and put our little demon-self in a prison and not show his face to the world. I hope these words are not misinterpreted by bible-ists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity