Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:36 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,127,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you want a religion theta has it's reward based on flesh ,go Mormon or Islam their philosophies base their rewards on fleshly reward . Not at all what Jesus taught.
I don't appreciate Mormonism being misrepresented. We believe that God will bless us in accordance with our obedience to His commandments. That is very much what Jesus taught.

If you're going to insert the names of any specific religions in your posts, you'd better make them accurate.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:29 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,753,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The problem we face, is the fact men turn to scriptures they choose to justify sin, rather than discipline in obedience to God in the first place.
Jesus taught and demonstrated obedience on a personal level and that is what God expects ,.Jesus having provided the Holy Spirit to continue Jesus teaching to believers.
This message was disrupted by Paul, encouraging others to be teachers in the place of the Holy Spirit /Jesus Lordship.
Pauls further failure was teaching Grace as though God was compromising with sin, and God does not compromise with sin .
The first words of the gospel are Repent and be converted, not come as you are.
Sin is the absence of obedience.
With out the instruction of the Holy Spirit, one can only sin.
Being faithful is an active effort to seek after His instruction regularly, not just when your stuck, but long before that event can occur.
A person that is struggling to be obedient to god is not looking for excuses to sin but to love and serve God not their own flesh. If you want a religion theta has it's reward based on flesh ,go Mormon or Islam their philosophies base their rewards on fleshly reward . Not at all what Jesus taught.
Jesus said there is neither marriage nor giving in marriage in heaven. OK.
Since Jesus is God's word John 1; it is not a debate.
Homosexuality is not God's design, neither is divorce , and so far as I can see divorce and remarriage is forcing the outsider in a homosexual relationship .
When two people become one flesh ,the only thing that undoes it is the passing of one of them.
A married woman is permanently linked to her husband divorced or not. when she is divorced and marries another she is dragging her former husband in with her still linked to her . Jesus said so. and for that matter so did Paul.
There are a lot of things Christians do wrong because the general consensus want's this approval because of their own failures . in spite of this , it does not change the fact , homosexuality and deforce are not God's design.
All Satan did is twist God s word with Eve .
And when Jesus was fasting in the desert all Satan did was twist the word in an attempt to get Jesus to force His Father's hand BECAUSE THE SCRIPTURES SAID THUS, AND SO.
Looking for excuses is not loving God , especially knowing that He knows your heart and knows the truth.
Revelation reveals that all liars will end in hell false teachers and the like .
I recommend that in stead of looking to men for justification/ excuses for certain behavior, one should deeply seek after God's own instruction and approval , because in the end in the light of eternity obedience to the Father is what matters . Matthew 7;21,2,23,
Moses was denied entrance to the promised land because he disobeyed one specific command .
Moses failed because he was more concerned with the approval of men at that moment.
Prove to God you Love Him , determine to obey Him and not look for excuses.
While I agree with most of your sentiments stated in this post, it is important to realize that there is a difference between "justification" of sin, and simply seeing others as sinners like one's self. Almost every self-proclaimed "Bible" believer on the Christian thread LOVES to demonize homosexuality, but makes no mention of the sins that dominate within the churches they attend--most often divorce and remarriage, chest-pounding "thank God I'm not like that sinner over there," gossip when it is discovered that some "big" sin is present in the life of one of the members of their church. "For out of the mouth proceed----."

But the most religious also are far from emulating the Jesus who dealt kindly and mercifully with those caught in sin. Who did NOT condemn them even when they WERE guilty (the woman caught in adultery). Who partied with sinners and enjoyed Himself so much among them that the religious people of His day felt HE was a sinner, too.

Religious people want to talk about "holiness" but they aren't interested in practicing what Jesus saw as holy. They prefer to "choose" which sinners they will have mercy on (usually one "deserving" of mercy) and toward which sinners they will extend a hand of fellowship in hopes of winning those individuals to Christ.

Christ died for us while we were yet sinners does not apply the GLBT community according to many churches. They must cease their sin first and thereby "work" their way into the good graces of the community that falsely claims to follow Jesus.

And finally, you have a better chance of finding a good Samaritan among the Mormons---one who would pull you out of a ditch--and care for you--than you do in most evangelical churches. Go watch their song on Youtube entitled "Have I Done Any Good Today." It's a reflection of the value of those people, if not always their practice.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:47 PM

951 posts, read 1,056,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
While I agree with most of your sentiments stated in this post, it is important to realize that there is a difference between "justification" of sin, and simply seeing others as sinners like one's self. Almost every self-proclaimed "Bible" believer on the Christian thread LOVES to demonize homosexuality, but makes no mention of the sins that dominate within the churches they attend--most often divorce and remarriage, chest-pounding "thank God I'm not like that sinner over there," gossip when it is discovered that some "big" sin is present in the life of one of the members of their church. "For out of the mouth proceed----."

But the most religious also are far from emulating the Jesus who dealt kindly and mercifully with those caught in sin. Who did NOT condemn them even when they WERE guilty (the woman caught in adultery). Who partied with sinners and enjoyed Himself so much among them that the religious people of His day felt HE was a sinner, too.

Religious people want to talk about "holiness" but they aren't interested in practicing what Jesus saw as holy. They prefer to "choose" which sinners they will have mercy on (usually one "deserving" of mercy) and toward which sinners they will extend a hand of fellowship in hopes of winning those individuals to Christ.

Christ died for us while we were yet sinners does not apply the GLBT community according to many churches. They must cease their sin first and thereby "work" their way into the good graces of the community that falsely claims to follow Jesus.

And finally, you have a better chance of finding a good Samaritan among the Mormons---one who would pull you out of a ditch--and care for you--than you do in most evangelical churches. Go watch their song on Youtube entitled "Have I Done Any Good Today." It's a reflection of the value of those people, if not always their practice.
We have a clear example of what to do with someone who is engaged in sexual misconduct.

In Corinthians, Paul told the members to put out of their fellowship one who was engaged in unacceptable behaviour:

1 Corinthians 5:

1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:52 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,471,391 times
The compulsion to condemn and control, leads only to destruction.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:55 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,266,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Having recently watched a federal judge overthrow the will of the people in my state who voted to ban same-sex marriage I feel we are in perilous times.

A single act of homosexuality is considered an abomination in God's Word the Bible. Therefore marriage between two homosexuals is off the moral scale as far as abominations go. I think we all need to wake up before our nation is destroyed for this and all the rest of our horrible sins.

There is NO double standard with God.

Here is a scripture from the both King James Version and the Easy-to-Read Version of the Bible:

Leviticus 20:13

KJV:
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

ERV:
“If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

The US Government is promoting sin and eventually we are all going to have to pay a heavy price.
I have a great ideal! Why don't you worry about getting your own stinky backside to Heaven and get off the gay man's backs.

SSM is here for good, get over it!

Old 10-18-2014, 12:55 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,646,713 times
we have a terrible CDF widespread habit of attempting to silence others with whom we do not agree. i assure you that my adversaries have helped me far more than my friends.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,266,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
My own view here is that when the people of a state place any issue on a ballot and the majority of the state's citizens vote on the issue then that vote should count as being the will of the people and no federal judge should be able to strike down and totally negate the people's vote. There is supposed to be something called government by the people, for the people, and of the people. Federal judges should not have the power to create or legislate new law. That is for the state legislature to do and for the people to vote on.
What new law did the Federal Judges create?

Old 10-18-2014, 01:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,496,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Answer to #2 -- yes, it is called "no-fault" divorce - legal in all 50 states. Surely this has hurt marriages more than anything else. But then again, why would Christians rely on the power of the State to hold the bonds of marriage together?
Yes no fault divorce exists and ..... where were the churches objecting to it and where were the marches in favor of it? When people want something they do not object very hard. Phony Churches and Phony Christians abound. The level of objection should be equal and it isn't.

Hypocrisy that is evident to all.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
We have a clear example of what to do with someone who is engaged in sexual misconduct.

In Corinthians, Paul told the members to put out of their fellowship one who was engaged in unacceptable behaviour:

1 Corinthians 5:

1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Yes and helping them see that is an act of genuine love. The same as telling them not to drink poison even if flavored to taste good, smell good, etc.

What WE want or desire does not make it right or beneficial. God knows better and He has a basic Law that marriage is between a man and a woman and any sexual conduct beyond that is sin.

It is like a drunk who says it is OK because he loves his booze. So what?

Old 10-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Yes, love includes helping others see the sin, but not condemning them for the sin. Can't help someone you won't speak to.

Now lets se threads on phony churches allowing, condoning and at times even encouraging divorce. After all divorce is equal to homosexuality, except in one instance only.

OK, new thread anyone who claims to be a Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity