Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You do quite well at the judging part. Guess you must skip over John 7:24 to get to John 8:15:

"Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly."

John 7:24

You certainly love to judge the condition of a man's salvation based on appearances on an online message board.
And why did Jesus not include this horrible, rampant, wide-spread sin of homosexuality that is collapsing the nation now, must have collapsed Israel, too (not the Romans) when He said this:

Quote:
For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. These are the things which defile the man.
Matt 15:19-20

Just forgot? And now you're helping Him out? I think in these verses He mentioned the things which REALLY defile a person.

I'm not judging by appearances, but you apparently are. I'm thinking you see two men holding hands they are gay. Right?

So I'm betting if you had seen this you would have jumped to the conclusion that our last President was gay:

Quote:
When President Bush and Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia met in Crawford, Tex., last week, they did something very un-Texan: they walked hand in hand.

Americans may raise an eyebrow at men holding hands, but in the Arab world, affection among men is common, and without sexual connotation.

''Holding hands is the warmest expression of affection between men,'' said Samir Khalaf, a sociology professor at American University of Beirut in Lebanon. ''It's a sign of solidarity and kinship.''
The Basics - Why Arab Men Hold Hands - NYTimes.com

2 buddies in India BODAZEY PERSIAN FORUM

I'm afraid I have you pegged all about judging on appearances. And I do that because of what comes out of your heart and appears on the written page.

Read John 8:15 again. And this time try to put it into practice.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Let's take your word for it that some of Leviticus applies to only Jews, and the rest to everyone.

How do we know which is which? Who determined that, and in what way?
Interesting point. Usually, when some OT thing comes up that someone doesn't like, they go claim it's that Old Covenant/New Covenant thing and say it doesn't apply any longer. Common sense would indicate that if the OT no longer applies that ALL of Leviticus is null and void. (Incidentally, this would also apply to the Ten Commandments since they are also OT.) If ONE chapter of Leviticus is still active as the rule of religious law, then all of it is. Go read the first half of Leviticus where it talks about how to sacrifice an animal; you know, what to do with the entrails, which side of the altar to pour the blood, who gets to eat the meat, etc. Cool stuff like that. Then come back and post pictures of your church with the animal spread out on the alter filling the place with smoke. Oh? You don't do that? Then leave that other chapter of Leviticus out too.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:03 AM

951 posts, read 1,052,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Interesting point. Usually, when some OT thing comes up that someone doesn't like, they go claim it's that Old Covenant/New Covenant thing and say it doesn't apply any longer. Common sense would indicate that if the OT no longer applies that ALL of Leviticus is null and void. (Incidentally, this would also apply to the Ten Commandments since they are also OT.) If ONE chapter of Leviticus is still active as the rule of religious law, then all of it is. Go read the first half of Leviticus where it talks about how to sacrifice an animal; you know, what to do with the entrails, which side of the altar to pour the blood, who gets to eat the meat, etc. Cool stuff like that. Then come back and post pictures of your church with the animal spread out on the alter filling the place with smoke. Oh? You don't do that? Then leave that other chapter of Leviticus out too.
Christ sacrifice which these sacrifices pointed to removes the need to continue animal sacrifices but the commandments, statutes and judgements of God are still valid and need to be kept. They are a magnification of the 10 Commandments and Christ mentioned some of the 10 Commandments when asked what was required to enter into life [Eternal].

Matthew 19:
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I am a Christian who does not do animal sacrifices but I do keep the weekly and annual Sabbaths (see Lev 23), I do avoid mixed fabrics and do other things that other Christians do not do that are written in the Old Testament. To get Pharisaical and say which of the scriptures is to be kept and which not -- the main idea is to keep the law spiritually and physically if it still applies. This does require judgement and we have to look to our spiritual leaders for their guidance who after prayer, fasting and proper judgement can rule on the matter. I guess you realize it would require many many posts to go into the specifics but the basic idea is to live by every word of God as Christ quoted in the New Testament. He also rebuked the leaders of His day saying they made a big deal about tithing and yet omitted the weightier matters of the law. But he said that they should continue tithing and do the spiritual matters as well.

Matthew 23:
23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So, I tithe. Not just the 1st tithe, but the 2nd tithe and the 3rd tithe (you have to read the scriptures to discern these other two tithes) when it applies and I do give offerings (money) on God's Holy Days listed in Leviticus 23.

Now spiritually, homosexuality violates the great spiritual law -- the Ten Commandments. The spiritual point it is identified with is the 7th Commandment -- Thou shalt not commit adultery. If you commit the abominable sin of homosexuality you are breaking in principle the 7th Commandment of God's Ten Commandments. (Remember God's statutes, commandments and judgments are a magnification of the 10 Commandments which were written by the very finger of God on two tables of stone and placed into the Ark of God.

We view all the sexual sins listed in the Old Testament as sin that unless repented of you will be destroyed forever in the lake of fire mentioned in Revelation 20.

One must repent of one's sins to be able to be forgiven of one's sins to be able to receive God's Holy Spirit which one must have and be led by to be resurrected in the 1st Resurrection and to be able to enter into eternal life.

I hope this clears up some thoughts being expressed in some of these posts.

tthttf

Old 11-03-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Christ sacrifice which these sacrifices pointed to removes the need to continue animal sacrifices but the commandments, statutes and judgements of God are still valid and need to be kept. They are a magnification of the 10 Commandments and Christ mentioned some of the 10 Commandments when asked what was required to enter into life [Eternal].

Matthew 19:
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I am a Christian who does not do animal sacrifices but I do keep the weekly and annual Sabbaths (see Lev 23), I do avoid mixed fabrics and do other things that other Christians do not do that are written in the Old Testament. To get Pharisaical and say which of the scriptures is to be kept and which not -- the main idea is to keep the law spiritually and physically if it still applies. This does require judgement and we have to look to our spiritual leaders for their guidance who after prayer, fasting and proper judgement can rule on the matter. I guess you realize it would require many many posts to go into the specifics but the basic idea is to live by every word of God as Christ quoted in the New Testament. He also rebuked the leaders of His day saying they made a big deal about tithing and yet omitted the weightier matters of the law. But he said that they should continue tithing and do the spiritual matters as well.

Matthew 23:
23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So, I tithe. Not just the 1st tithe, but the 2nd tithe and the 3rd tithe (you have to read the scriptures to discern these other two tithes) when it applies and I do give offerings (money) on God's Holy Days listed in Leviticus 23.

Now spiritually, homosexuality violates the great spiritual law -- the Ten Commandments. The spiritual point it is identified with is the 7th Commandment -- Thou shalt not commit adultery. If you commit the abominable sin of homosexuality you are breaking in principle the 7th Commandment of God's Ten Commandments. (Remember God's statutes, commandments and judgments are a magnification of the 10 Commandments which were written by the very finger of God on two tables of stone and placed into the Ark of God.

We view all the sexual sins listed in the Old Testament as sin that unless repented of you will be destroyed forever in the lake of fire mentioned in Revelation 20.

One must repent of one's sins to be able to be forgiven of one's sins to be able to receive God's Holy Spirit which one must have and be led by to be resurrected in the 1st Resurrection and to be able to enter into eternal life.

I hope this clears up some thoughts being expressed in some of these posts.

tthttf
Sure. You could have simplified your answer and just said you keep the parts of Leviticus you like and toss the parts you don't. BTW, who is the WE in the comment hat starts "We view all the sexual sins.....?"

Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Resorting to the attack the source, not the content tactic, I see. Your opinion of their website doesn't matter at all. If their commentary is wrong, prove it. Course much easier just to write them off as being nuts, right?

A Jewish rabbi doesn't recognize Jesus as being the Messiah who fulfilled the old convenant so his opinion is irrelevant.
We're not talking about the New Testament. You're trying to condemn gays based on Leviticus. Leviticus is a book for the ritual practices of Levite priesthood of Ancient Israel. Not a guide for Christians to decide who to condemn. Christians are not experts on the Torah, Jews are.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Sure. You could have simplified your answer and just said you keep the parts of Leviticus you like and toss the parts you don't. BTW, who is the WE in the comment hat starts "We view all the sexual sins.....?"
But that would not be true. I keep the commandments, statutes and laws the best I can not what parts out of a whim I decide I want or do not want to keep. You are implying an attitude that is not present in making the decision of what to keep and not to keep.

The main idea is to live by every word of God not pick and choose. But because of circumstances and time some of the things listed in the Old Testament cannot be kept now but may be revived when Christ returns.

In Isaiah 14 it says that regathered Israel will take and possess servants once again. Everyone would agree you can't do that today.

tthttf

Old 11-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
But that would not be true. I keep the commandments, statutes and laws the best I can not what parts out of a whim I decide I want or do not want to keep. You are implying an attitude that is not present in making the decision of what to keep and not to keep.

The main idea is to live by every word of God not pick and choose. But because of circumstances and time some of the things listed in the Old Testament cannot be kept now but may be revived when Christ returns.

In Isaiah 14 it says that regathered Israel will take and possess servants once again. Everyone would agree you can't do that today.

tthttf
Unless you can find a Bible verse that says keep that part of Leviticus about sex but toss out that part about sacrifice, then it is basically the same thing as picking and choosing. Anything but Jesus' words would obviously be inadequate.

BTW, you still didn't say who WE is.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:57 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:

tthttf
Yep, and in the spirit of equality, we can agree that you can't deny same-sex marriage. See how that works? We are not living in a theocracy, we have laws in this country that protect people, even though your Bible doesn't have the same laws, you must abide by the laws of your country.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Yep, and in the spirit of equality, we can agree that you can't deny same-sex marriage. See how that works? We are not living in a theocracy, we have laws in this country that protect people, even though your Bible doesn't have the same laws, you must abide by the laws of your country.
And I am allowed to warn about disobedience to the commandments of God...so far...

Old 11-03-2014, 09:32 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
And I am allowed to warn about disobedience to the commandments of God...so far...
You clearly need to focus on your own disobedience towards his commandments and stop forcing your beliefs on others in a secular country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.