Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,673,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Absolutely horrific things, but what does that have to do with the claim that gays are presently struggling against a level of discrimination that is exactly the same as the civil rights era? I think just about anyone could dig back into the history of their ancestors and find atrocities done to them. You know at one time, Christians were ripped apart by wild animals for the amusement of Roman spectators.
Is Rome in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 AM

61,255 posts, read 87,646,713 times
in the attempt to make a level playing field our government has been stripping away rights for some time. the most serious is mega restrictions on business which only leads to more off shoring and illegal alien hiring.
you cant legislate income equality.

as far as marriage institution failure dont blame that on gays marriage was dying long before the gay movement.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Irrelevant as I fully support gays receiving all the same legal benefits and rights as a married couple. I only take issue when you try to rewrite what God and man has traditionally defined as marriage.
Oh great, the problem is solved then! Gays and lesbians who have a civil union simply need to inform the government that they do have the same rights as a married couple, because jeffbase40 fully supports them! Yay!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I don't believe I specifically claimed that they currently have all the same benefits. I meant that gays would still not be satisfied even if you pass laws giving them all these legal benefits.
Yes, you did.

Quote:
Exactly. This is why gays are not satisfied with civil unions that give all the same legal benefits as a married couple. Equal rights and benefits but that's not good enough. They need that label "married" and to be married in a church because that forces society to accept their lifestyle as being natural and normal.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:01 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,266,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in the attempt to make a level playing field our government has been stripping away rights for some time. the most serious is mega restrictions are on business which only leads to more off shoring and illegal alien hiring.
you cant legislate income equality.
What are you talking about? This thread is about same sex marriage.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:04 AM

10,104 posts, read 5,773,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Nice back pedal, that's not what you said or meant clearly. You said and I quote "This is why gays are not satisfied with civil unions that give all the same legal benefits as a married couple. Equal rights and benefits but that's not good enough."

Zero indication in this sentence that you meant that you "support" equal rights and every indication that you were ignorant to the reality.
Well now you know my position so why the need to bring this up? I am sorry that I wasn't clear in that statement. Perhaps I should have said:

"This is why gays are not satisfied with civil unions that would give all the same legal benefits as a married couple. Equal rights and benefits but that's not good enough."

Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,266,346 times
Quote:
Well now you know my position so why the need to bring this up? I am sorry that I wasn't clear in that statement. Perhaps I should have said:

"This is why gays are not satisfied with civil unions that would give all the same legal benefits as a married couple. Equal rights and benefits but that's not good enough."
All states that prohibited SSM also ban civil unions, of course this has bee pointed many times already.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 AM

10,104 posts, read 5,773,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
No one is forcing any church to marry Same-sex couples. I don't understand why you can't get this? When same-sex marriage became legal in Oklahoma there were several members of the clergy who showed up at the courthouse in downtown Tulsa who were volunteering their services for same-sex couples who want to get married. There are several churches in Tulsa that will marry same-sex couples. I do not know of any case where a same-sex couple wanted to get married in a church that would not allow it. I don't know where you get your information from.
What I get is that just last week, an attempt was made by a gay Houston mayor to cross that line and try to force pastors to submit their sermons for approval. You know, that line that you claim here will NEVER be breached. Sure, the attempt was shot down and the mayor tried to back pedal, but it was really only shot down because we still have good Christian politicians like Ted Cruz who stood a public stand against it.

What will the future be like when we have a lot more gay politicians though? I am willing to bet a majority of Bible belt Okies don't support same sex marriage, but they couldn't stop it. So how could they stop a new law that demands all churches submit their sermons and never preach against homosexuality or face punishment for "hate speech"?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,330,789 times
Quote:
Absolutely horrific things, but what does that have to do with the claim that gays are presently struggling against a level of discrimination that is exactly the same as the civil rights era? I think just about anyone could dig back into the history of their ancestors and find atrocities done to them. You know at one time, Christians were ripped apart by wild animals for the amusement of Roman spectators.
ZERO proof this ever happened, but you already knew this didn't you?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,356,785 times
Quote:
What I get is that just last week, an attempt was made by a gay Houston mayor to cross that line and try to force pastors to submit their sermons for approval. You know, that line that you claim here will NEVER be breached. Sure, the attempt was shot down and the mayor tried to back pedal, but it was really only shot down because we still have good Christian politicians like Ted Cruz who stood a public stand against it.

What will the future be like when we have a lot more gay politicians though? I am willing to bet a majority of Bible belt Okies don't support same sex marriage, but they couldn't stop it. So how could they stop a new law that demands all churches submit their sermons and never preach against homosexuality or face punishment for "hate speech"?
They can stop it the same way politicians are stopping the gay bans... with the courts and the constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity