Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 12:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
This is the intellectual equivalent of stomping your feet on the ground in a fit!
Perfectly captures the sheer, stubborn, childish refusal of the fundamentalist to allow common sense to enter the picture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

Indeed, and you are welcome to protest! Go do it! Speak up for what you believe in! Here's the catch though, you'll have to argue against the constitution while doing so... good freaken luck :-)
Right on! Power to the people! <<raises fist>> In this country he has the right to do that. (First Amendment: freedoms of speech, peaceful assembly and association.)

Of course if he's going to argue before the Supreme Court he'll need to be an attorney and meet certain qualifications. They don't let just anyone wander in and say things like, "I don't like equality under the law and I'm not crazy about the 14th Amendment."

So he'll need to study, study, study. Owning a really nice suit would also help.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-24-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And I don't think gays were ever segregated to where they had to eat at their own restaurants or bars. Yet this comparison was made:

It is an unfair comparison because it makes the pro-gay side automatically appear more moral. The you have the position - Hey, if you don't accept and embrace the gay lifestyle then you are exactly the same bigot as those horrible people in the civil rights era! At least, that's how it comes across to me.
Nobody is asking you to embrace a lifestyle, because being gay it is not a life style. One of the biggest things black and gays have in common, is overcoming the oppression from the Christian right. Thankfully humans don't have to be Christian to be considered equal under the eyes of the law.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:56 PM

23 posts, read 25,156 times
Quote:
One doesn't involve a moral conflict that is specifically called out as sin numerous times in the Holy Bible. The argument for gay marriage is pretty weak when your side constantly has to tie it at the hip with the civil rights era.
So, am I to understand that you think the civil rights movement was unjustified? Ethnic minorities were once discriminated against, the same as LGBTs are to a (now) lesser extent. So, how is this argument weak?

The vast majority of persons under 30 supports full marriage equality for LGBTs because they understand it is a civil rights issue, period. You're free to make personal judgments all you want, but this doesn't give you -or anyone else- the right to bigotry in legal social affairs like marriage.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:00 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
One doesn't involve a moral conflict that is specifically called out as sin numerous times in the Holy Bible. The argument for gay marriage is pretty weak when your side constantly has to tie it at the hip with the civil rights era.
When your side keeps trying to use the exact same arguments they tried to use against racial civil rights YOU are the one inviting the comparison.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:21 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
But Christian organizations on campus must promote gay leaders? Look past the federal funding defense and try to see that this is an intrusion into Christians religious freedom.
No, it means that if a gay person is nominated for president they must VOTE on whether or not that person is their leader.

You know, sort of like if a black person were nominated for President of the United States. He doesn't become President unless a majority of people VOTE to put him in office.

There are actually millions of people that believe a "black" president was forced down their throats. It should have been illegal for him to run for office.

That's exactly how your pouting appears to the rest of us.

And I'm sure the fine Christian organization on campus is filled with holy, never-sinning individuals, one of whom God Himself selects to be the leader of their prayer group.

Give us a break!

Old 10-24-2014, 01:32 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
This is the intellectual equivalent of stomping your feet on the ground in a fit!
In other words, you have no counter argument.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
In other words, you have no counter argument.
Do you argue with toddlers?

Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
No, my comment is my observation. You contradict yourself and make factually incorrect statements rather frequently.
I would have more respect for you if you followed that statement with "for example". Can you post even one factually incorrect statement that I made? It's simple with me. If I'm wrong, prove it. I'll listen to a good counter argument, but hit and run statements like this or "go educate yourself" are nothing but thinly veiled cheap shots when you don't back it up.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
But Christian organizations on campus must promote gay leaders? Look past the federal funding defense and try to see that this is an intrusion into Christians religious freedom.
Another thing you seem to not understand.

Title IX is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination based on sex in federally funded education programs and activities. It is a portion of the United States Education Amendments signed into law in 1972. If a school accepts federal funding that school is subject to Title IX. it's not a "defense". It's the law.

If a school doesn't want to follow the law, that school can apply for an exemption. Or that school can fund itself and not use federal dollars.

Here's a fuller explanation which I urge you to read. Knowledge is power:

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/title_IX

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-24-2014 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity