Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,381,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Consenting adults should have the freedom to what they please without discrimination... meanwhile polygyny, polyandry and bigamy is still illegal in all 50 states. Interesting.
Not as interesting as you might thing, unless you are trying to set up a false equivalence between these things and homosexuality.

Alas discourse on this subject is too often clouded by people like yourself bring in other subjects. These things you have listed, and other things like incest, need to be discussed on their own merits and demerits. Waltzing into a discussion on homosexuality and bringing up bigamy is just an attempt to muddy the waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Last I checked, none of those things were illegal. Source?
Then you need to check the law again because you were not thorough the first time. Since when has defamation and slander not been illegal for example? They were in your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 04:01 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,381,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Promoting marriage as between one man and one woman as God set it up isn't discrimination. Only humans want to change it, I and most Christians want to follow God's design.
If there was any reason to think a god "set up" anything you might have a point here but the history of marriage is long and it is very much a human made institution. And one that has been changing constantly and wildly over the centuries. So yes, there is discrimination inherent in taking one opinion on marriage and declaring it to be the only, original and eternal definition.

Quote:
I would say the only problem we have in this situation is the gays believe their beliefs should control all.
I am not aware of any gay person espousing any such thing at all. Are you, perhaps, misrepresenting them for propaganda effect?

Quote:
If the Church of Christ wants to marry gays and the majority is fine with it than they can do it.
That would seem to go against your other points in a bit of a self contradictory way. Surely if you think the definition of marriage is set up by god, then you should not care at all what the "majority" want. Even if 100% of humans wanted gay marriage, does that not fail, to your mind, to outweigh the all powerful opinion of your deity? Shifting between democracy and dictatorship does not seem to make any workable sense. Either this gods opinion over rules all others, or it does not. Which is it?

Quote:
That Steven Weinberg. Isn't he an atheist? Nice guy to tell us about religion.
Atheism does not preclude commentary on religion, any more than being male precludes me from talking about womens rights. Or being straight precludes you from discussing homosexuality. You are engaging in the fallacy of ad hominem by dismissing his opinion for being atheist.

Quote:
That's next.
Perhaps it is best to stick to the topic without fantasizing about what may or may not come next.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
From the article:

I don't question God. The Lord is my Shepherd and I shall put none above Him. Which is why I know that if it were part of God's plan for me to stop viciously condemning others based solely on their sexual preference, He would have seen fit—in His infinite wisdom and all—to have given me the tiniest bit of human empathy necessary to do so.
It's a simple matter of logic, really. God made me who I am, and who I am is a cold, anti-gay zealot. Thus, I abhor gay people because God made me that way. Why is that so hard to understand?
Here, let's start with the basic facts: I hate and fear gay people. The way they feel is different from how I feel, and that causes me a lot of confusion and anger. Everyone knows God is all-powerful. He could easily have given me the capacity to investigate what's behind those feelings rather than tell strangers in the park they're going to hell for holding hands. But God clearly has another path for me. And who am I to question His divine will?

I can see several CD regs nodding....

Old 10-27-2014, 11:50 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
From the article:

I don't question God. The Lord is my Shepherd and I shall put none above Him. Which is why I know that if it were part of God's plan for me to stop viciously condemning others based solely on their sexual preference, He would have seen fit—in His infinite wisdom and all—to have given me the tiniest bit of human empathy necessary to do so.
It's a simple matter of logic, really. God made me who I am, and who I am is a cold, anti-gay zealot. Thus, I abhor gay people because God made me that way. Why is that so hard to understand?
Here, let's start with the basic facts: I hate and fear gay people. The way they feel is different from how I feel, and that causes me a lot of confusion and anger. Everyone knows God is all-powerful. He could easily have given me the capacity to investigate what's behind those feelings rather than tell strangers in the park they're going to hell for holding hands. But God clearly has another path for me. And who am I to question His divine will?

I can see several CD regs nodding....
But she missed the lesson about God being all about love. We are not to hate our neighbor but we are also not to accept his sin. We are not to hate those who commit any sin but are we to ignore it if it comes to making us accept things God told us not to accept? To look the other way?

Actually, most of us would like to look the other way and let people just live their own lives but the militant gays won't allow it, not until their lifestyle is accepted and sanctioned by the Church, etc, or they will shut their business and Church down, if they can.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,399,751 times
Quote:
But she missed the lesson about God being all about love. We are not to hate our neighbor but we are also not to accept his sin. We are not to hate those who commit any sin but are we to ignore it if it comes to making us accept things God told us not to accept? To look the other way?

Actually, most of us would like to look the other way and let people just live their own lives but the militant gays won't allow it, not until their lifestyle is accepted and sanctioned by the Church, etc, or they will shut their business and Church down, if they can.
There you go again, breaking the 9th Commandment. Should others not point out to you your repeated flouting of this commandment? You also continually flout what Jesus called the second greatest commandment. Should others not point your repeated sinning out to you?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:42 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,725,282 times
Quote:

Love cannot go far or reach very high without esteem. It is as crippled as an angel with one wing.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
There you go again, breaking the 9th Commandment. Should others not point out to you your repeated flouting of this commandment? You also continually flout what Jesus called the second greatest commandment. Should others not point your repeated sinning out to you?
Which is what?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Love cannot go far or reach very high without esteem. It is as crippled as an angel with one wing.
What are you saying?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:14 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,399,751 times
Quote:
Which is what?
You don't know the 9th commandment or Christ's second greatest commandment?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
You don't know the 9th commandment or Christ's second greatest commandment?
Love your neighbor as yourself. I posted about that, we should not accept our neighbor's sin but we still need to love him. And what are you saying about the 9th commandant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity