Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 11:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
But if you can't figure that out then how do you know gays should be able to marry? Just because you feel a certain way? There has to be a reasoning for allowing gays to marry but not parent/children or siblings. The arguments you make for gay marriage can apply to them as well.
Because the issue of SSM is not the same as the issue of marrying your child.

And you are incorrect. There has to be a reason to DENY rights not to ALLOW rights. We are all guaranteed equal protection of the laws under our constitution.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Are we talking about gender or sexual orientation? I am sure I said Sexual Orientation is not the same as race. I said nothing about gender.
The distinction on a marriage licence is GENDER. I am homosexual I am not banned from getting married because of my sexual orientation , but I am denied marrying a woman because of the GENDER of the people entering into the legal contract.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,407 times
Quote:
That's your choice. If you truly love someone than the laws won't stop you from committing to that person. I understand your point of view though, I just respectfully disagree, but I will say that if I was in the same situation where I couldn't marry my wife in my state, I would do what I can to make it happen. The law would not stop me from committing to her. Having benefits are great but that is not what a relationship is based on.
There is no respectful disagreement. You denying our ability to have the same rights as you is anything but respectful

Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
It depends on where the country got it's definition. There are many definition of the word but based on the history of our country, it seems that one man and one woman was a part of that original definition.
"Seems to me"? I showed you the origins of the word marriage, and you respond with "seems to me"?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:11 AM

I have shown proof in the constitution.
I have shown proof in etymology.
I have shown proof in history.

You have shown "but my religion says" and "seems to me" and "why should you be allowed".

1. YOUR religion doesn't get to force it's beliefs on me.
2. Your beliefs do not trump the US constitution.
3. Equal protection of the laws belongs to ALL citizens.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a believer and I want to follow the bible. But I just struggle with the fact that there are people out there who cannot ever enter into a true and loving relationship throughout their entire lives simply because they are attracted to the same sex. And I don't know the percentage of the population that is gay, but if it's like 10%, that's a lot of people who must go through life denying themselves. It just does not seem fair.

I'm perfectly fine with the rule that I cannot have sex outside of marriage, because I know that eventually, I will get married and be able to have sex. (even if it will be when I'm 50 and dried up!) But to walk through life knowing that I can't ever be with someone I love and am attracted to? That is just a heavy burden I surely would not want!!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:14 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Because the issue of SSM is not the same as the issue of marrying your child.

And you are incorrect. There has to be a reason to DENY rights not to ALLOW rights. We are all guaranteed equal protection of the laws under our constitution.
And I am asking you again what is a reasonable reason to deny a parent from marrying their child.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The distinction on a marriage licence is GENDER. I am homosexual I am not banned from getting married because of my sexual orientation , but I am denied marrying a woman because of the GENDER of the people entering into the legal contract.
You as a woman can marry = Not a gender issue

However you cannot marry another woman = A sexual orientation issue.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I have shown proof in the constitution.
I have shown proof in etymology.
I have shown proof in history.

You have shown "but my religion says" and "seems to me" and "why should you be allowed".

1. YOUR religion doesn't get to force it's beliefs on me.
2. Your beliefs do not trump the US constitution.
3. Equal protection of the laws belongs to ALL citizens.
I have said nothing about my religion in justifying the law.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
But you aren't explaining why they should not be allowed. The law is not a reason. I am asking you what would the reason for such a law be based on.
It shouldn't be allowed because an adult's relationship with their child is not sexual or romantic in nature. Adults should never think of any child in those terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity