Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a believer and I want to follow the bible. But I just struggle with the fact that there are people out there who cannot ever enter into a true and loving relationship throughout their entire lives simply because they are attracted to the same sex. And I don't know the percentage of the population that is gay, but if it's like 10%, that's a lot of people who must go through life denying themselves. It just does not seem fair.

I'm perfectly fine with the rule that I cannot have sex outside of marriage, because I know that eventually, I will get married and be able to have sex. (even if it will be when I'm 50 and dried up!) But to walk through life knowing that I can't ever be with someone I love and am attracted to? That is just a heavy burden I surely would not want!!
So would you justify adultery? Couldn't you make the same argument for someone that is already married and falls in love with someone else? At what point does sin matter?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:22 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It shouldn't be allowed because an adult's relationship with their child is not sexual or romantic in nature. Adults should never think of any child in those terms.
Then I can say two men or two women should not be romantically linked. What makes what you said more valid than what I said?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
And I am asking you again what is a reasonable reason to deny a parent from marrying their child.
And I am telling you again, I am not a lawyer and was not involved in creating those laws. If you want an answer, go ask them. Marrying a child is not my concern. IF the issue ever comes to court I will look at the facts presented and make a determination then. I don't deal in hypothetical situations when reality is right here and is biting me in the butt.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You as a woman can marry = Not a gender issue

However you cannot marry another woman = A sexual orientation issue.
Man can marry woman but woman can not marry woman. Discrimination based on the GENDER of the people getting married.

White can marry white, black can not marry white. Discrimination based on RACE.

Both blacks and whites could get married to someone of their own race, thus no discrimination. Right?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:26 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Not true. Look it up. Polygamy existed after our country was established.
I just did. I find no source at all stating polygamy has ever been legal. Wikipedia says it has never been legal in North America (not just US). Please cite a source stating differently.

Quote:
There aren't any laws because men cannot breastfeed their children. It is understood that some things men do women can't and vice versa. You can't cry gender discrimination just because. Based on the way marriage was defined, there is no discrimination.
Women aren't allowed breastfeeding breaks simply because they are women; they are allowed breastfeeding breaks only if they are breastfeeding.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I have said nothing about my religion in justifying the law.
The only thing needed in regards to the law is the US constitution.

Amendment XIV

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

That is all that needs to be said regarding unequal treatment under the law. And it is the very thing all of the courts have decided too.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Then I can say two men or two women should not be romantically linked. What makes what you said more valid than what I said?
Adults, capable of legal consent.
Children not capable of legal consent.

But you know you're right. Incest should be legal since your bible says it's ok. I mean Adam and Eves kids had to reproduce with someone. Right?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You as a woman can marry = Not a gender issue

However you cannot marry another woman = A sexual orientation issue.
Nonsense. Where on the marriage license are people asked if they are sexually attracted to the person they are marrying?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
So would you justify adultery? Couldn't you make the same argument for someone that is already married and falls in love with someone else? At what point does sin matter?
"Sin" is a religious concept, not a legal concept.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
The law recognizes that minors are not able to give consent for sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity