Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
This is baiting so I need to say no more. I'll just remind you that the topic of the thread is homosexuality.
You spend your whole time pointing your finger at others, especially gay folks, but you don't like it when when your faults are pointed out. You point your finger at the gays as if you were at a church sponsored shooting range. I'm just firing back.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
most Jews in America don't believe in the Torah as the word of God
That is quite interesting. The religion of Judaism, the first religion of the "book," now rejects the book? If it is openly rejected why do the prominent "heresies" of Judaism feel a need to reinterpret it.

As much as fundamentalists in Christianity claim that the liberal thought rejects scripture, most of us do not. We reinterpret it in light of morality that should always be growing, and in light of our understanding of the inner teaching of the Holy Spirit. This is why rejecting people for religious tenets--be they homosexuals or Jews (often historically looked upon in the same fashion as homosexuals) or even Muslims is anathema to us. That is not to say we necessarily agree with anything they believe or practice.

I know how homosexuals feel about being denied service because of what they are rather than who they are. Are Jews open to being denied public services for being Jewish? At one time our fundamentalist sect thought that was equally acceptable behavior, as was the denial of service to blacks--and it was all perfectly legitimate in the eyes of God and "easily" proved by scripture from both Old and New Testaments.

But it is quite interesting that most Jews don't believe the Torah as the word of God. If we could get many Christians to that point, we might do away with a lot of these ugly, gay-bashing threads on CD.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:51 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
So the Orthodox Jewish community are as obsessed with homosexuality as fundamentalist Christians?

Someone needs to remind you all that this is the 21st century.
We don't change our values.
our values our correct your are just going back to your ancient roots of of people who most likely murdered my people.

this is not the first time Jews were attacked for refusing to accept homosexuality this was done in the time of the Greeks and Romans also.

our values changed the world to be against it.

Those values of the Romans led to the murder of millions of Jews.

remember mass tolerance for homosexual relations was more wide spread in the Roman Empire than it is today. Then only Jews opposed it.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
That is quite interesting. The religion of Judaism, the first religion of the "book," now rejects the book? If it is openly rejected why do the prominent "heresies" of Judaism feel a need to reinterpret it.
because then they would have to keep the Torah, no working (driving a car for example) on sabbath, no eating pig, not being able to be with your wife sexualy when ever you desire it.

In short most people don't want to obey a higher power

Quote:
As much as fundamentalists in Christianity claim that the liberal thought rejects scripture, most of us do not. We reinterpret it in light of morality that should always be growing, and in light of our understanding of the inner teaching of the Holy Spirit. This is why rejecting people for religious tenets--be they homosexuals or Jews (often historically looked upon in the same fashion as homosexuals) or even Muslims is anathema to us. That is not to say we necessarily agree with anything they believe or practice.
If you choose to be a evil person there is nothing I can do about it, I commented on this forum only due to the fact that I saw in a search that you half quoted Jewish sources to go against Judaism in ways that are counter to the very people you quoted. Thus i felt it was my obligation to protect the Torah and the good names of all those who you quoted

Quote:
I know how homosexuals feel about being denied service because of what they are rather than who they are. Are Jews open to being denied public services for being Jewish?
1. If you are selling non kosher food (or any other forbidden thing) I will be very happy if you refuse to sell it to a Jew
2. I rather not be able to buy something in a store because the owner is an antisemite then be forced to rent a wedding hall to a evil ceremony of a same sex "Wedding"

Quote:
At one time our fundamentalist sect thought that was equally acceptable behavior, as was the denial of service to blacks--and it was all perfectly legitimate in the eyes of God and "easily" proved by scripture from both Old and New Testaments.

But it is quite interesting that most Jews don't believe the Torah as the word of God. If we could get many Christians to that point, we might do away with a lot of these ugly, gay-bashing threads on CD.
And then we will get persecution the likes of which this country has never seen of religious people.

liberal values
being against homosexuality bad, 1st amendment bad.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:08 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So, anyone that has ever divorced for non biblical reasons, anyone that has ever lied, or cheated, etc. So, basically everyone.

Here is a partial list.
A Bible study on Sin (Part-6A)

Tell me that no one that has committed any of these sins is not allowed to go to church. I thought churches were places where sinners are supposed to go.
Church is a place where sinners go to confess and turn from their sin, and towards righteousness. When you go to a hospital, you expect to get better. Disease and sickness are fought against, not tolerated. Sin confessed is healing.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The only reason we talk about it a lot is because your side constantly keeps throwing it in our face and making it a part of Christian organizations like the Boy Scouts.

Here's another example. I've been a big fan of Survivor since the beginning. It's a great show, and faith has often played a part of it. Yet last night, I had to watch two gay men embrace and kiss. Now think about something like incest and tell me if you would like your favorite tv show to start showing such things.
Not to mention finding such things in a book which is held in high regard by many:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...38&version=KJV

Old 10-26-2014, 11:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
You spend your whole time pointing your finger at others, especially gay folks, but you don't like it when when your faults are pointed out.
According to what I've read on the many gay threads started by conservative Christians..... they should be grateful someone is telling them they need to work on themselves. They are sinners. Says so right there in the Bible they use to judge gays.

Each and every Christian who thinks he needs to 'correct a gay", (which, like 'whack a mole', is done by bashing one every time he appears) should be happy to be reminded they are dreadful sinners themselves.... so they can stop sinning..... steer themselves away from Satan's clutches..... and repent.

Otherwise, let's face the truth, they're a bunch of hypocrites.

Technically, according to the rules of his own religion, that poster should be thanking you.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-26-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 11:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
Do you honestly think that a gay person could go to church, confess and be "healed" from being gay? Hogwash! They aren't commiting sins, they are loving someone of the opposite sex. Everyone seems to FOCUS on the sexual ACT and not the fact that they love each other. What anyone does in private is NO one's business. Let God make the decision at the end of their lives. If He deems it a sin, then so be it.

Why do so many priests get caught diddling with little boys? There is only one person deemed by the Catholic church higher than a priest, and that's the Pope. Explain how a Priest isn't an ultimate sinner commiting such atrocities on young boys? (and girls once in a while)

Old 10-26-2014, 11:42 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
In short most people don't want to obey a higher power.
Religiosity, or the religious beliefs of mankind are not a higher-power.

Practicing certain rituals, the retelling of stories, revering certain aspects of symbols?
Or embracing the various doctrines of men, does not make one - all knowing?

Old 10-26-2014, 12:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Church is a place where sinners go to confess and turn from their sin, and towards righteousness. When you go to a hospital, you expect to get better. Disease and sickness are fought against, not tolerated. Sin confessed is healing.
Yet divorced people are allowed to attend church after they remarry. If their divorce was not for a biblical reason, then remarriage is living in a continued state of adultery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity