Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

I would have thought that by the 21st century we would have outgrown the silly idea that sin is some capricious prohibition from God dependent on His whim or preference. Our ignorant primitive ancestors believed it and recorded what they believed God considered sin . . . without ever concerning themselves with why it was a sin. Far too many today retain that lack of concern and blindly follow what our primitive ancestors believed to be sin. Modern intelligent people should expect more reason and rationality to prevail. We have over 2000+ years of accumulated knowledge and understanding. Ignoring all that in favor of the recordings and beliefs of ignorant primitives is just ridiculous.

God establishes our purpose for existing and sin is whatever is destructive to that purpose, period. God IS agape love and we are supposed to produce as much of it as possible during our lives. Therefore sin is whatever is destructive of agape love . . . not some list of prohibitions recorded by our ignorant primitive ancestors. We are NOT pets in obedience training learning the appropriate list of tricks. We are children in the process of maturing learning agape love for life. There is no way that ANY act done in agape love could ever be a sin, period. The key is the state of mind . . . not some specific set of acts.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:43 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no way that ANY act done in agape love could ever be a sin, period. The key is the state of mind . . . not some specific set of acts.
I really like this. I actually needed to hear that today. Thank you.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:44 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I missed that. I would like to see what you are talking about though.

Why do you feel attacked? This is the viewpoint of many Christians. You obviously disagree. There are many things in the world that groups believe that you will probably disagree with. Why make these things personal? Why not accept the fact that people will not agree with what you do? Why does the views of strangers on the internet bother you so much? At the end of the day, we have no control over what choices you make. Why get so consumed by this?
I take these things personally because people are giving money to churches, and personally funding groups that are actively seeking to deny me equal rights. When something like my inability to get the same legal protections for my family happens, I tend to take it personally as it has a very real and negative effect on my life.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
It's fine because, if they didn't have those interactions in some form or another, you wouldn't exist right? It's a part of our existence. To the poster's point, would you see other forms of relationships shown in the same manner as the homosexual couples? I think that is the point he is making. It's not about avoiding it, it's about having it being indoctrinated.
As I stated earlier, Survivor has people from all walks of life. I don't feel indoctrinated when someone starts preaching about god on the show. I'm sure you can watch people from all walks of life on a reality TV show without feeling indoctrinated because one couple is gay.

Homosexuals also exist because their parents had interactions with each other, just like my parents and your parents. I'm married and childfree, that doesn't make my marriage any less valid than someone who chose to have children.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I take these things personally because people are giving money to churches, and personally funding groups that are actively seeking to deny me equal rights. When something like my inability to get the same legal protections for my family happens, I tend to take it personally as it has a very real and negative effect on my life.
Why do you care what people do with their money? At the end of the day, what people spend their money on, has nothing to do with you or anything that you can control.

What legal protection are you referring to? Gay have rights. They have ability to do much of what the rest of the country can do, if not more. Gay rights is more prevalent now than it's ever been. Is there discrimination against them? There is discrimination against almost every single group of people in this country.

At the end of the day though, whether I agree with you or not is not going to change and arguing with people about their beliefs on an internet forum is not going to change anything for you.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Can you and other people argue a point without making it a personal attack on someone? I honestly don't mind the discussion, even when there is disagreement, but the constant bickering like a school age child is getting old.
Jjrose was giving good advice, it was not a personal attack.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
As I stated earlier, Survivor has people from all walks of life. I don't feel indoctrinated when someone starts preaching about god on the show. I'm sure you can watch people from all walks of life on a reality TV show without feeling indoctrinated because one couple is gay.
That's your feelings and you are entitled to them, but understand that people who do not agree with you, are entitled to theirs. If they feel that there is too much going on, then that is their feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Homosexuals also exist because their parents had interactions with each other, just like my parents and your parents. I'm married and childfree, that doesn't make my marriage any less valid than someone who chose to have children.
You are going off base here. That isn't my point at all. My point is, it took for a man and woman to come together to conceive you and to conceive me. That is a fact of life. We cannot run from it. Not showing that doesn't change that fact. Showing homosexuals is not the same. People will react a certain way because it's just something that most people do not expect or are accustomed to. When you see a person, people are just not going to associate the average person with being gay.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Why do you care what people do with their money? At the end of the day, what people spend their money on, has nothing to do with you or anything that you can control.

What legal protection are you referring to? Gay have rights. They have ability to do much of what the rest of the country can do, if not more. Gay rights is more prevalent now than it's ever been. Is there discrimination against them? There is discrimination against almost every single group of people in this country.

At the end of the day though, whether I agree with you or not is not going to change and arguing with people about their beliefs on an internet forum is not going to change anything for you.
I care because they are ACTIVELY using their money to deny me equal rights. Why is that so hard for you to understand? If I were actively trying to get your rights banned, don't you think you might take it a little personally? This is not a mere disagreement. That would be like saying my rights are equal to a discussion on which flavor of ice cream is best, or which pro ball team is the best. No, this is denying me the same rights you have. You can think whatever you want to about me, I don't care, but when you are actively messing with my life and my rights, we have a problem.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
That's your feelings and you are entitled to them, but understand that people who do not agree with you, are entitled to theirs. If they feel that there is too much going on, then that is their feelings.

You are going off base here. That isn't my point at all. My point is, it took for a man and woman to come together to conceive you and to conceive me. That is a fact of life. We cannot run from it. Not showing that doesn't change that fact. Showing homosexuals is not the same. People will react a certain way because it's just something that most people do not expect or are accustomed to. When you see a person, people are just not going to associate the average person with being gay.
Every gay person on the planet--was born because of a heterosexual relationship. Heterosexual relationships should be banned in order to rid the world of homosexuality.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Jjrose was giving good advice, it was not a personal attack.
Yes it was, it has nothing to do with the topic. If we are having a discussion, the job shouldn't be to tell people what they should be doing, but rather explaining why you disagree with the topic. The problem is, people taking these topics way too personally and they feel attacked. If you aren't prepared to have an adult conversation because this topic is sensitive to you, then maybe the best thing for you to do, is to remove yourself from the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity