Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 07:39 PM

124 posts, read 118,574 times

Advertisements

I went to my friends church, they don't wear wedding rings, don't have any facial hair and women have to wear skirts only, and men can only wear long sleeve shirts.

Normal for conservative church, the Holy Spirit is there, but what got me worried is that they are almost overly focused on the holy spirit, not Jesus or the Father.

On a presentation the pastor said that the Father in the bible was another name for Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is Jesus, and all the same person, Jesus. They don't acknowledge 3 distinct beings, just say they are all Jesus? I think that denies him as being 3 parts, and you need to overlook a lot of the scripture to come that conclusion. And me a young person saying anything to these older men, who think they are Gods elite- well you know how that would go.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:53 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
It sounds like they are Oneness Pentecostals. God bless

Oneness Pentecostalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2014, 07:53 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmagnum View Post
I went to my friends church, they don't wear wedding rings, don't have any facial hair and women have to wear skirts only, and men can only wear long sleeve shirts.

Normal for conservative church, the Holy Spirit is there, but what got me worried is that they are almost overly focused on the holy spirit, not Jesus or the Father.

On a presentation the pastor said that the Father in the bible was another name for Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is Jesus, and all the same person, Jesus. They don't acknowledge 3 distinct beings, just say they are all Jesus? I think that denies him as being 3 parts, and you need to overlook a lot of the scripture to come that conclusion. And me a young person saying anything to these older men, who think they are Gods elite- well you know how that would go.
The church you went to might be a 'Oneness Pentecostal' church.

Read the following article on the website Gotquestions.org - Bible Questions Answered

Here is an excerpt:
The third division is the Oneness Pentecostals. At the meeting which formed the Church of God in Christ (1914), there was intense debate over Trinitarian doctrine. While the majority of Holiness believers held to the traditional belief in the Trinity, there was a growing group which held to a modalist belief and affirmed that baptism should be done in Jesus' name only. Another tenet of this group is the necessity of speaking in tongues as evidence of salvation. This group was to form the United Pentecostal Church and the Apostolic Pentecostal Church, among others.

Read more: What is the Pentecostal Church and what do Pentecostals believe?

Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:

That is the belief of many conservative evangelical churches. That is once what I believed. But a careful study of scripture using the oldest manuscripts is very weak with that regard. It's absolutely not clear. Some study about the doctrine of the trinity--both for and against--may help you decided for yourself. There are a number of different translations of the verses that the doctrine of trinity has traditionally relied upon. Those verses are found in I John 5:7-8.

Here is the traditional reading as posted in the King James Version of the Bible. The KJV was a translation that was not using the earliest manuscripts of that letter--the reason was--they hadn't been found.

Quote:
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word (conservatives think this means Jesus), and the Holy Ghost, and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth; the spirit, and the water, and the blood, and these three are in agreement.
However earlier dated manuscripts read thusly:

Quote:
For there are three that testify: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
Obviously the first translation makes the Trinity look very strong. But the Septuagint (Greek Bible) from which it was translated was dated to around the twelfth century--so its not nearly so old.

The oldest manuscripts read as the second quote above. It isn't nearly so obvious as the first one. Why would the first one be different? Because by the time that Septuagint was composed many in the early Roman church had already adopted the belief of the Trinity. Most likely some copyist wanted to make it very clear and added the additional words.

But here is the thing you need to keep in mind---it is not a cardinal doctrine for being a Christian. It is not necessary to believe that in order to be a Christian. Believing in Jesus is very important, but equally important is the change it should make in your life. It should change your view about others to be far more positive and accepting--the way Jesus Himself is described in the gospels. It should make you hunger and thirst for more knowledge--and knowledge is far more than you will ever get in any Sunday School class.

Whatever your views are now, if they haven't changed in ten years or so, then it is doubtful that you are growing as a Christian. Keep seeking, don't accept anyone's word on face value--including my own. Discover for yourself.

God bless you on your journey.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:01 PM

124 posts, read 118,574 times
Thank you! I sure will

Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 AM

238 posts, read 270,520 times
Yes, IMO, where you went was a Oneness pentecostal church.
As far as I know, all other pentecostals and charismatics strongly believe in the Trinity.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 AM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:

Most Pentecostal denominations ascribe to the doctrine of the Trinity. Also, most wear wedding rings, may have facial hair, women wear slacks and normal attire. Depending upon the culture of the church or the region, modesty may be stressed more at some churches. Skirts that reach the floor and women who never cut their hair and wear it in buns on top of their head, are mostly in the apostolic denominations, some of which are Oneness.

This was, as others have said, a "Oneness Pentecostal" church.

The largest Pentecostal denominations in the US - The Assemblies of God and most churches that call themselves "Church of God" believe in the trinity and do not practice these customs.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:45 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,007 times
Quote:

that pastor is right, JESUS is the Holy Spirit. and there is no 3 parts to God at all.

people for centuries have been saying Father, Son, Holy Spirit. the correct way is Holy Spirit, and Holy Spirit Only. I know this sound foreign to you, because you have been programmed to say it as Father, son, and the Holy Ghost/Spirit. but all the TRUE followers, knows it is only the Spirit, and he the Spirit, is in flesh as a man.

and NO I'N not ONESNESS, not as men define it.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:15 PM

238 posts, read 270,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
... you have been programmed to say it as Father, son, and the Holy Ghost/Spirit.
Yes, 'tis absolutely true, I have been programmed to believe in the Trinity!
And what programmed me was that part of God's word called the NT.
Care to see 70+ verses which teach the Triune Godhead?

Old 10-26-2014, 01:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist-77 View Post
Yes, 'tis absolutely true, I have been programmed to believe in the Trinity!
And what programmed me was that part of God's word called the NT.
Care to see 70+ verses which teach the Triune Godhead?
yes go ahead, at your leisure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity