Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 09:51 AM

417 posts, read 1,128,607 times

Advertisements

Pride indicates we feel superior to someone or something else, which cannot be Christian, right? Or that we feel we deserve something in life here on earth, when in actuality all we are genuinely deserving of is God's love and forgiveness. This whole question is very new for me, and I truly feel it's an important part of my spiritual growth, but I have to get a better handle on it. I have always been a very insecure person, so pride has been a crutch for me in almost every situation in my life - being able to draw upon pride in my family heritage, my hair color, my skill with the English language, even pride in my poverty-stricken upbringing. Now, in my 50's, I'm trying to let go of that crutch and transfer my dependence on God alone. Any insight or advice would be very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:23 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,236 times
Pride is the exaltation of ‘self’ – the ‘I’ this and ‘I’ that, or as Satan said, when he wanted to become like God “I will” ascend, “I will” become like God, etc. The concept of being a believer in Jesus, and being born from above, i.e. one who’s spirit is made alive through and in Christ, is that the ‘I’ should decrease and ‘He’ should increase, as John the Baptist said. God through the Holy Spirit becomes magnified in our lives, so that our own self opinions, ideas, and yes, even our ‘self’-worth dwindles and becomes supplanted by His opinions, His ideas and His worth. That is the inner witness and work of the Holy Spirit, and all believers need to know that inner working and power. I’ve seen first-hand, ministers with critical self-worth issues, even though they could minister in the power of the Holy Spirit – laying on of hands and seeing people touched by God, but because of a stronghold of rejection, ‘self’-worth was the foundation that their wellbeing was built upon, and they were not aware of it, except that they were critically wounded and hurt by what people had said and done to them in the past. The only way to deal with that issue is repent of ‘trying’ to ‘feel good’, out of your own resources (all the things you mention). The process of feeling good in God is the inward renewing of the Holy Spirit – no-one can ‘work’ that up – it requires repentance, submission and surrender of our fleshly thoughts and ideas about how to conjour up happiness or joy for ourselves. God sometimes miraculously ministers to us and heals people of things: smoking, bitterness, physical healing etc., However, there is a process of wrestling also, as Jacob found out, or putting off and putting on to move forward. It is necessary to believe in the power of the Holy Spirit to accomplish and finish the work in you, to achieve the inner renewing – if you don’t believe that or are surrounded by people who don’t believe it, how can you ever access that place in God…? The truth is that it is yours, in Christ.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
So I cannot have "pride" in my accomplishments?

Old 10-29-2014, 08:51 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,236 times
Of course you can. There is always the joy of a finished work. Being careful not to 'boast' in ones achievements is however important. An overamount of boasting is a key indicator of self dependency, and a need for affirmation. You know the type; them that are always going on about what they have done...

Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So I cannot have "pride" in my accomplishments?
The word pride is not accountable with achievements. Is it you who overcame or was it the maker tempering you to become stronger.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:15 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Serve God by serving others. Get involved in a ministry. Visit a nursing home, a jail. Volunteer at a food pantry. Feed the homeless.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Jesus told His disciples ...`` Don`t forget the leaven `` which is a metaphor for the yeast that puffs up the bread , and then means puffed up in pride , which was the doctrine of the Pharisees who were arrogant ........................ Even When Jesus talked about the new wine skin as a metaphor for an anointing of Christ or gifts of the Holy Spirit , and Jesus said He would not put new wine in an old wine skin as it could have leaven in it where new wine in an old skin would burst as it would puff up and burst , as the metaphor of pride in the heart would corrupt new gifts of Christ as pride would not be a welcome to Holy Spirit ................... One way to resist pride is to first acknowledge pride and even rebuke all mention of pride through your life to Jesus .................... See God will bless people who keep humble .....................And there is a devil which is a red serpent who has spiritual authority over pride , so resisting this spirit is a must , as if people fail to resist then this can attract more demons which will not be needed at all especially for Christians...... Jesus said when we give charity in pride and not in faith to Jesus , then These people got their reward and Jesus does not have to bless them which Jesus promised in His Word of God

Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Serve God by serving others. Get involved in a ministry. Visit a nursing home, a jail. Volunteer at a food pantry. Feed the homeless.
You forgot the most important act...

Spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. What good is a full belly or a happy heart if they lose their soul?

Old 10-29-2014, 07:00 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
In addition to what others have said, if you can keep in mind that everything you have, have ever had, and ever will have or be comes from God anyway, this will take care of pride. We really have no right to be arrogant or prideful about anything. When we recognize that God has all rights to us and anything we may have accomplished by the fact that He is our Creator, pride is replaced with thankfulness and awe, in my view. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-29-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
You forgot the most important act...

Spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. What good is a full belly or a happy heart if they lose their soul?
1) Doing ministry takes one's mind off self.

2) Jesus always took care of the basic need first. A lost person won't listen if their belly is empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity