Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:15 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Indeed it was. And he is now removed from Argentine politics. (Context matters.) But if we're going to play "pull up a quote from the Pope", here's one that he said after he actually became Pope:

"Who am I to judge?"

(GREAT post, Trout. )
Pope Francis has consistently taught a greater compassion for those who feel a same-sex attraction, and that the Church should find new ways to reach out to those who feel such an attraction and are still trying to live a life of chastity, and draw them back into the Church. This is entirely in teaching with the Catechism, and is what we should do. We should hate the sin but live the sinner.

Re "Who am I to judge," his statement was in response to a question regarding a cleric who reportedly felt a same-sex attraction but who said he was committed to live a celibate life, and was reputed to be part of what some have claimed was a "gay mafia" within the Vatican. When questioned about this statement, Pope Francis said "There’s a lot of talk about the gay lobby, but I’ve never seen it on the Vatican ID card.
When I meet a gay person, I have to distinguish between their being gay and being part of a lobby. If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn’t be marginalized. The tendency is not the problem … they’re our brothers."

That's a good sentiment. It's not like he was saying the Church will now ignore sexual sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That was four years ago.

I think the man may be evolving before our eyes. Certainly, the wellspring of his humanity seems to be deepening - at least to me.

I believe his election to his religion's highest office has completely humbled him - has shattered him - in a good way. His humility gives him courage. He has nothing to prove and everything to demonstrate. And a humble man of courage is exactly what the world needs at the helm of Christianity's still-most-important church.

Stay tuned. I fervently hope he manages to stay alive for a few more years. I hope those close to him, love him. Because I fear they will be tested - perhaps often.
I couldn't agree with you more. But I think his humanity has always been in evidence.

(Plus, he was a bouncer in a tango bar and taught high school chemistry. Gotta admire that background.)

Old 10-28-2014, 11:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Indeed it was. And he is now removed from Argentine politics. (Context matters.) But if we're going to play "pull up a quote from the Pope", here's one that he said after he actually became Pope:

"Who am I to judge?"

(GREAT post, Trout. )
Sorry for Jesus, but Paul says "Christians" should be judges of men as men are judges of men, as they are judges of men and angels in the afterlife. (The good people are horrified by such egotist ideas). Read his letters about keeping legal problems and marriage problems swepted under the rug so that society doesn't notice how vile the people he sold hope to (and collected money from) were.
I truly hate the hypocrites that bear their rotten spoiled fruit, Marriage is at least a lesser good than celibacy if not a lesser evil than fornication, either way it is a lesser glory to God, St. Paul mentions that. Imagine the carelessness of those who breed their lusts and biological needs into Judgment Times!

Moderator cut: Removed political discourse paragraph.

It's good to have compassion for a greater share of the people in plight, but it's also just as convenient to do nothing for them. Under Vatican Law, to my understanding, the Pope voted in by the Oligarchy of Bishops is the ultimate King and Dictator of the City-State of the Vatican for Self-Appointed Term.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-29-2014 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: removing politics

Old 10-29-2014, 12:17 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Are we supposed to be shocked that the Pope would be in favor of the Sacrament of Marriage? If the media ignores it, it's because what he said..... isn't news.
Yup.

You'll all please forgive my not falling down dead at the news that the Pope just expressed some conservative church views.

I'm expecting this breaking newscast to be followed by the shocker sub-heads "Water is Still Wet" and "In Other News Today: Generalissimo Franco is still dead."

Last edited by JerZ; 10-29-2014 at 12:34 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 12:28 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Are we supposed to be shocked that the Pope would be in favor of the Sacrament of Marriage? If the media ignores it, it's because what he said..... isn't news.
No. If they ignore it--and they did--it's because he's not saying something they can misconstrue as being a change in church doctrine.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
No. If they ignore it--and they did--it's because he's not saying something they can misconstrue as being a change in church doctrine.
Which is actually not all that weird, nor does it show some sort of agenda or anything.

"The Pope said something that really, really sounds like it's against church doctrine" = news.
"The Pope repeated church doctrine that's hundreds of years old" = not news.

News is just that...news. From the root word, well, "new."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity