Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:00 PM

124 posts, read 118,583 times

Advertisements

I've never understood why the other brother was envious or disappointed with his father when he celebrated about his lost son who came back home, but now I do.

Earlier in my life, I never was jealous of others or their blessings. I was very thankful and very happy for them. Why be jealous? Be happy they got that blessing. I was happy giving and I was content.

But recently in my life, things haven't been going as good. I feel that my giving, all my actions, being kind, nice, bending over backwards was all for nothing. Instead I see others, who i have grown up with in my life be blessed more and more. Nothing was returned for me, but others get greatly, even things that I have desired. And when God is silent it hurts, it's a stabbing in my heart. I Can only assume it's either hard work and they earned it, or and God is involved and blessed them. And they are believers and non believers who are blessed. Regardless of their faith in Jesus.

I guess i need to suck it up, but this feeling of my heart being torn is horrible. Why do I need to keep caring? What's the point when things go different? Did I really not do enough or get lucky ? It's almost cruel, God delights in this? I have no idea. I know that I gave more, but if this is all I get then I need to be happy or work harder.

The story makes sense to me now. The first son was upset and maybe felt like what he was doing was pointless, or not noticed. He was focused on himself too much and couldn't be happy for others, who needed help or coming back to the right path. It's easy to say and once was easy to do, but after a while, it just makes God out to be someone who doesn't care about the small details, or he isn't that able to make things work out, or he wants more trials and problems in life to make me a better person. I do know one thing though: if my kids believed I was a loving father, I would never forget the one who gave and did more either. I would at least let him know he's loved and not forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:06 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmagnum View Post

But recently in my life, things haven't been going as good. I feel that my giving, all my actions, being kind, nice, bending over backwards was all for nothing. Instead I see others, who i have grown up with in my life be blessed more and more. Nothing was returned for me, but others get greatly, even things that I have desired. And when God is silent it hurts, it's a stabbing in my heart. I Can only assume it's either hard work and they earned it, or and God is involved and blessed them. And they are believers and non believers who are blessed. Regardless of their faith in Jesus.
Do you give and do nice things in order to get some kind of reward? Are you expecting something in return? You shouldn't. You being able to help someone should be enough of a reward, and it seems you used to feel this way, and that is when you were happy and content. Maybe going back to thinking that way will help. And don't feel bad, everyone experiences jealousy at one point or another, just don't dwell on it.

Last edited by ashleynj; 10-29-2014 at 10:17 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 10:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
I've never understood why the other brother was envious or disappointed with his father when he celebrated about his lost son who came back home, but now I do.

Earlier in my life, I never was jealous of others or their blessings. I was very thankful and very happy for them. Why be jealous? Be happy they got that blessing. I was happy giving and I was content.

I guess i need to suck it up, but this feeling of my heart being torn is horrible. Why do I need to keep caring? What's the point when things go different? Did I really not do enough or get lucky ? It's almost cruel, God delights in this? I have no idea. I know that I gave more, but if this is all I get then I need to be happy or work harder.

The story makes sense to me now. The first son was upset and maybe felt like what he was doing was pointless, or not noticed. He was focused on himself too much and couldn't be happy for others, who needed help or coming back to the right path. It's easy to say and once was easy to do, but after a while, it just makes God out to be someone who doesn't care about the small details, or he isn't that able to make things work out, or he wants more trials and problems in life to make me a better person. I do know one thing though: if my kids believed I was a loving father, I would never forget the one who gave and did more either. I would at least let him know he's loved and not forgotten.
I think you just have to get over the illusion of control. You don't know everything nor can you control every factor; being good to expect reward is not really being good anyway, it's being self-interested. Fathers can be procrastinators, since they are fallible. The problem wasn't not being happy for others, it was broken expectations. Indeed, fathers who throw parties to bad acting sons that ended their bad actions and ignore the good acting sons encourage bad actions, but a son that is good and doesn't just act good will stay submissive and good, so they can be ignored. It might not be a fair moral, but life isn't fair. Lady Fortuna favors the well-prepared.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 PM

124 posts, read 118,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Do you give and do nice things in order to get some kind of reward? Are you expecting something in return? You shouldn't. You being able to help someone should be enough of a reward, and it seems you used to feel this way, and that is when you were happy and content. Maybe going back to thinking that way will help. And don't feel bad, everyone experiences jealousy at one point or another, just don't dwell on it.
I would tell you I don't do things just to get things in return. Maybe we do it without knowing or deliberately thinking it but just seeing the person happy from my actions what good enough and great. I am full of hate and depression, so I guess this is the response after a while of being beat down. Trial or just life? Who knows

Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Quote:
I would tell you I don't do things just to get things in return. Maybe we do it without knowing or deliberately thinking it but just seeing the person happy from my actions what good enough and great. I am full of hate and depression, so I guess this is the response after a while of being beat down. Trial or just life? Who knows
I would suggest volunteering somewhere. Thanksgiving is coming up, you can volunteer at a soup kitchen/food bank or maybe even your local church has something. Maybe volunteer in a hospital, retirement home, or homeless shelter.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

So you only do the things that you do for acknowledge and rewards?
God is not the one doing anything wrong and you are not doing anything wrong exactly but you are not doing things for the right reasons.

Giving of self without expectation of anything in return is doing the right thing for the right reason.

It appears you have forgotten God, God has not forgotten you.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
You have come along way. Endurance takes exercise to maintain. I know how you feel. I once wondered the same things about blessings. But remember those that that exalt themselves will be abased. And those that are abased will be exalted. What you speak of as blessings are worldly treasures. Your treasure is in heaven.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:54 AM

23,149 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:

The bible is funny that way isn't it, makes you realize things in your life.

That story is the obvious history of the prodigal nation of the Northern kingdom, and the Southern kingdom that stayed home.

Parables have 3 understandings, there is a literal physical lesson found and most preachers preach the obvious, they preach about a man who has backslidden, but that is only the physical that EVERYONE understands.

The truth of it, is that it shows the known two sons of God,'' Judah and Israel.''

And great things can be learned by also teaching that lesson.

The life of the parable is something else, the third meaning.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
I find the saddest thing about the whole parable to be the prodigals brother being with the Father whole time, did not know that all that is his Father's is his too.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 AM

23,149 posts, read 10,449,759 times
I am a slave, and I am a free man, how am I two different, separate beings?

I am a slave in this body of death, and I try and make myself a servant to Christ, but I am also a separate free man in Christ, a whole new creature.

Jesus took the two and made one.

I am a female, and I am a male.

I am a female because all flesh are female, it is a body that holds an inner hidden man of spirit, so I am a Female and a male.

I am a gentile because I have come in the flesh as a first born son, but within me, there is a Jew.

Jesus didn't do away with slaves and free men, he made all slaves, and all free.

Jesus didn't do away with male and female, he took two, and made two one.

Jesus didn't do away with Jew and gentile, he took the two and made them one under a covenant for Judah and Israel.

The parable of the prodigal son is about Judah and Israel, and these two are both present within my own being.

I am the son who stayed home, but I am also the prodigal, and that is the true meaning of the Prodigal parable.

If I am the son who stayed home, and I am also the prodigal, then why will I be angry when the prodigal{me} returns?

I am two separate beings, that's why.

We are not alone.

There is a fallen spirit within us, but he was not always fallen. He was planted there to guide my whole body, but when I fell, he fell, when he fell, I fell.

It's a hard lesson to understand, but that is the truth of the parable.

'' Behold, I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven, and with him came a third of heaven.''

The shattered glass, the shattered glass, my ear, my ear, where is my gold?

What happens if somebody is kicked out of heaven down to Earth?

The crystal sea shatters under their feet when they fall, falling from heaven with shattered glass?

Sound familiar?

The great wonder of the Temple of God that all the nations wondered about was Boaz, and Jachim.

Boaz and Jachim are the two towers standing before the throne and they look like towers made of mirrors because that's what they are.

When one has walked through the two towers, he sees his reflection in the mirrors, and what he sees is the son of perdition, the anti Christ. His left eye becomes his right eye, and his right arm becomes his left arm.

They were the servants of the Lord, and as servants, they had a golden earring in their ears, and this gold is the word and voice of the master, but if the master is going to kick his servants out of his house, he then has to rip the gold earrings from their ears, and the gold is tossed to the earth, in the dust, and it cries out.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-30-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity