Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:40 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So....you believe she is the mother of his divine nature?
What I believe is a moot point. I am a Catholic because that is my cultural heritage. In this tradition Mary is the Mother of Jesus. Whether that is true or not is a moot point. I will remain a Catholic because that is part of whom I am.

Religion is religion in in religion anything goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 12:47 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
What I believe is a moot point. I am a Catholic because that is my cultural heritage. In this tradition Mary is the Mother of Jesus. Whether that is true or not is a moot point. I will remain a Catholic because that is part of whom I am.

I don't dispute she is Jesus' mother. That was never a question.

But you stated that she is the mother of God. I would like to hear your answer to the question of her being the mother to his divine nature. Do you believe she is? Or are you afraid to answer?

Old 11-01-2014, 04:23 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,098 times
Quote:

But you stated that she is the mother of God. I would like to hear your answer to the question of her being the mother to his divine nature. Do you believe she is? Or are you afraid to answer?
That specific language is used to distinguish the Catholic belief from Nestorianism, in which the two natures of Jesus are distinct. Nestorianism claimed that Mary was the mother of a human child into which a divine nature was later installed. It was the human nature that suffered and died on the cross, but the divine one had already left. In Nestorianism Mary was only the mother of the human Jesus, not the divine one.

The Catholic view is that Jesus was/is one single person possessing two complete natures right from conception. Mary supplied the human nature (*) and God supplied the divine nature, which was the Second Person of the Trinity. These two natures were/are inseparable. Jesus is totally human and totally divine.

To say that Mary was the mother of Jesus, while entirely true, can cause confusion about who the living Jesus was. He was and is a human being who was and is also God the Son. To say that Mary is the Mother of God is to recognize the distinction from Nestorianism. (And a bunch of other 'heresies' as well)

(*) with a little chromosome manipulation by the Holy Spirit

Old 11-01-2014, 04:49 PM

348 posts, read 294,548 times
RC believes the BVM is the Mother of God, theres no language or fancy thinking about one of the understood Joyful Mysteries ( Annunciation , as per words in the prayer, in keeping with scripture including canticles). Meditated on for one of the decades of the Rosary within the Joyful Mystery's, which are allocated to certain days of the week and I think feast days. The BVM in the RC belief system is understood to be of an Immaculate Conception and the full Mother of God, the whole of christianity a mystery itself and called by some saints the miracle of miracles. Also remarked by some saints, god could of made a greater world, a greater heaven but could not exalt a creature more then by making her His Mother.

Last edited by Sophronius; 11-01-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-01-2014, 04:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
Yes, there have a number of Mary legends throughout history.

A very popular one is the Lady of Guadalupe story with the feast day of 12 Dec. But the story is flawed. See the Guadalupe-fact or fiction thread on this list.
Whether it's "flawed" or not, ( and I don't personally think it is but to each his own), it serves the purpose of bringing attention to Jesus and salvation, and that is all that really matters.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:

Come on Vizio, you're a better man that that.

Jesus is God.

Mary was the vessel through which God entered the world in human form - his mother.

Ergo we call her "the Mother of God", but no one really believes His divine nature came from his human mother.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

I will consider rejoining the Catholic Church, the religion of my youth, because Pope Francis declared that everybody goes to heaven, even atheists. And yes, even deists.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:20 PM

802 posts, read 453,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Whether it's "flawed" or not, ( and I don't personally think it is but to each his own), it serves the purpose of bringing attention to Jesus and salvation, and that is all that really matters.
RESPONSE:

The Guadalupe story made it easier for the Spanish conquerors to control the the indigenous Mexican natives. Do you personally think that it is acceptable to use religion or religious hoax to control people?

Historiography of the Apparition of Guadalupe, Chapter 12, Daniel J. Castellano (2013) (on the web)

"The earliest attestation of the crown's absence is in 1887, when José de Jesús Cuevas (in La santísima Virgen de Guadalupe, Mexico: Imp. del Círculo Católico, 1887, ch. xliv, p. 152) noted that the crown disappeared at some point, even though many people alive in his day had seen it previously. He considers the disappearance to be miraculous. Esteban Anticoli, in his 1897 history, attests that the crown was still visible in 1838. [Esteban Anticoli. Historia de la aparición de la Santísima Virgen María de Guadalupe en México desde el año MDCCCI al de MDCCCXCV. (Mexico: La Europea, 1897)]

Old 11-01-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:

It seems you do not believe in the Trinity.

I suggest you study the diagram.

Are you sure you were once a Catholic?

The Trinity is quite Catholic and not easy to find in the Bible. If you are now a Sola Scriptura person I get your position and you do not have to accept the Catholic view.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ergo we call her "the Mother of God", but no one really believes His divine nature came from his human mother.
The Catholic Church haters love to play ignorance, but they know what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity