Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:31 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

Historians agree Paul was in Jerusalem during Jesus' ministry. That means Paul would have been in Jerusalem when Jesus was crucified.

Quote:
Born between 5 BC and 5 AD [the exact same timeframe of Jesus' birth according to Matthew & Luke] While still fairly young, Paul was sent to Jerusalem to receive his education at the school of Gamaliel, [Acts 22:3] one of the most noted rabbis in history. Nothing more is known of his background until he takes an active part in the martyrdom of Stephen. Wikipedia
So Paul is in Jerusalem at the same time Jesus is creating this ruckus all over Judea yet the gospels never mention that Paul ever heard of Jesus until the stoning of Stephen. Surely Paul, as a Pharisee in Jerusalem, would have heard of this radical rabbi, Jesus of Nazareth travelling around the countryside performing all these miracles; surely he would have known that that the most notorious rabbi in Israel/Judea, Jesus of Nazareth, was being crucified and would have gone to Golgatha to witnessed Christ's crucifixion. At the very least, he would have witnessed all the supernatural events that occurred during Jesus' death i.e. the great earthquake, the world going dark, the saints rising from their tombs and going into the city, most assuredly he would have known that the veil in the temple where he would have been worshipping had being torn in two. Yet Paul never mentions any of this in his epistles, nor do the gospels record any of this.

Anyone find this a glaring inconsistency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 02:49 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times
Paul probably never heard of Jesus because the Messiahs name was Yahushah when he walked the earth. Im pretty sure if someone yelled Jesus back then, the Messiah would have looked around and said who the heck are you calling lol

Old 10-31-2014, 02:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
... he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"

Old 10-31-2014, 03:08 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Paul probably never heard of Jesus because the Messiahs name was Yahushah when he walked the earth. Im pretty sure if someone yelled Jesus back then, the Messiah would have looked around and said who the heck are you calling lol
Well, the entire city knew that Yahushah was being crucified. Paul was either on Golgatha with hordes watching Jesus suffering on the cross or he was in Jerusalem witnessing all the frightening supernatural events I described in my OP when Jesus died. As a conservative hot-head Pharisee who was against any new religions that challenged the Old Testament Law as Jesus did he might have been one of the Pharisees Jesus was constantly railing against. There has to be some record somewhere that Paul knew of Jesus prior to his Damascus Road conversion. I'm trying to locate any such records.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, the entire city knew that Yahushah was being crucified. Paul was either on Golgatha with hordes watching Jesus suffering on the cross or he was in Jerusalem witnessing all the frightening supernatural events I described in my OP when Jesus died. As a conservative hot-head Pharisee who was against any new religions that challenged the Old Testament Law as Jesus did he might have been one of the Pharisees Jesus was constantly railing against. There has to be some record somewhere that Paul knew of Jesus prior to his Damascus Road conversion. I'm trying to locate any such records.
Question is when was Saul certified a Rabbi?...Isn't a Rabbi required to be married?...How old do you have to be?...

Old 11-01-2014, 07:18 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Question is when was Saul certified a Rabbi?...Isn't a Rabbi required to be married?...How old do you have to be?...
Paul might have been gay and hence did not get married. That he was gay can be inferred from the writings of Paul. Bishop Shelby Spong has discussed this many times.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:28 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,406 times
I have also heard the gay rumor about Paul.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:58 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Historians agree Paul was in Jerusalem during Jesus' ministry. That means Paul would have been in Jerusalem when Jesus was crucified.

So Paul is in Jerusalem at the same time Jesus is creating this ruckus all over Judea yet the gospels never mention that Paul ever heard of Jesus until the stoning of Stephen. Surely Paul, as a Pharisee in Jerusalem, would have heard of this radical rabbi, Jesus of Nazareth travelling around the countryside performing all these miracles; surely he would have known that that the most notorious rabbi in Israel/Judea, Jesus of Nazareth, was being crucified and would have gone to Golgatha to witnessed Christ's crucifixion. At the very least, he would have witnessed all the supernatural events that occurred during Jesus' death i.e. the great earthquake, the world going dark, the saints rising from their tombs and going into the city, most assuredly he would have known that the veil in the temple where he would have been worshipping had being torn in two. Yet Paul never mentions any of this in his epistles, nor do the gospels record any of this.

Quit questioning the bible.

Paul is certainly been thought of as an epileptic, and subject to seizures. That of course would explain his Road to Damascus epiphany visions. Many epileptics have bright light visions.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
I'd say it may hinge on what is meant by "young man" in describing Paul at the stoning of Stephen, possibly too young to participate, but big enough to guard the outer garments laid aside for the more active participation?

Depending on when he was sent to Gamaliel for instruction, whatever stir there actually would have been by the ministry and execution of Jesus might have blown over, and there is no indication that Gamaliel himself converted, and he had a lot more informed indication of what was going on.

Yes, the glaring inconsistency seems to me to be more about the claimed immediate impact of the ministry of Jesus. Were there really 5,000 people who had gathered to listen to Him?

Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 AM

23,137 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:

Thrill, Stephen was stoned for preaching Jesus as Messiah, and that this religion was teaching people not to keep the laws of Moses.

Paul had spent his time going after Christians, it just doesn't make common sense to quote a story about a killing of a disciple and then insinuate Jesus was never heard of.

Do you see my point?

Maybe I am missing your point, I just don't see a debate at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity