Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 AM

14,643 posts, read 16,986,551 times

Advertisements

God is love.

We have all been His enemies and have done things worthy of death.

God loves His enemies. Jesus teaches us to love our enemies.

God loves them enough to correct them.

Jesus died for all people, including Stalin and Hitler...

God is able.

He is able to change them.

And as what was shared earlier, the harder the case, the greater the victory.

But it really isn't hard for God anyway. It may just look hard or impossible to us.

We already know that they will one day worship Him and willingly confess Him. They will even swear allegiance to Him. Praise God. If Jesus died for all people and if God will have all to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, who are we to say that we won't accept this or don't like this. It is not about whether or not we like it. It is about Him and the work that He is doing in His own creation. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-16-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,890,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Bob when does this occur? would it not be in an age to come?

Therefore as this is speaking of that which is future, IE the age to come, I see it saying that there is an age to come where the Lord will not cast off but have mercy, drawing all unto himself.
He is sitting under the wrath of God at that moment. He was talking about "right now" for himself. He is saying "I am under the wrath of God right now, but I know that this casting off will not be olam, it will have an eventual end because God is merciful".

It's similar to english. "Indefinitely" does not mean "Forever" yet the phrase "God will not cast off indefinitely" does mean "God will not cast off forever". So the word "indefinitely" in certain context can take on a greater meaning.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Someone mentioned Stalin and Hitler in another post but it was edited. That is why I mentioned them in case anyone wonders God bless.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
It means that God cast off forever, who is a reshaim (wicked), a condemned one and the one that repents, God will have compassion and will pardon the sinner and not cast him away forever. Here you come into conflict with the word "olam", when you can use it for your purposes, it suddenly means forever. You can see, that we cannot translate it always as an age, it makes really no sense, the context shows us when it means forever.
I don't claim that olam means "age" or always means "age". I simply observe that there are examples in scripture where olam punishments/ consequences for sin do not last forever. So any claim that they last forever due to the adjective olam has no weight for me. And no, the immediate context does not always show us.

I am not using it for my purposes nor am I in conflict with the word olam. I simply don't see what else it could mean in that context of Lam 3.

Last edited by Thy Kingdom Come; 11-16-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
This is the context:

Lam 3:26-38 It is good that one should wait in stillness for the salvation of Yahweh; (27) It is good for a
master that he should bear the yoke in his youth; (28) Let him sit alone and be still when He lifts it up on
him; (29) Let him put his mouth to the soil; perhaps there will be expectation; (30) Let him give his
cheek to his smiter; let him be surfeited with reproach. (31) For Yahweh is not casting off for the eon;
(32) Indeed though He afflicts, yet He has compassion according to the abundance of His
benignities;
(33) For He does not humiliate from His heart or so afflict the sons of humanity. (34) To
crush beneath His feet all the prisoners of the earth, (35) To turn aside right judgment for a master in
front of the face of the Supreme, (36) To overturn a human in his cause, does not Yahweh see? (37)
Who is this who speaks and it comes about if Yahweh does not determine it? (38) Do not both the
evil and the good come forth from the mouth of the Supreme?

God is not casting off for the eon. What is so hard about this? God has spoken and it will come to be because God has determined it that they not be cast off for the eon. Salvation will come to them before the eon ends. He has determined it.

What if it said: God will not cast off for the duration of ten years. Would you not think that He will save them prior to the ten years ending?
There is no "THE eon" in view. Which eon?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
The sinners that turn to the Lord and repent, God has mercy and will not cast away for ever. But what you and others say, that the ungodly sinner, who does not repent, will live...
I don't say that or believe that nor do any of us. We believe that all will repent and turn to the Lord will all their heart.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Right. I believe that God will bring everyone to repentance, just as He brought us to repentance. God bless.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Indefinitely, to me meaning, that I may not see the end in sight. That is not same as "forever" to me, Thy Kingdom Come. Say for example, I may have a problem and I may say that I can't see how this problem is going to be solved. That doesn't mean that I don't know that it will be solved eventually. Just how I understand it.. but I can see what you are saying too. God bless.
But I am not asking what is the difference between the isolated words "indefinitely" and "forever". I realize they are different.

I am asking. What is the difference between saying:

"God will not cast of indefinitely"
"God will not cast of forever"

I am asking for the difference between two phrases, not two words.

There is no difference between those two phrases. They both mean that at some point the casting off will cease.

If we take the first phrase literally according to your definition of "indefinitely" it would be "God will not cast off for [an unspecified period of time]". But that is actually false. The writer was in fact being cast off for an unspecified period of time.

So from this exercise I learn that the word "indefinitely" can take on meaning beyond its basic meaning due to context. And if "indefinitely" can do that then so can olam.

Last edited by Thy Kingdom Come; 11-16-2014 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Hi, Olam referring to time that is hidden, meaning that we cannot see when it begins or ends.

God will not cast off to a point when I cannot see that there is no end. The writer knew that there will be an end to the rejection because He knows that God is compassionate and merciful.

I do not believe that casting off forever is a good translation because olam refers to a time that has a beginning and an end and not to eternity.

I also agree with Eusebius and Pneuma in their statements, that God will not cast off for an eon or age. God bless.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, Olam referring to time that is hidden, meaning that we cannot see when it begins or ends.

God will not cast off to a point when I cannot see that there is no end. The writer knew that there will be an end to the rejection because He knows that God is compassionate and merciful.

I do not believe that casting off forever is a good translation because olam refers to a time that has a beginning and an end and not to eternity.

I also agree with Eusebius and Pneuma in their statements, that God will not cast off for an eon or age. God bless.
Ok I see your point. But I think it's a stretch. The writer did not see when it would end. He just knew it would end at some time. Also there are scriptures which say God will cast off olam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity