Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:26 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times

Advertisements

Question:

Long ago, I had an older brother. A serious medical complication arose, and he died as an infant. Then, a few years later, I was born.

Here's the situation: my deceased older brother and I share EXACTLY the same name, middle name, the "JR" suffix, the whole nine yards...

I suppose it would be somewhat unnerving to see a headstone at the cemetary with my name on it, but with 60-some years time gone by, the exact location of my brother's grave has been lost...nobody knows where it is anymore...(no records at the city hall...nothing...territory of Alaska circa 1940's) Family has tried to relocate it with no luck...

So....what name will I/we go by in heaven....the "afterlife"....???

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:32 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,272 times
"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it." (Revelation 2:17)

Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Don't worry, our names won't matter in Heaven, God knows each of us individually. Maybe you can go by BudinAk

Old 10-06-2008, 03:28 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Question:

Long ago, I had an older brother. A serious medical complication arose, and he died as an infant. Then, a few years later, I was born.

Here's the situation: my deceased older brother and I share EXACTLY the same name, middle name, the "JR" suffix, the whole nine yards...

I suppose it would be somewhat unnerving to see a headstone at the cemetary with my name on it, but with 60-some years time gone by, the exact location of my brother's grave has been lost...nobody knows where it is anymore...(no records at the city hall...nothing...territory of Alaska circa 1940's) Family has tried to relocate it with no luck...

So....what name will I/we go by in heaven....the "afterlife"....???

Bud
I will assume, the same name you had in life. When Jesus came back in His glory, They still called Him and He answered by the name, Jesus.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Don't worry, our names won't matter in Heaven, God knows each of us individually. Maybe you can go by BudinAk

My wife says she has it all figured out: she just calls me "Bonehead"....
(affectionately, of course)

Bud

Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I will assume, the same name you had in life. When Jesus came back in His glory, They still called Him and He answered by the name, Jesus.

But....my brother has exactly the same name....first, middle, last, and suffix....

Old 10-06-2008, 03:36 PM

Hey...
Does this mean I can send the IRS my brother's death certificate, then me not have to pay any more taxes??? I mean, I'm deceased, and I have the paperwork to prove it! Hmmm...LOL....

Bud

Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
But....my brother has exactly the same name....first, middle, last, and suffix....
Google your name....all 4 parts. You'll probably find a dozen of yourself out there.
GOD knows who we are, and that's all that matters.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
LOL, Bud, but something tells me Jesus won't be saying "welcome to your eternal home, Bonehead."

This is something I havn't considered before, but I like the reference to Revelation above where we get a new name. I never noticed the white stone in that scripture before, though. A diamond for the Lord's bride?

Old 10-08-2008, 07:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,087 times
I believe that God may very well call you Bonehead if he believes it is a name that will bring you joy love and laughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity