Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:31 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You really don't get it. The key word is UNINVITED . . . especially when it comes to what you believe God wants. We are each responsible for VOLUNTARILY complying. HUMAN enforcement plays no role! God is not impotent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Are you suggesting that every time your parents taught you right from wrong, as a child, that you invited that correction?
Are you suggesting that you are everyone's PARENT??? That takes the usual arrogance and "busybodiness" of Fundies to new heights. Work on your own prideful arrogance and not other people's failings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
This discussion isn't about how the person receiving correction takes it. That is beside the point. The question is whether or not a person should give their unsolicited opinion about another person's behavior.

If someone asks for your opinion about their behavior then that may be the time to give it.
That has been proven through scripture that in love someone can guide another with the wisdom of God's word.

So are you stating that if someone tells you something without your permission then you ignore it. If you are driving park your car, and someone tells you that you left your lights on, then you ignore them because you didn't ask them for their help?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Oh, sorry, missed this the first time somehow.

You're moving the goal posts. There is obviously a difference between parent/child relationship and adult/adult relationships.
No I'm not. This can apply to any relationship. If you are suggesting that we should not give unsolicited advice then you are suggesting that parents cannot correct their children, or a boss cannot reprimand their employees or even a moderator cannot tell a poster when they are doing something wrong on here. You are now making this notion of solicited advice conditional, but you said earlier that it's wrong to give unsolicited advice. That means mensaguy and June 7th cannot give you infractions because then they would be giving you unsolicited advice on how to behave yourself on here.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
That has been proven through scripture that in love someone can guide another with the wisdom of God's word.

So are you stating that if someone tells you something without your permission then you ignore it. If you are driving park your car, and someone tells you that you left your lights on, then you ignore them because you didn't ask them for their help?

Again, we are not talking about how I, or anyone else, receives unsolicited advice so there's no need to keep taking the discussion there as an attempt to justify your desire to give unsolicited advice.

And, you don't really see the difference between someone being helpful (letting me know I left my lights on) and someone giving their opinion/judgment that another person's behavior is sinful?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
No I'm not. This can apply to any relationship. If you are suggesting that we should give unsolicited advice then you are suggesting that parents cannot correct their children, or a boss cannot reprimand their employees or even a moderator cannot tell a poster when they are doing something wrong on here. You are now making this notion of solicited advice conditional, but you said earlier that it's wrong to give unsolicited advice.
Yes and only a fool won't listen to advice, even if not asked for. Though they can always reject it.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Again, we are not talking about how I, or anyone else, receives unsolicited advice so there's no need to keep taking the discussion there as an attempt to justify your desire to give unsolicited advice.

And, you don't really see the difference between someone being helpful (letting me know I left my lights on) and someone giving their opinion/judgment that another person's behavior is sinful?
Please tell me what the difference between the two is. Is helping someone get out of sin not helpful? It would be better for them to live in sin so they can burn in hell? That's more helpful?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You really don't get it. The key word is UNINVITED . . . especially when it comes to what you believe God wants. We are each responsible for VOLUNTARILY complying. HUMAN enforcement plays no role! God is not impotent.
There is a vast difference between advice and enforcement. Your changing the issue.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:40 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
No I'm not. This can apply to any relationship. If you are suggesting that we should not give unsolicited advice then you are suggesting that parents cannot correct their children, or a boss cannot reprimand their employees or even a moderator cannot tell a poster when they are doing something wrong on here. You are now making this notion of solicited advice conditional, but you said earlier that it's wrong to give unsolicited advice. That means mensaguy and June 7th cannot give you infractions because then they would be giving you unsolicited advice on how to behave yourself on here.

It's very odd that you don't see the difference between a parent/child or an employer/employee relationship and an adult/adult relationship.

As for the moderators here, we agreed to be moderated when we signed on to participate here, therefore it is not unsolicited advice.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Plus the thread is about "fellow Christians" and by definition Christians are family and by joining the family they indicate they are open to advice, etc from family members without asking. Non family, self absorbed individuals, don't want such.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that you are everyone's PARENT??? That takes the usual arrogance and "busybodiness" of Fundies to new heights. Work on your own prideful arrogance and not other people's failings.
Quote:
THAT is the problem . . . you are pretending to speak for GOD!!! You are not giving helpful advice about obvious things . . . you are taking on the SELF-APPOINTED mantle of God's agent. How dare you???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity