Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 AM

16 posts, read 17,791 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I recently moved to Ellensburg WA. Neither one of us are extreamly religious but we have been talking about joining a church now that we have found where we are going to live.
Her family is Catholic, my family is not religious at all.
I believe in god and have been to church before, I used to go to a Christian summer camp every year growing up. I believe I am a Christian, just not one that goes to church regularly.

Now that we are settling in our new home we would like to start going to church and developing our faith a little more. The problem we are having though is, what church? What denomination? My wife was raised Catholic but she hasn't been since college. I personally think the Catholic religion is too strict for my tastes and to some extent my wife agrees. I would like to find a Christian church I think. Someplace with generally good people that aren't too judgmental (not that my wife and I have any reasons for judging really, just the character we are looking for) believe in God but don't shove religion down your throat. We are pretty low key and are not interested in the "rock band" sermons that I have heard about. I think everyone should connect with God however they choose and feel comfortable with. I have always said that I believe in God, just not organized religion.

Please don't take this post as a bash on anyone, their religion or the church they go to. I am very open minded about how people handle their lives and how they choose to connect with God. I have just seen some hypocrisies with the few churches I have been to and I don't think that people should be looked down on just because their religious or personal views don't follow the doctrine to a tee.

I'm sure this is a hard question to answer as I have been trying to do some research about it and only become more unsure. I also worry that my wording on here would put off the very people I'm looking to answers for. I know that my situation is a bit confusing and even more so, my lack of ability to get my feelings of the matter on paper. I just do not know enough about religion itself to make an informed decision or know where to start.

Thank you for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 06:50 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
From the view of Lord Jesus it is best to find church with evidence of Holy Spirit through the attendants , and a church which preaches the gospel of Christ , then you will know that the truth is there as God has these people ..... See do you want to go to a church with God or No God , as some protestant Church have God and some do not , just as some Catholic Churches have God and some do not , as it depends of the leader of the church who obey God and leaders who do not obey God and His determination ........ Need proof , Just look at the churches who close there doors who had leaders who did not obey God, as God will keep the doors open to those who obey

Old 11-09-2014, 07:12 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
[quote=AKCarpenter;37203639]
Quote:
I am a Christian, just not one that goes to church regularly.
Nothing wrong with that. You and your wife are the same.

Quote:
I personally think the Catholic religion is too strict for my tastes and to some extent my wife agrees.
Yes and now. It would take you year to become a Catholic. But,once you are a Catholic no one will bother of judge you if you if you do not go to church or confession. You will find the most Catholics are like your wife: non-judgmental, easy going, and not obsessed about religion. I am certain your wife a catholic was not judgmental of you.

Quote:
Someplace with generally good people that aren't too judgmental (not that my wife and I have any reasons for judging really, just the character we are looking for) believe in God but don't shove religion down your throat.
Stay away from small independent bible churches. They will try to assimilate you like the Borg.

Quote:
We are pretty low key and are not interested in the "rock band" sermons that I have heard about.
Stay away from non denominational bible churches. If you want tradition stick with catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, etc.

Quote:
I have always said that I believe in God, just not organized religion.
Ha, ha, the mantra of folks that don't go to church. I cannot blame you. But, ultimately a bit of organization and tradition may be a vehicle to achieve your goals.

Quote:
I have just seen some hypocrisies with the few churches I have been to and I don't think that people should be looked down on just because their religious or personal views don't follow the doctrine to a tee.
Exactly, it would be very easy to be a cafeteria Catholic, Anglican, or Lutheran. However, you could never be a cafeteria Sola Scriptura person.

There is little different between you and your wife even if you label her as Catholic.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
From the view of Lord Jesus it is best to find church with evidence of Holy Spirit through the attendants , and a church which preaches the gospel of Christ , then you will know that the truth is there as God has these people ..... See do you want to go to a church with God or No God , as some protestant Church have God and some do not , just as some Catholic Churches have God and some do not , as it depends of the leader of the church who obey God and leaders who do not obey God and His determination ........ Need proof , Just look at the churches who close there doors who had leaders who did not obey God, as God will keep the doors open to those who obey
The OP is not looking for a judgmental church.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the replies, this is exactly the kind of information and advice I am looking for.

So if we were to join a Catholic Church, how would that look for me and my kids? I have never been baptized but my 3 young boys have. (we did this for my wife and her grandmother, I felt it was a bit hypocritical with me not being a catholic) What kind of requirements are there for my kids as they grow in the church? I know my wife had to go through some type of adolescent something or other being part of the church. I don't think that it's right to force anything like that on my kids, they should choose their own path with God in my opinion and not be looked down on if they don't go through the "proper steps" so to speak.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCarpenter View Post
Thanks for the replies, this is exactly the kind of information and advice I am looking for.

So if we were to join a Catholic Church, how would that look for me and my kids? I have never been baptized but my 3 young boys have. (we did this for my wife and her grandmother, I felt it was a bit hypocritical with me not being a catholic) What kind of requirements are there for my kids as they grow in the church? I know my wife had to go through some type of adolescent something or other being part of the church. I don't think that it's right to force anything like that on my kids, they should choose their own path with God in my opinion and not be looked down on if they don't go through the "proper steps" so to speak.
Catholics are not recruiters. They are not like the Borg, that was back in the middle ages.

To be a Catholic you need papers and documents that state you are a Catholic. This may look strict but it is mostly traditional. Just walk into any Catholic Church and ask to talk to the priest. Just tell him you are married to a Catholic and want to become Catholic. The priest will likely say something like "welcome home".

You will then attend training on how to be a Catholic. You will meet with priests and deacons regularly. There is almost always a group of folks that want to do what you are doing. The training is mostly about history, the meaning of the mass, traditions, etc. No one will talk down to you anything unsavory and all questions will be answered. It is basically Christian education!

Then on the easter Vigil you will get baptized, do 1st communion, confirmed, and become a Catholic. You will find that most Catholics are like your wife---regular people. And you can hang out with them in the pub and have a few brews.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:18 PM

505 posts, read 575,002 times
http://ellensburg4square.com/image/o...eo901pg1p3.jpg
Church Finder
----------------------------------------------------------
First Assembly of God Ellensburg, Washington

Keith E Hixson
Denomination Category: Spirit-Filled

Denomination / Affiliation: Assemblies of God
Phone Number
(509) 925-3310
Located in: Ellensburg
Address 701 E Capitol Ave
Ellensburg Washington 98926.
United States
First Assembly of God is a Spirit-Filled Church in Ellensburg, Washington located in zip code 98926.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Church Of God Ellensburg, Washington

Denomination Category: Spirit-Filled

Denomination / Affiliation: Church of God
Phone Number
(509) 962-2205
Located in: Ellensburg
Address 401 S Ruby St
Ellensburg Washington 98926.
United States
First Church Of God is a Spirit-Filled Church in Ellensburg, Washington located in zip code 98926.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCarpenter View Post

I was raised in a Catholic family and was baptized, had communion and confirmation. I never received any type of official Catholic member papers though, never even heard of that.

I do not attend church anymore, but when I did I dated a couple of guys (not at the same time) and they were not Catholic but attended Mass with me. They were never asked to show any proof they were Catholic in order to attend. Maybe if you want to make it "official" then you might want to talk to a priest and get the communion and confirmation stuff done, but you can attend Mass and go to confession and receive communion and no one is going to stop you.

Even after I stopped going to Church when someone asked me to be their kid's godmother I was able to do that. The godfather also was not a regular church goer and had no issues. Some churches will ask if you are a member of the church if you want to be a godparent but this one did not.

I have heard people say they had a horrible experience being raised in a Catholic family, but I did not. My family was really open minded and cool. As long as I went to church on Sundays it was all good. I was never forced to read the Bible, told I was going to hell or that God was going to punish me or any of that weird stuff that other people seem to believe. We also often had priests over on Sundays for dinner and they were also very cool and laid back.

I would definitely look into the Catholic church thing if I were you. Like I said I no longer attend, and my family has never said anything negative about that. We even have a relative who is a priest who has said that a person does not need to attend Church if they don't want to, and they can still be a good person and have a good relationship with God.

ETA: If you wanted to raise your kids Catholic then they would receive Communion which is done in 2nd grade, and confirmation which is done when you are around 15/16. If they do not attend Catholic school then they would attend CCD classes until they did the confirmation thing. My CCD classes were on Sundays, and I think lasted about an hour.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I was raised in a Catholic family and was baptized, had communion and confirmation. I never received any type of official Catholic member papers though, never even heard of that.

I do not attend church anymore, but when I did I dated a couple of guys (not at the same time) and they were not Catholic but attended Mass with me. They were never asked to show any proof they were Catholic in order to attend. Maybe if you want to make it "official" then you might want to talk to a priest and get the communion and confirmation stuff done, but you can attend Mass and go to confession and receive communion and no one is going to stop you.

Even after I stopped going to Church when someone asked me to be their kid's godmother I was able to do that. The godfather also was not a regular church goer and had no issues. Some churches will ask if you are a member of the church if you want to be a godparent but this one did not.

I have heard people say they had a horrible experience being raised in a Catholic family, but I did not. My family was really open minded and cool. As long as I went to church on Sundays it was all good. I was never forced to read the Bible, told I was going to hell or that God was going to punish me or any of that weird stuff that other people seem to believe. We also often had priests over on Sundays for dinner and they were also very cool and laid back.

I would definitely look into the Catholic church thing if I were you. Like I said I no longer attend, and my family has never said anything negative about that. We even have a relative who is a priest who has said that a person does not need to attend Church if they don't want to, and they can still be a good person and have a good relationship with God.

ETA: If you wanted to raise your kids Catholic then they would receive Communion which is done in 2nd grade, and confirmation which is done when you are around 15/16. If they do not attend Catholic school then they would attend CCD classes until they did the confirmation thing. My CCD classes were on Sundays, and I think lasted about an hour.
Very good post.

As for papers: It may be mostly tradition, but many Catholics have copies of certificates regarding baptism, 1st communion, etc. In rare instances the priests could ask for paper work.

I think the Catholic Church will be the best option for the poster because his wife is already Catholic and he is looking for a laid back non-judgmental church.

Sure, OP could just go to mass and sy he is Catholic, but as an adult that has no background in Catholicism he would not understand what is going on.

Quote:
The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism who are above the age of infant baptism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic beliefs and practices.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Thank you everyone, this has really helped. Sounds like the Catholic Church is where I'll be heading. It hepls to know that I can kind of be as Catholic as I feel comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity