Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:38 AM

335 posts, read 406,757 times

Advertisements

I find it extremely uncomfortable--does anyone (christian or atheist) else find anything wrong with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Mod can you please transfer this to the christianity sub fora thanks

Last edited by ropper111; 11-09-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 10:28 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Are you referring to private security personnel or actual police? I assume police will provide traffic control and the like for many public events, but I doubt they would take on regular duties directing traffic around a megachurch or something, at least not without some compensation arrangement. One would think it'd be above and beyond their normal responsibilities (and budgets).

I don't see any problem with it as long as the church is paying for it and it's in line with normal crowd control best practices. Perhaps on-duty police officers implies public endorsement of a particular religion or church, and that oversteps a healthy societal boundary -- that's the only problem I can think of.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Ummm - because they want to?

Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Are you referring to private security personnel or actual police? I assume police will provide traffic control and the like for many public events, but I doubt they would take on regular duties directing traffic around a megachurch or something, at least not without some compensation arrangement. One would think it'd be above and beyond their normal responsibilities (and budgets).

I don't see any problem with it as long as the church is paying for it and it's in line with normal crowd control best practices. Perhaps on-duty police officers implies public endorsement of a particular religion or church, and that oversteps a healthy societal boundary -- that's the only problem I can think of.
not sure I feel it's appropriate--they can hire their own private fleet of officers (ie, security). Not sure it's appropriate imo.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:14 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
not sure I feel it's appropriate--they can hire their own private fleet of officers (ie, security). Not sure it's appropriate imo.
Maybe you should find a church that has "police", ask them why they do it, and report back. Then we'd all know something.

As long as they're not using their "police" to round up stray people and force them into church, it's up to them to decide what is appropriate for their church. Not me, and not you.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:25 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Wow, such a sad reflection of our society, and the community this church is in.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Well, as I have only one egress route from my condo, and that route forces me to go by a megachurch, I get very, very annoyed that I am stopped on public road while some person who believes in invisible creatures whose beginnings were dreamt up by some wandering desert goat herders leaves that church.

Although I am a taxpayer in that jurisdiction, I can't vote there as I am a snowbird. Ticks me off to no end.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
I find it extremely uncomfortable--does anyone (christian or atheist) else find anything wrong with it?
nope. I find it wishful thinking that a large group of people wouldn't want police around. There are a lot of sick people.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:05 PM

23,149 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:

It's creepy. no doubt, creepy, especially if one has ever been grabbed by the arm by one.

I asked an assistant pastor about something and just by my asking a question, he wanted me out of there so fast, they treated me like a was a dangerous criminal and everyone looking at me like a terrorist or something.

LOL,

The guy didn't want to answer my question and if he felt uncomfortable, I would have walked out immediately on request, but then to treat me like a criminal with everyone looking at me, I gotta say, I wanted to give them all the finger and act as crazy as they were looking at me, but I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity