Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 03:28 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus was God the Father portraying the person He will accept as His son/ child. He set the example himself since Israel had failed to continue in His word. That is why He refers to the son of man in the third person because all are called but few are chosen. There is One God and One son, Israel God's servant.

It is written;

"Serve the Lord with reverence and rejoice before Him."

" Here is my servant whom I uphold my chosen one with whom I am pleased upon whom I have put my spirit, he will deliver justice to the nation's."

"The Lord guides the humble to justice and He teaches the meek His way."

"Blessed are the meek they will inherit the land."

Isaiah 42:

1.Behold My servant, I will support him, My chosen one, whom My soul desires; I have placed My spirit upon him, he shall promulgate justice to the nations.
Rashi's Commentary:

Behold My servant, I will support him: Behold My servant Jacob is not like you, for I will support him.

My chosen one: Israel is called ‘My chosen one’ ([mss.:] His chosen one) (Ps. 135:4) “For the Eternal chose Jacob for Himself.” Scripture states also (infra 45:4): “For the sake of My servant Jacob and Israel My chosen one.”

whom My soul desires; I have placed My spirit upon him: to let his prophets know My secret, and his end will be that ‘he shall promulgate justice to the nations,’ as it is stated (supra 2:3): “And let Him teach us of His ways etc.”

2.He shall neither cry nor shall he raise [his voice]; and he shall not make his voice heard outside.

Rashi's Commentary:

nor shall he raise [his voice]: He shall not raise his voice. It will not be necessary to admonish and to prophesy to the nations, for they will come by themselves to learn from them [i.e., from Israel], as the matter is stated (Zech. 8: 23): “Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
No, not really sarcasm, if that were the case?
Then, I'd say the Sun has a giant light switch.

Where, you can turn it on/off everyday?
In order to create, light and darkness?

As previously stated, positive and negatives are merely labels.
And darkness is just the absence of light, itself.
Or light could be the absence of darkness...

Old 09-13-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl012 View Post
Where in the Bible does it say Jesus was not the son of God. Also, where does it say God is a duality. Maybe, I missed something when reading the Bible. Where do I find those ideas?

How my ideas are of ancient origin?

Sorry, but you don't appear to be credible.
The way that you posted this makes it sound as if I were the one proffering dualism when it is you that are proffering dualism...Have you ever heard of the Cathars and Catharism?...

The dualism between God and creation has existed as a central belief in multiple historical sects and traditions of Christianity, including Catharism, Paulicianism, and Gnostic Christianity.

The first explicit conception of dualism came from the Ancient Persian Religion of Zoroastrianism around the mid-fifth century BC.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism#Theistic_dualism

See, your idea is not original, but rather ancient in origin...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM

360 posts, read 233,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold reveals the source of our disagreement. The OT God is a megalomaniacal, genocidal monster born in the minds of primitive, barbaric and brutal savages. You are correct that they did not have the Holy Spirit . . . except sporadically . . . and did not know how to interpret the inspirations they did receive because of their ignorance and savagery. With the advent of Christ, we all have His Holy Spirit as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" under the New Covenant.
I see little evidence, practical none, for those comforting words about Christ being in our hearts. As for ignorance and savagery, it has not abated since the dawn of Christianity. What has happened to distort things is religion has elevated humans to God-like status. When I get blasted on a forum for not conforming to someone's ideas, I think "hate and anger" is written in their hearts. I just don't see the evidence for Christ being in the human heart. I have a particular problem because I don't believe Jesus was the son of God. So, to restate the maxim, "may God be in your heart."

It appears as if you are judge and jury concerning OT people. If I recall God didn't like paganism, so he instructed his chosen people to destroy those idols and idol worshippers. Now, we don't have as many idols, we have Al Qaeda and ISIS to attack and kill Christians and Jews. The world has never been a peaceful place. Since the fall of paradise, it has been like a dangerous down hill toboggan run. Mostly, Satan has gotten his way.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold reveals the source of our disagreement. The OT God is a megalomaniacal, genocidal monster born in the minds of primitive, barbaric and brutal savages. You are correct that they did not have the Holy Spirit . . . except sporadically . . . and did not know how to interpret the inspirations they did receive because of their ignorance and savagery. With the advent of Christ, we all have His Holy Spirit as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" under the New Covenant.
Not so much...Maybe you misunderstand the bible...I was just reading an article that espoused the conjecture that the TaNaKh was made up of at least two different philosophies, writings of the Priests and writings of the Israelites of the Northern Kingdom that were very warlike while the Priestly class was more peaceful...This idea may in fact explain how confusing the bible is in the OT...While the Priestly class saw G-d one way, the Israelites saw G-d as a warrior G-d and the two philosophies somehow got merged together, which would explain the two different creation accounts of Genesis chapter 1 and Genesis chapter 2...

Old 09-13-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The way that you posted this makes it sound as if I were the one proffering dualism when it is you that are proffering dualism...Have you ever heard of the Cathars and Catharism?...

The dualism between God and creation has existed as a central belief in multiple historical sects and traditions of Christianity, including Catharism, Paulicianism, and Gnostic Christianity.

The first explicit conception of dualism came from the Ancient Persian Religion of Zoroastrianism around the mid-fifth century BC.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism#Theistic_dualism

See, your idea is not original, but rather ancient in origin...
Perhaps my idea about the duality of God is original, you must understand context.

If my idea about God's duality is not original, please post references. Apparently, the dualism that you reference is about contrasts of ideas or situations, not in reference to God as a duality. Is there religion or cult that defines God as a duality? I think it is important because it speaks to the very nature of God. Just think of it, there is no one God, but there are two Gods, both equal in power, glory and holiness. The big mystery is how do they coordinate or function? Apparently, they are a perfect partnership, each with unique personas. It is also important to understand heaven. It is not just a God sitting on the throne, it is two Gods in sphere on the throne. It is not just one God interacting with angels, it is two Gods interacting. The essence of heaven is two Gods communicating with each other and with the angels.

Also, I don't think there is such a thing as the holy spirit, except in direct reference to God. God is holy and we are not, that sums up my thoughts about the holy spirit.

Last edited by earl012; 09-13-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 08:10 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl012 View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as the holy spirit, except in direct reference to God.
One God, not two or three.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Or light could be the absence of darkness...
Either way, it amounts to the same thing.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:39 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Light exposes what we are.... living in darkness conceals us from it. Light exposes to some of us is our true identity, while to the many darkness covers their world.......Their world is sinful and under condemnation and nothing more than a thought that comes from the darkness that they view the world by...... in other words our world will reflect the way we view it.... where's that in the bible ? ....... look a bit deeper and you'll find it, it will help if you took off the glasses of the pre conceived ideas about God they handed you when you signed up for church.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 PM

Isn't it interesting I asked forum geniuses to find one religious or cult that has proclaimed God to be a duality. As I suspected, they don't exist. Why is that. Oh, wait, someone may have found it. If not I will continue with a prideful feeling that I am the only human to have made the discovery. That can't be right. Come on brilliant ones, refute my God duality idea. Put me in my place. You don't want me to be a prideful do you?

Hey, what happened to my discussion about duality in nature. I detect some science educated people on this forum. I await their research on the topic.

Well, assuming there are no replies to refute, here are some comments.

When God created the universe, it was for a very important reason. As expected, the two Gods cooperated to make the universe reflect their nature. Oh, is some asking, why did God create the universe? Well, one day the two Gods got fed up with the angel Satan. What Satan had been doing was making the angels form a circle around him, just like the two Gods. However, instead of loving the angels, Satan attacked and hurt them. Well, one day, one of the angels went to God and said, "he is hurting us!" What could God do? God had created Satan a long time ago, perhaps several trillion years of earth time. God did not want to kill or terminate Satan, but He had to remove him from heaven. So, God created the universe, a world to reflect Satan's dark evil nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity