Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:24 AM

802 posts, read 453,804 times

Advertisements

A spiritual writings from the 1890's stated this principle as being absolute:

"...and so far is it from being possible that any error can co-exist with inspiration, that inspiration not only is essentially incompatible with error, but excludes and rejects it as absolutely and necessarily as it is impossible that God Himself, the supreme Truth, can utter that which is not true."

"Hence, because the Holy Ghost employed men as His instruments, we cannot therefore say that it was these inspired instruments who, perchance, have fallen into error, and not the primary author. For, by supernatural power, He so moved and impelled them to write-He was so present to them-that the things which He ordered, and those only, they, first, rightly understood, then willed faithfully to write down, and finally expressed in apt words and with infallible truth. Otherwise, it could not be said that He was the Author of the entire Scripture."

But with all the errors and contradictions that can be found in scripture, does anyone believe it is without error?

All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. (Matt. 26:52.)

He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. (Luke 22:36.)

Last edited by Aristotle's Child; 11-12-2014 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:34 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
It was written by man, that is why there are errors in it. Not much, but they do exist. Too much additions and subtraction went into the making of the bible, so who every was in charge of the RCC back then is who determined what was scripture in the end.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
If all scripture is divinely inspired, how can if contain errors?
Because all the errors and contradictions are divinely inspired.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:58 AM

110 posts, read 104,009 times
I was on another web site once that was frequented by several atheist zealots. They produced a very pretty chart by one of their spiritual leaders supposing to show a myriad of errors and contradictions within the bible. The chart would give a verse reference and briefly what it said and then a line would follow to another verse that supposedly contradicted the first verse.

Initially I felt frustrated by the volume of material. Personally I liked to give an answer to these attacks but, I certainly didn't have time to address every supposed error. This was a familiar tactic of theirs; they would copy and paste so much material that no one could address every issue brought up. Another tactic of theirs was to swarm me with several posters responding to one post of mine and then mock me relentlessly when I wasn't able to respond to their individual post promptly. Basically they believed they won the argument by making the most noise.

So getting back to this chart I determined to take the first three and address them just to see if there was much merit in the material. What I found was two of the first three supposed contradictions could be resolved easily within their passages. The third one required a little more biblical knowledge but, was a question I could answer without referencing a single commentary. Of course I'm biased and I fully expected to be able to find reasonable answer to the supposed contradictions given but, I never believed it would be so easy or the answers so obvious.

Now I'm not telling you this to puff myself up. The reason why I could see the solution for the supposed contradictions was I was looking for them. The author of the chart and the poster of the chart were looking for error and contradictions. If their reading comprehension was that poor they easily could have googled the passages and found in commentary the answer to their questions. Their motives obviously were not to find the truth but, a reason to disparage scriptures.

The bible as a whole has been studied continually for nearly 2000 years. The Old Testament has been studied much longer than that. I doubt there are many questions left that hasn't been addressed many times. Christians don't have to close their eyes to have faith in the word of God. Questions are good. Not having all the answers is also ok. That is why we continue to study. But seeking contradictions as a excuse to disregard or diminish scriptures is a wicked thing. It is also intellectually dishonest.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 PM

23 posts, read 18,381 times
The errors are the result of bad translations.

The contradictions are the result of not rightly dividing the word of truth.

Below is a link to a pdf titled "Things that Differ" by C. R. Stam that will help you understand how "the gospel of the grace of God" proclaimed by Paul and "the kingdom gospel" proclaimed by Peter and the 11 apostles are different.

http://www.bijbel.nl/_files/StamI13.pdf

Old 11-12-2014, 01:12 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post
I was on another web site once that was frequented by several atheist zealots. They produced a very pretty chart by one of their spiritual leaders supposing to show a myriad of errors and contradictions within the bible. The chart would give a verse reference and briefly what it said and then a line would follow to another verse that supposedly contradicted the first verse.

Initially I felt frustrated by the volume of material. Personally I liked to give an answer to these attacks but, I certainly didn't have time to address every supposed error. This was a familiar tactic of theirs; they would copy and paste so much material that no one could address every issue brought up. Another tactic of theirs was to swarm me with several posters responding to one post of mine and then mock me relentlessly when I wasn't able to respond to their individual post promptly. Basically they believed they won the argument by making the most noise.

So getting back to this chart I determined to take the first three and address them just to see if there was much merit in the material. What I found was two of the first three supposed contradictions could be resolved easily within their passages. The third one required a little more biblical knowledge but, was a question I could answer without referencing a single commentary. Of course I'm biased and I fully expected to be able to find reasonable answer to the supposed contradictions given but, I never believed it would be so easy or the answers so obvious.

Now I'm not telling you this to puff myself up. The reason why I could see the solution for the supposed contradictions was I was looking for them. The author of the chart and the poster of the chart were looking for error and contradictions. If their reading comprehension was that poor they easily could have googled the passages and found in commentary the answer to their questions. Their motives obviously were not to find the truth but, a reason to disparage scriptures.

The bible as a whole has been studied continually for nearly 2000 years. The Old Testament has been studied much longer than that. I doubt there are many questions left that hasn't been addressed many times. Christians don't have to close their eyes to have faith in the word of God. Questions are good. Not having all the answers is also ok. That is why we continue to study. But seeking contradictions as a excuse to disregard or diminish scriptures is a wicked thing. It is also intellectually dishonest.
Some time ago, an atheist version of the Bible was put out on the internet. It goes through the Bible ripping apart every single verse with contradiction claims or just plain mocking. I can only imagine the number of hours spent to compile such a work. That speaks of a deep hatred for Christianity to me. Of course, atheists won't admit to it (I can't hate an imaginary being!) but looks to me that if they truly believe there is no life after death, they would be out enjoying and getting the most of this life instead of investing countless hours on message boards and writings to put down Christianity.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
A spiritual writings from the 1890's stated this principle as being absolute:

"...and so far is it from being possible that any error can co-exist with inspiration, that inspiration not only is essentially incompatible with error, but excludes and rejects it as absolutely and necessarily as it is impossible that God Himself, the supreme Truth, can utter that which is not true."

"Hence, because the Holy Ghost employed men as His instruments, we cannot therefore say that it was these inspired instruments who, perchance, have fallen into error, and not the primary author. For, by supernatural power, He so moved and impelled them to write-He was so present to them-that the things which He ordered, and those only, they, first, rightly understood, then willed faithfully to write down, and finally expressed in apt words and with infallible truth. Otherwise, it could not be said that He was the Author of the entire Scripture."

But with all the errors and contradictions that can be found in scripture, does anyone believe it is without error?

All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. (Matt. 26:52.)

He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. (Luke 22:36.)
Can you give an example of a contradiction or error?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
See Jesus was called by God to be numbered with the transgressors as one with sinners from Isaiah 53:12....... Were Jesus told His disciples to buy a two swords so Jesus could be numbered among the transgressors where as in Luke 22:36. as the next verse Luke 22:37 say ..``For I say to you that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me ``And he was reckoned among the transgressors for the things concerning me have an end ``......See Jesus had to have this sin on His table before the Lord to be able to justify being equal to the people He would eventually save

Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Quote:
James 2:14-26English Standard Version (ESV)

Faith Without Works Is Dead
14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[a] is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
This is a thorn for folks such as yourself.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:39 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The one that got Galileo in trouble in the first place. The verse in Joshua that states the Sun stopped moving across the sky.

So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. There has never been a day like it before or since…”
Joshua 10:13-14

This appears to be an error as follows:

- The Sun does not move across the sky; rather, the Earth rotates

- Granted that he may have been describing the appearance of the Sun's motion, and not being aware of the order of the Universe, then for the Sun to appear to stop moving the Earth would have had to stop rotating, which clearly did not occur, due to the cataclysmic consequences that would have followed.

So clearly the Bible seems to be in error, if one adheres to a literal interpretation. However, if one accepts that passages such as the one in Joshua were intended not as factual accounts but as fictional stories with moral messages, then the issue of errors and contradictions becomes rather moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity