Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
There is a date but I haven't stated it.
Will it be this spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:28 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
There is a date but I haven't stated it.
That's why I put in my last statement. I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't accusing you of date setting.

I once made an offhand comment about a date in jest at a church we used to attend. The wife of one of the leaders overheard and didn't share my sense of humor. It landed me in hot water with the pastor, but I didn't care. If you can't laugh at yourselves, who can you laugh at?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Are you saying there are no longer any people alive today who lived in 1948? Everything the Bible has said about Israel has come true
I suppose my question is, "How long does the Bible say a generation is?" 40 years, right?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:09 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Will it be this spring?
If you studied the things I posted so far it will aid you to knowing when.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
That's why I put in my last statement. I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't accusing you of date setting.

I once made an offhand comment about a date in jest at a church we used to attend. The wife of one of the leaders overheard and didn't share my sense of humor. It landed me in hot water with the pastor, but I didn't care. If you can't laugh at yourselves, who can you laugh at?
The thing problem that many make is to say that we can't know the date or time. Some even go as far as to say that Jesus doesn't even know which would put those people at direct contradiction with scriptures that say that ALL things were given to Him.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:22 AM

68 posts, read 55,953 times
it's not important to guess/know the date. what's more important is to live your life as if He was coming back tomorrow. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Zadok View Post
it's not important to guess/know the date. what's more important is to live your life as if He was coming back tomorrow. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
Yes.

Anything else is living for yourself and look where Adam doing that got us.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Zadok View Post
I believe they are both important to live your life as He does and that it is also important to know the date.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:24 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
All of scripture, including End Time prophecy has been written for all of mankind, but, intended for every individual. The Olivet Discourse signs are relatively generic, giving every generation since the first century equal reason to believe that theirs were the End Times and final generation. And, in a sense, they were individually correct, since every individual of every generation has faced their own 'End Times'.

Of course, there are a few more specific 'signs' like the re-establishment of the nation Israel (1948), restoration of Jerusalem (1967) and frenetic world conditions. Like rapidly-increasing 'birth pains,' these 'signs of the season' lead me and many others to believe that Christ's return is imminent and that nothing further remains to be fulfilled.

However, the rarely asked question is: 'Are End Time signs given so that people can accurately predict the time ('season') of Christ's return ... or for some other reason? (The time could certainly have been more clearly revealed; plus, nothing can be done on earth to change that time or events).

IMO, the Lord and scripture presents End Time signs in such a way that every individual of every generation has an equal reason to believe that theirs truly could be the final generation (ie; wars, rumors of wars, signs in the sky, quakes, famine, etc). The point is NOT 'date setting or prediction,' but, rather, to create an universal and equal sense of urgency in the response of every individual of every generation ... to God, Christ, their fellow believers and this 'lost and dying world.'

Last edited by jghorton; 11-20-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
All of scripture, including End Time prophecy has been written for all of mankind, but, intended for every individual. The Olivet Discourse signs are relatively generic, giving every generation since the first century equal reason to believe that theirs were the End Times and final generation. And, in a sense, they were individually correct, since every individual of every generation has faced its own 'End Times'.

Of course, there are a few more specific 'signs' like the re-establishment of the nation Israel (1948), restoration of Jerusalem (1967) and frenetic world conditions. Like rapidly-increasing 'birth pains,' these 'signs of the season' lead me and many others to believe that Christ's return is imminent and that nothing further remains to be fulfilled.

The rarely asked question is: 'Are End Time signs given so that people can accurately predict the time ('season') of Christ's return ... or for some other reason? (The time could certainly have been more clearly revealed; plus, nothing can be done on earth to change that time or events).

IMO, the Lord and scripture presents End Time signs in such a way that every individual of every generation has an equal reason to believe that theirs truly could be the final generation (ie; wars, rumors of wars, signs in the sky, quakes, famine, etc). The point is NOT 'date setting or prediction,' but, rather, to create an universal and equal sense of urgency in the response of every individual of every generation ... to God, Christ, their fellow believers and this 'lost and dying world.'
Just because every generation had people that THOUHT it was applicable to there generation doesn't mean is not applicable to a certain one. That would be faulty logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity