Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The solution is not to pray for what you want - pray to give thanks for what you have.
This is good advice. I think it is very important to be thankful.

ETA: I would be very thankful if God let me win the lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 12:15 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
I get what I want and never pray.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
God gave you what you needed, not what you wanted.
Amen! I was going to say the same thing.

Many Christians think of God as some sort of magic Genie in a bottle. They think He is there to grant them all their desires. Maturity comes when we accept, with thankfulness, what we get in life as coming from the hand of our heavenly Father.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 5,466 times
Prayer doesn't work that way. Saying "I believe" and asking for money to buy a computer game that will not benefit you in a relationship with God is not ideal and will not come true. Pray for hungar to read the Bible and get to know God. Pray for things that matter, and not things your flesh desires. Then, your prays will be answered. That is assured.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:53 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
"When you pray go to your room and shut the door and pray in secret then your Father is hidden and sees what is hidden will reward you."

Old 11-24-2014, 02:32 PM

68 posts, read 55,953 times
I think the answer is in your question.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:52 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Ive prayed for another baby for 6yrs, doesnt mean God isnt listening. It means he has a greater plan/timing/course. He has shown me/answered me when it will happen and I still believe it will. I just keep praying and knowing he WILL do it when HES ready.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:28 PM

198 posts, read 262,835 times
Jesus prayed in the garden before he was about to die, because he didn't want to die. But in his prayer, he said, not my will but thine. Just because you pray for something does not mean God will say "YES" to everything you pray for. You can pray and have faith all day long, if it's not in God's will, he will not give it to you.
Even when God says "No", when you are his child, you should find comfort in knowing that all things work together for them that love him. And no matter what, if you get what you want or not, in the end it'll always work for your good.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:06 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
God gave you what you needed, not what you wanted.
I love the old B+W movie The Bishop's Wife. David Niven is the bishop who wants a rich widow to finance a cathedral. Cary Grant is the angel that convinces her to give the money to the poor instead. When the angel says that he is leaving because the bishop's prayer has been answered, the bishop says "I prayed for a cathedral." and the angel answers "No. You prayed for guidance. That has been given to you."

[CUE: THE ROLLING STONES]

Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
The prosperity gospel is, ask and ye shall receive:

Matthew 7:7
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

So if you dont ask for something, how can you receive it, would be the question many will ask.

But then brings up the question of why even bother to pray for something if its not Gods will. If its his will, you will receive it whether you pray for it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity