Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times

Advertisements

John 14:26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.

I used to believe that this verse of scripture was meaning that Jesus was saying to his disciples that he would bring back to remembrance all that he taught them. Could they really have forgotten such so much in such a little time ?.

I now lean towards it meaning the comforter bringing us to remembrance all that which we have forgotten having entered into this human experience. Having long forgotten what was said to us, we go astray having no word to guide us, then we hear the one calling out to us in our wilderness which begins to jog our memories of that which we have forgotten, then we hear the voice of Jesus Christ within us teaching us and our and all that we have forgotten begins to return

Here is what i believe we have forgotten......... You are always with me and all that is mine is yours. Luke 15:31

The prodigal i believe heard this and remembered who he was and where he had come from. It is also interesting to note the Father's response to the prodigals remorse, it wasn't one of "yes i know you have been a bad boy haven't you", but one of gladness that he had returned in memory to who he was.

Notice too that the comforter within us is doing the teaching that brings back that which we have forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 12:40 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,696 times
He reminds and speaks what God has spoken through the prophets, the son of man. That is how he takes from what is the son of mans and the Father's and declares it thus glorifying Jesus and the Father.

"When he comes, the spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own but he will speak what he hears and declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you."

Old 11-27-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
He reminds and speaks what God has spoken through the prophets, the son of man. That is how he takes from what is the son of mans and the Father's and declares it thus glorifying Jesus and the Father.

"When he comes, the spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own but he will speak what he hears and declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you."
Jesus said he(the comforter) would bring to remembrance the things that he said to US. The very verse you are quoting says this too.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:14 PM

8,168 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
John 14:26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.

I used to believe that this verse of scripture was meaning that Jesus was saying to his disciples that he would bring back to remembrance all that he taught them. Could they really have forgotten such so much in such a little time ?.

I now lean towards it meaning the comforter bringing us to remembrance all that which we have forgotten having entered into this human experience. Having long forgotten what was said to us, we go astray having no word to guide us, then we hear the one calling out to us in our wilderness which begins to jog our memories of that which we have forgotten, then we hear the voice of Jesus Christ within us teaching us and our and all that we have forgotten begins to return

Here is what i believe we have forgotten......... You are always with me and all that is mine is yours. Luke 15:31

The prodigal i believe heard this and remembered who he was and where he had come from. It is also interesting to note the Father's response to the prodigals remorse, it wasn't one of "yes i know you have been a bad boy haven't you", but one of gladness that he had returned in memory to who he was.

Notice too that the comforter within us is doing the teaching that brings back that which we have forgotten.

Hey friend!

Very good things to ponder!
I sometimes think we are closest (meaning closest in spirit, from our perspective) to the Creator when we were little children. We don't quite understand at the time, but I think there is something within childhood that, though very immature, is like the seed that grows. As we age and experience life in this wilderness of good and evil, our paths weave in and out of the darkness and the light.

I do believe we are being "re-conciled". We are being RESTORED to harmony with our Creator.
Slowly, but surely. Each and every one.
Sometimes, life does feel as though it is a dream... and when we die, we merely AWAKEN.
We never actually are separated from God or anything or anyone. Ever.
The unseen eternal.

Thank you for posting what you did. It really touched me. I appreciate it.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and to everyone here.

peace,
sparrow

Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Jesus said he(the comforter) would bring to remembrance the things that he said to US. The very verse you are quoting says this too.
The son of man is the word of God. All of it. Not only what Jesus said.

Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The son of man is the word of God. All of it. Not only what Jesus said.

Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God.
I have news for you, the mouth of God is not the bible.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
The Holy Spirit cannot "call to our remembrance," that to which we have refused to submit in the first place. Those who pretend to have a 'private knowledge of God' that exceeds or contradicts scripture, are deceived.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I have news for you, the mouth of God is not the bible.
The mouth of God is the son of man, the prophet's, who spread the word of the Lord. The word of God is in the bible. Anyone who chooses to be a prophet uses God's word and are the mouth of God, the son of man.

Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it. Blessed is he who prophecies.

"The son of man comes eating and drinking."

"My servants shall eat but you shall go hungry. My servants shall drink but you shall go thirsty. "

Therefore the servants of the Lord are the son of man.

I am son of man.

It is written;

"If you repent so I restore you, you will stand in my presence. If you bring forth the precious and not the vile you will be my mouthpiece." says the Lord

Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The Holy Spirit cannot "call to our remembrance," that to which we have refused to submit in the first place. Those who pretend to have a 'private knowledge of God' that exceeds or contradicts scripture, are deceived.
How can you refuse to submit to that which you have forgotten and who said anything about private knowledge ?. Christ is bringing us all to the same thing....... remembrance of who we are.

Forgetting and remembering can be found throughout the scriptures, and it is only when the comforter brings us to remembrance of the things that we have forgotten, we forget our past and live in the glorious liberty(freedom)of the sons of God. He who whom the son sets free by the remembrance of things spoken to him that he's forgotten(i am with you always and all that is mine is yours)is free indeed

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old Isaiah 42:18. Step into most bible believing churches and they cannot speak enough of the former thing (the old man) thus keeping the hearer in continual remembrance of something they are not and keeping the former thing (old man) alive.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. The in Christ is being aware of who you really are, being a bible believing christisn by know means, means you are in Christ. Know you not that Jesus Christ is in you ?. 2 Cor 13:5

Comfort ye Comfort ye my people........... Tell them who they are and where to find the one the scriptures testify of until their hearing is quickened and they remember who they are.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-27-2014 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It is is the word of God that quickens us. What is it that you submitted to in the first place ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity