U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Highland Village
1,438 posts, read 3,617,603 times
Reputation: 999

Advertisements

Who all was on the ark with Noah? How did mankind have more children with just one family on the boat? I was watching Evan Almighty and it made me wonder....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
 
33 posts, read 66,465 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Who all was on the ark with Noah? How did mankind have more children with just one family on the boat? I was watching Evan Almighty and it made me wonder....
Genesis 7:7

Genesis Chapter 10 This should be a good start.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
 
5,640 posts, read 14,494,600 times
Reputation: 2742
Speaking of the ark, it's interesting to note that, aside from the Genesis version, all other flood accounts failed when their version of the ark was put to the test. For example, in the Babylonian version, the Ark was shaped like a cube, which would have made it unseaworthy. The design of Noah's Ark shows an advanced design in ship-building. Its length of six times its width and 10 times its height would have made it amazingly stable on the ocean. Think about it--it was made more for floating than sailing because it wasn't heading anywhere!

Today, the ark would have been about half the length size of a modern aircraft carrier.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 PM
 
2,949 posts, read 5,062,905 times
Reputation: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Who all was on the ark with Noah? How did mankind have more children with just one family on the boat? I was watching Evan Almighty and it made me wonder....
There were 8 people. noah had 3 sons and their wives. It`s in the book!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
6,275 posts, read 5,444,148 times
Reputation: 4483
Beyond the Biblical account... we can only speculate. There is no sin in "could it have been this way" as long as our thinking does not contradict other parts of God's word.
*(Example: saying the ark "had" to be built of metal when in fact the Bible says it was made of wood. This is just an example).

There are secrets, mysteries, and information in the Bible... all for our edification.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 PM
 
Location: In chilly Omaha (suburb) NE
1,611 posts, read 2,796,632 times
Reputation: 2132
So, it may be wondered, how can family members regenerate and populate the earth? Wouldn't that create a lot of diffuse disease from familial genetic mutations?
Remember Noah's family was not far removed from the perfect beings created - Adam and Eve. There was likely little genetic transcription difficulties, which would allow intermarriage among family members. And this is before the Mosaic Law, which frowned on incestuous relations. And strangely enough, this happens today, and there are still few transcription difficulties. The prohibition is for morality, not necessarily for genetics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 PM
 
436 posts, read 685,305 times
Reputation: 133
I have a different feeling about the story of the Ark. So, bear with me a minute, and here it is;

I believe that the Bible was written in a method to appeal to the people of the times. It was not initially written in a language to accommodate people hundreds of years later. They had to get the attention of the people, in a method they could understand, which meant- simplicity.

Having said that, I believe there was a great flood, BUT I do not believe it encompassed the entirety of the earth as WE know it. I believe it occurred within the area of Mesopotamia, the Tigris basin, a place of great biblical happenings. The idea of a flood in that area, unless mistaken, is acknowledged by archeological finds. This, I think was the "earth" which is referred to in the Bible. Being realistic, most of the inhabitants probably never traveled outside of that area, thus that was the only thing they knew of the world. Most likely, Noah and his family were the people of the area who were spared during the event. Some say the Ark came to rest on Mount Ararat, in Turkey, which in north of the flood basin.

I find it very difficult to believe the story as written, with "two of this animal, and two of that animal.' I believe he may have had a random sampling of animals from the area, but certainly not two of every species in the world. To believe that would force me to believe that he hand delivered specific species to specific areas of the world. THAT, I have a difficult time buying.

SO, yes, I believe in the flood; but with reservations, and respect to the writings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 PM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,475,397 times
Reputation: 1240
Smile Oooh, one of my favorite topics....

Well, I'm a bible believer. I am one of those "wacky" folks who takes Genesis as straight-forward narrative history. There's nothing been shown to prove to the contrary. I believe yes, the story is "simplified" but that it really did occur as stated in the bible. It's really not that difficult to comprehend once the Holy Spirit reveals the truth to you.

First, little_thirsty, just today I came across an article that shows it's not impossible for 3 couples to have been fruitful and multiplied to fill the earth after the flood. Billions of People in Thousands of Years?

Second, as to the veracity of the account, I believe there is proof today of the global, world-wide Noachian flood. IMO, the fossil record is evidence of all the creatures buried by the flood that were not aboard the ark. Two of every kind of land creature (wild beasts and cattle), reptile and bird has been shown to take only as few as 16,000 to 20,000 animals. It has also been shown that the ark was quite large enough to accommodate all the animals and all the food and water required for the people and the animals to be aboard the ark for the year-long flood.

You'd have to ask yourself, if it was only local and it didn't come for 120 years from the first pronouncement that it was going to happen, why didn't the animals just migrate out of the area? The birds could have flown away to return after the flood was over. Why the need for such a large vessle if it was only local? Also, and more importantly IMO, if it is assumed to be local, God promised to never again destory the earth by water, such as he did during Noah's flood. However, throughout history there have been catastrophic regional/local floods causing large losses of life. Did God lie? I don't believe so, because there has never again been a global flood. There's a book called Noah's Ark: A Feasability Study that answers all the major criticisms of Noah's Ark.

You have to keep in mind, expounding on the story with reasonable answers is acceptable, as long as it doesn't go against scripture. And from all I've read, the answers actually line up with the bible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
 
2,314 posts, read 6,078,004 times
Reputation: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
I find it very difficult to believe the story as written, with "two of this animal, and two of that animal.' I believe he may have had a random sampling of animals from the area, but certainly not two of every species in the world. To believe that would force me to believe that he hand delivered specific species to specific areas of the world. THAT, I have a difficult time buying.
I find it interesting that you question the ark story, but Im assuming as a Christian have no problem accepting the other outlandish fairy tales of the bible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM
 
2,949 posts, read 5,062,905 times
Reputation: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Well, I'm a bible believer. I am one of those "wacky" folks who takes Genesis as straight-forward narrative history. There's nothing been shown to prove to the contrary. I believe yes, the story is "simplified" but that it really did occur as stated in the bible. It's really not that difficult to comprehend once the Holy Spirit reveals the truth to you.

First, little_thirsty, just today I came across an article that shows it's not impossible for 3 couples to have been fruitful and multiplied to fill the earth after the flood. Billions of People in Thousands of Years?

Second, as to the veracity of the account, I believe there is proof today of the global, world-wide Noachian flood. IMO, the fossil record is evidence of all the creatures buried by the flood that were not aboard the ark. Two of every kind of land creature (wild beasts and cattle), reptile and bird has been shown to take only as few as 16,000 to 20,000 animals. It has also been shown that the ark was quite large enough to accommodate all the animals and all the food and water required for the people and the animals to be aboard the ark for the year-long flood.

You'd have to ask yourself, if it was only local and it didn't come for 120 years from the first pronouncement that it was going to happen, why didn't the animals just migrate out of the area? The birds could have flown away to return after the flood was over. Why the need for such a large vessle if it was only local? Also, and more importantly IMO, if it is assumed to be local, God promised to never again destory the earth by water, such as he did during Noah's flood. However, throughout history there have been catastrophic regional/local floods causing large losses of life. Did God lie? I don't believe so, because there has never again been a global flood. There's a book called Noah's Ark: A Feasability Study that answers all the major criticisms of Noah's Ark.

You have to keep in mind, expounding on the story with reasonable answers is acceptable, as long as it doesn't go against scripture. And from all I've read, the answers actually line up with the bible.
I agree mams. I believe in the 120 years God could have called all the animals he needed to migrate to the area of the Ark. Remember,he only needed species not every sub-species.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top