Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 AM

546 posts, read 1,818,118 times

Advertisements

My two older boys are age 11 and 9. They both have expressed an interest in being baptized. The interesting thing is my 9 year old is more adament about it than my 11 year old. He has always had a very open heart about expressing his love for Christ, understanding God's love and has openly accepted the Lord into his heart. I know with certainty no one is pushing them into being baptized. My worry is whether or not he fully comprehends the signifigance of being baptized-- however I do not believe in turning a child away and dismissing his desire to move forward with this in his life either especially because when I talk with them they seem very clear in their understanding of what it means and how important it is. As a parent I will probably seek the advice and counsel of the youth pastor at our church but am just curious if anyone else has explored this issue with their kids and what you decided? I was baptized as a baby in a different faith and always feel kind of sad that I did not have an understanding of what I was doing and I don't want them to experience these feelings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:18 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Congrats on your kid's desire to please the Lord. We understand that the Lord put that desire within people since we in ourselves are unable to seek Him.

That being said - since the Lord is already in the kids, water baptism becomes a non-issue with regards to God. But if they want to do it as a public confession of their faith - no need to delay.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:48 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,154 times
When kids have a grasp of sin and realize significance of repentance the very reason why infant baptism is not only inappropriate but a serious blasphemy and a slap in the face of the word leaving again the odor of religion in spite of good intentions and the perceived notion it frees an infant from so called original sin.....please save me save me for crying out loud!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:59 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
When my kids approached me and told me they wanted baptized is when I baptized them. I had the discussion with them and I made sure they understood the Gospel, what sin was, what Jesus did on the cross, etc.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
get them a religion just in case. It doesn't matter when. And teach them they don't have to follow it but that you just wanted them to be able to function in society. But if they want to follow that's cool too.

so don't cry over spilled water.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Mine were never baptized. They never brought it up, and they have never sought religious affiliation as adults.

Do both of them need to be baptized at the same time if one is more interested in exploring faith?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Mine were never baptized. They never brought it up, and they have never sought religious affiliation as adults.

Do both of them need to be baptized at the same time if one is more interested in exploring faith?
That is entirely up to them. I doubt you are....but don't let any Christian tell you that you did anything wrong as a parent by NOT getting them baptized against their wishes.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

no, the whole family does. lmao At least mine will have made the choice. yours will do what mommy and daddy did. Wonder who will have thought about it more?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That is entirely up to them. I doubt you are....but don't let any Christian tell you that you did anything wrong as a parent by NOT getting them baptized against their wishes.
You doubt I am what? Why would anyone tell me such a thing?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, the whole family does. lmao At least mine will have made the choice. yours will do what mommy and daddy did. Wonder who will have thought about it more?
As adults they are free to do as they please with regard to faith.

My children have always had choice. The whole family needs to be baptized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity