Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:05 AM

646 posts, read 467,267 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I have a question regarding people who claim to be Christians, are members of a church and all that, but really do not practice the religion and say that they are not sure they believe and/or say they only participate in church events etc. because of peer pressure. I know some people who do this, and I assume it is not at all uncommon.

So, I understand that many believe that one only "goes to heaven" if one believes in Jesus. But, what about those people mentioned above who are Christian "on paper only?" What happens to them according to you?

Last edited by Cliksder; 02-27-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM

157 posts, read 101,932 times
Yet again, who do they think they are? Do they even know what Jesus looks like? Now telling something they don't know: we have a book called the Holy Bible. You can take your rifles and roll all the way back to New Mexico now.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:56 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,966,428 times
They have a fair amount to learn.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
...snip...

So, I understand that many believe that one only "goes to heaven" if one believes in Jesus. But, what about those people mentioned above who are Christian "on paper only?" What happens to them according to you?
They end up in the same place as most everyone else.

Fundavangelists, however, go to hell.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 PM

646 posts, read 467,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
They end up in the same place as most everyone else.

Fundavangelists, however, go to hell.

Where do most other people go according to you? Excuse my ignorance, but I am really clueless.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:11 PM

389 posts, read 919,617 times
I would say that this is a matter between them and God, not for you to worry about (other than as a casual observer) because only God knows their true heart (not just what comes out of their mouth). The bigger matter is the relationship between YOU and God. What do you believe? Where do you stand?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Quote:
Where do most other people go according to you? Excuse my ignorance, but I am really clueless.
I was joking, above.

I don't know where anyone goes but I strongly believe we all go to the same place -- I'll call it Elsewhere.

I don't believe in hell. And doubt there's a heaven.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:34 PM

335 posts, read 220,917 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I have a question regarding people who claim to be Christians, are members of a church and all that, but really do not practice the religion and say that they are not sure they believe and/or say they only participate in church events etc. because of peer pressure. I know some people who do this, and I assume it is not at all uncommon.

People are saved by a faith in Christ. Many people teach that belief is faith, but this is not true.

Belief = An opinion or judgement in which a person is fully persuaded.

Faith = ( Belief + Action + Confidence )

Good works do not save a person.
But good works are the natural result of true faith.

Good works do not justify a person before God.
But good works (such as repentance/turning from sin, submitting and conforming yourself to the teachings of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit) justify a persons faith.

Christ taught that we will know if a tree is good or bad by the fruit it produces.
Bad trees, will be burnt up and cease to exist.
Good trees will be pruned by God to be made even more fruitful and they will never perish.

It is more about a persons attitude towards God than about any individual sin.
The attitude of someone who has truly been born again is an attitude of repentance and obedience to God.
The Holy Spirit gives people new desires, desires which cause us to be pleasing to God through obedience.
We do not change ourselves, but the Holy Spirit changes us from the inside out.

If a person does not have that change of heart, they are not on the right path.
The fate that awaits them is the same fate that awaits all men who love themselves and their sin more than God and His perfect ways.

Death.
For God will not grant eternal life and adopt anyone as His child who chooses and desires to be evil and selfish. God will not allow the sinfulness of man to exist for all eternity. God made it possible for us to overcome our fallen nature (by walking in the "Spirit" vs the "flesh") and He made it possible for the penalty of our sins to be paid. He also came and showed us how we are to live our lives. Those who reject His son have no way of being justified before God.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM

45,755 posts, read 27,404,148 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Hello

One goes to heaven because they are joined to Christ thru faith in Him, His death, and physical resurrection.

It's not really about religion, but a relationship with Christ.

Many on this section of C-D say they are Christians , but they are not based on their testimony.

Ultimately God decides whose faith is true, and whose faith is false. There are only two categories - those who are God's child by faith, and those who are not. So they will be treated the same as those who blatantly reject God.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,307,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
I would say that this is a matter between them and God, not for you to worry about (other than as a casual observer) because only God knows their true heart (not just what comes out of their mouth). The bigger matter is the relationship between YOU and God. What do you believe? Where do you stand?
If only people would understand this simple concept. If we did, we would not be facing Christian Sharia Law in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity