Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times

Advertisements

Simple question. How is Catholic theology different from Orthodox theology? I'm asking about specific topics...

1. Where do the Orthodox get their authority? Is it "Scripture and tradition" like the Catholics, or is it other things too
2. How do they view Mary?
3. Salvation: Faith + Works or just faith?

Those are the issues I just thought up. Just curious...

Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 PM

322 posts, read 737,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Simple question. How is Catholic theology different from Orthodox theology? I'm asking about specific topics...

1. Where do the Orthodox get their authority? Is it "Scripture and tradition" like the Catholics, or is it other things too

Mackinac
Are you referring to the Eastern Orthodox Church? Actually I'm not a Catholic or familiar much with the Eastern Churches.

The basic meaning of orthodox or orthodoxy is simply, correct doctrine.
But of course the word is used by some with different shades of meaning.

I believe the holy scriptures rightly translated and interpreted to be orthodoxy.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I meant the eastern orthodox churches

Old 10-06-2008, 07:19 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Basically their doctrines are identical and also like those of most Protestant religions. The differences have always been political.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:29 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
I love the new tape over mouth!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
The Catholic and Orthodox Churches both have their basis in the Roman Empire. The empire split into an East and West empire (the Eastern empire became what is known as Byzantine). It was when the Roman See "declared" itself a primacy that the Eastern church split. It was political and not doctrinal. Over the centuries the two churches have developed somewhat different doctrines and ideas, but much have the two in common. At times bloodily antagonstic to each other it is only recently that the two have began closer ties.

Eastern Orthodoxy is one movement and one church with authority vested in each country's church, i.e. The Russsian Orthodox or the Ukranian Orthodox, are all loyal to the Greek Orthodox church.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

Mackinac
Sorry, in my previous post I didn't really answer your questions!

1. Yes, Scripture and tradition
2. Mary is venerated as the Theotokos (She Who gave birth to God). As the fulfillment of a new Ark of Covenant because she carried the new covenant within her. She is honored above all other Saints, but no, she (nor any saint) is prayed to.
3. Tough to answer. Hypothetically one may attain theosis (union of man with god) through faith alone, but not so likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity