Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 9,118 times

Advertisements

Why are you a Catholic and why should I be one too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
The reasons you choose to be involved in an organized Religion are your own reasons and no one should have to convince you why you should choose to be in an organized Religion or believe in God.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSanders View Post
Most commonly because of your ancestry. If your ancestors were Catholic you will likely be a Catholic.

Conversion is something else. You would do this is you seek the original Christian Church established by Jesus.

Watch this video:

Dr. Peter Kreeft's conversion to Catholicism from Protestantism (Full) - YouTube

Those that study Christian history in great detail are at risk of conversion.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Quote:

You know you're on a different road than I was since I was raised in the faith. You've had different scenery than I did. I'd say look at the 'pictures' of your life. As they say all 'pictures' tell a story. Perhaps they could give you the whys and wherefores.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Most commonly because of your ancestry. If your ancestors were Catholic you will likely be a Catholic.

Conversion is something else. You would do this is you seek the original Christian Church established by Jesus.

Watch this video:

Dr. Peter Kreeft's conversion to Catholicism from Protestantism (Full) - YouTube

Those that study Christian history in great detail are at risk of conversion.
what benefit does one receive by doing so?

Old 04-14-2014, 04:19 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
what benefit does one receive by doing so?
Vizio:

If you study the history of Christianity in a secular academic environment with no bias you will end up Catholic.

Listen to Dr. Kreeft

Old 04-14-2014, 04:48 PM

225 posts, read 162,158 times
Default Why be a Catholic?

Quote:
=RobertSanders;34359489]Why are you a Catholic and why should I be one too?
Rather than "altar calls" God seeks what God Himself calls.

Here I will supply the short and precise answer to what is a GREAT question.

God choose Abram about 4,000 + years ago to be the father of a New nation founded by God; guided by God and proteced by God. Then and forever more God continued to choose One Man to Lead "HIS CHOSEN people.

Moses, the Judges, Kings like Davis and Soloman [with a covenant promise that that line would contnue], then the Prophets like Isaiah, and the final Prophet being John the Baptist, who led to the Long awaited and promised Mwessiah; Jesus the Christ.

All the while teaching a Faith of One God; with just One set of faith beliefs and for reasons ONLY God fully understands; Only One chosen people.

Then Christ following His own OT traditions, picked up where He had left of. He instituted a New Covenant; which BTW, does not void or invalidiate the prior ones; BUT does SUPERCEDE All previous Covenants because of its fullness and perfection.

Christ then choose one man; Simon, whom He named Peter. It's notable that God also changed "Abram" to "Abraham." And that any time God gives a new name it is highly signifiant and one should expect great things from susch a person.

Christ then choose 11 other men, whom He called His Apostles [Mt. 10: 1-5], led by Peter [Mt. 16:15-19]. He gave His very Powers and authority to them. Mt. 10: 1-2; John 17: 18; Jn.20:21 and Mt. 28: 18:20.

Christ also following once again what He had Ordained in the OT taught and mandated a New Faith based on One God [Triune], One set of Faith beliefs, and now with the mandate being chnaged from Cf. "just the Jewish nation" to the "ENTIRE World" Mt. 10:6-8 & Mt. 28:16-20. Also see Eph. 4: 1-7

So this then is the brief answer you seek.

From the very time of Abraham, through Christ and Peter GOD; both Yahweh and Christ with utter consistancy,and no deveations accepted insisted on a Favolive people; Only Himself as their God and now only One Church. This is both historically and biblically provable.

The fable that the CC HAD such authority at one time, but somehow :lost it" is at best a myth statred to
enable mere men to found competiting faiths, thinking that they knew n=more; or perhaps knew better than God, & His Catholic Church. Such an event not only NEVER took place; but CAN"T take place or the bible is wrong and or God is a liar/

Matthew 16: 13-19
"And Jesus came into the quarters of Caesarea Philippi: [caps for empjasis not shouting] [WHERE THE AREAS LARGEST PAGAN TEMPLE WAS LOCATED] and he asked his disciples, [APOSTLES] saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is? But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets. Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am?

Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. [And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon[YOU PETER] this rock I will build my church,[SINGULAR] and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee [ALL OF ] the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. " THIS LAST PART REFERS TO THE BPOWERS OF UNLIMITED GOVERNANCE AS WAS COMMON FOR WALLED IN CITES AT THE TIME; INCLUDING JERUSALEM, WHICH DOES HAVE GATES, DOORS AND LOCKS. This is precisely what Christ confired upon Peter, answerable ONLY to the king: Himslf; God.

Please let me know if you'd like me to expand upon this?

God Bless you and thanks for asking

IamACatholic
Patrick

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-15-2014 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Please..Stop, using red font as in these religion forums it is reserved for moderation

Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM

225 posts, read 162,158 times
Default What benefits are there to being a Catholic?

Quote:
=Vizio;34365509]what benefit does one receive by doing so?
GREAT question again

I'll try the short version first, but will galdly expand it if requested to do so.

I just finished a short reply on WHY one ought to be a Catholic on this same thread. Please READ it.

Because God has always, without deviation COMMANDED belief in just One God, with only One Faith pits illogical to preseme that God can hold more than one only truth per long defined issue; and one chosen people is convertd to ONLY One Church, that which Christ Himself founded; again with one set of Faith beliefs a and One God-Triune. READ Eph. 4: 1-7

Therefore it is both logical and factual that ALL salvation, directly or indirectly MUST and DOES Flow through the ONLY Church founded, guided and garded by the Holy Spirit and Jesus personally [John 17:13-22] todays Catholic church.

Because of the continued Personal protection of Christ the Founder John 17:18-19; His NEW-Chosen- People; Catholics [historically termed "The Way"; then "Christians" and a few years later called "Catholics" [which means Universal], are given ACCESS to graces not available outside of the CC*** called SACRAMENTAL Graces; included are tow that are priceless in the endeavor to attain the Beatific Vision [heaven]; namely The Eucharist; the GIFT of Christ Himself in person [and yes I can support this biblically]; and Sacramental Confession the ONLYl; the signle way that Christ commanded and approves for sin forgivenessl Bar none! READ 1 John 1: 8-10; then 1 john 5: 16-17 and then John 20:19-23.

NOTE:*** The sacraments are also valid, but NOt both licit and valid in the Orthodox churches that have maintaied DIRECT apostoloc succession. [They were a PART OF THE RCC for about the 1st thousnad years after Christ death and Recurrection.

The Sacraments are irreplacable sourse of Gods Mercy, Love and Grace; and all of the above ought to cause everyone who truly desires heaven to become an informed, fully practicing Catholic. Amen!

Thnak you for asking!
God Bless you,
IamACatholic
Patrick

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-15-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 PM

296 posts, read 238,719 times
Reading this might help also: Why Be Catholic

Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Vizio:

If you study the history of Christianity in a secular academic environment with no bias you will end up Catholic.

Listen to Dr. Kreeft
I have studied it. I remain a non-Roman Catholic.

Having said that, you didn't answer the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity