Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:11 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,951,713 times

Advertisements

KJV

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

NIV

Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,638,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
KJV

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

NIV

Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city
what's the difference between

1) that's one set a rad rollers.
2) That's a nice truck.

The difference is lies with the literal translator.
The 2nd one was talking about a boy's toy truck.

guess you had to be there?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,618,431 times
why should we converse with you ? your posts are inflammatory toward
all religions. you are a militant atheist who gloats over the lessening role
of religious beliefs and traditions in society, as if the absolute truth was
some form of gallup poll. no thanks.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:22 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,241,656 times
Quote:
KJV

NIV

The ESV is similar to the NIV, as is the NASB.

Why the difference? I'm not entirely certain. I do know that the KJV was based off of a different set of manuscripts that were not as as old as the others. I would suspect that that there was a problem with the manuscript that the KJV was translated from.

While the KJV was a pretty good translation for its time, there have since then been discovered some much older, and more reliable manuscripts. We don't believe that the copies of the Bible are inerrant. So the KJV does have errors in it.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The ESV is similar to the NIV, as is the NASB.

Why the difference? I'm not entirely certain. I do know that the KJV was based off of a different set of manuscripts that were not as as old as the others. I would suspect that that there was a problem with the manuscript that the KJV was translated from.

While the KJV was a pretty good translation for its time, there have since then been discovered some much older, and more reliable manuscripts. We don't believe that the copies of the Bible are inerrant. So the KJV does have errors in it.
A reasonable explanation.

The point here is that this is not a minor discrepancy, but there is no similarly in many between the two.

How does one determine biblical inerrancy if there is disagreement of what is said? It seems that one can reflect on Q, however, as Q is not available, who determined what parts are inerrant?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
why should we converse with you ? your posts are inflammatory toward
all religions. you are a militant atheist who gloats over the lessening role
of religious beliefs and traditions in society, as if the absolute truth was
some form of gallup poll. no thanks.
This is the Christian sub forum. As such it is a place for honest discussion on issues surrounding Christianity.

Your not going to see other issues being promulgated by me here. There are other areas for that. It would also be against forum rules.

If you have a perspective on why the difference, this is a is place to discuss that.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,297,975 times
Quote:
KJV

NIV

The first one is authorized by God Himself because it is the KJV...LOL

The second one is the new age crazy liberal translation, much like the dark-skinned long haired radical from Nazareth might have said it.

Let's give this the old college try shall we?

Obviously, the only real difference is the action required to gain the right to the tree of life and enter through the gates into the city. Suppose we can all agree the gates are the proverbial PEARLY GATES of HEAVEN...can't we?

Is there really any surprise that those who "do His commandments" will be rewarded? Am I right in saying this is as plain as the virgin birth? Right...

So we start becoming confused when that old English spoken by God, is translated into modern English the rest of the world speaks today. (Would it be safe to say that God has updated His vernacular and now speaks contemporary English like us?)

Great, since we are all in one accord, we are right? Looking at the second version in American English, we see that they (we) now have to "wash their (our) robes" to access the tree of life that lies beyond the pearly gates..

My understanding, and I must admit I have not spoken with any one that has 3 master degrees and 6 divinity degrees or anyone that even has gone to a cheap theological school like Liberty University, therefore, the following is my own personal understanding as it makes sense to me and is most meaningful on a melancholy day..

Doing and keeping the Lord's commandments (remember what they are--MATTHEW 22:37--40. Turn to the page if we need a refresher) is a whole lot of HARD and difficult work for us mere mortals.
Therefore in keeping the commandments, we are undoubtedly going to get DIRTY, maybe even BLOODY and PUMMELED (think of the places that have outlawed feeding the poor, removed park benches for them to sleep on, installed those fugly concrete spikes in underpasses to prevent people from sleeping there and using sprinklers to run off the homeless, etc) it takes a lot of determination and self-sacrifice to love your neighbor (ALL OUR NEIGHBORS) when society is always putting up stumbling blocks and arresting us..

So before we gain access to the tree of life beyond the pearly gates, we will have to WASH our robes of the multitude of SIN we have fought against to carry out the commandments.

But what about that first commandment to LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART...that's a very good question and I can tell all the serious students are asking that very question..

So I will say this about that..BY LOVING OUR NEIGHBORS (ALL OF THEM) WE FULFILL THE FIRST COMMANDMENT OF LOVING GOD WITH ALL OUR BEING..

Gosh boys and Girls, aren't we thankful God no longer speaks the Queen's English? It is such a confusing language isn't it?

You make each day a special day. You know how, by just your being you. There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are. OR NOT!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
A reasonable explanation.

The point here is that this is not a minor discrepancy, but there is no similarly in many between the two.
Actually...they probably aren't all that far off. They both indicate followers of Christ.
Quote:
How does one determine biblical inerrancy if there is disagreement of what is said? It seems that one can reflect on Q, however, as Q is not available, who determined what parts are inerrant?
Far smarter people than I are familiar with the different textual variances, and they know the different branches of texts. I've been told that they are even able to distinguish between a particular scribe's handwriting style. It's that much of a science. It's not unreasonable to be able to go back and compare different generations of texts and be able to deduce when an error crept in.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
This is the Christian sub forum. As such it is a place for honest discussion on issues surrounding Christianity.

Your not going to see other issues being promulgated by me here. There are other areas for that. It would also be against forum rules.

If you have a perspective on why the difference, this is a is place to discuss that.
You do kind of have a history of some outlandish statements regarding scripture. The image you have presented of yourself is that you have a definite agenda, and that you are not friendly to our beliefs. Why are you surprised when someone is bothered by it?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,468,476 times
Quote:
KJV

NIV

Different texts. The Textus receptus (KJV ) is an altered text in places. However both mean the same if one considers what washing ones robe entails

As an example:

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

If one obeys and stops such sins then they are washed clean.

Any one verse can be a problem until we look for other verses discussing the same subject and then the Bible explains/interprets itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity