Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 03:43 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No. The sin nature is passed down by the male at conception. That's why the genealogies go to the trouble of telling us that Jesus had no human biological father. It goes back to the fact that while Eve was deceived, Adam was not deceived, and therefore it is Adam's sin nature which is passed down through the male rather than through the female, and it is Adam's sin, rather than Eve's which is imputed to the sin nature resulting in spiritual death at the point of physical birth.
I do believe this, Mike that the sin nature is passed down through the male xx chromosome. I do not believe that Jesus had a biological father. But it is interesting to discuss. So you can count me in to those who believe that Mary did literally conceive of a human child via the over-shadowing of the Holy Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 03:48 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,730,587 times
Quote:
No, he is not correct about the nature of my question. The simple fact is that people such as yourself have a low view of Scripture meaning that you don't hold to inerrancy and don't believe the Bible is the Word of God. Therefore you believe that the writers of Scripture were capable of inventing the virgin birth story.

If Jesus had not been born of a virgin then He would have acquired a sin nature at birth, and therefore disqualified from going to the cross to die as a substitute for our sins which is something you also do not believe. If there was no virgin birth then there is no salvation.
Well, the "nature" of your question flows from another false premise--- that "sin" is transmitted by birth. You don't even believe it unless you want to state all children dying before the age of two or three go straight to hell, which they would have to since they were born in sin and had not accepted Christ as Savior.

If they don't they aren't "born" in sin. And that in itself goes to the nature of Jesus' birth. The entire idea of sin coming through "birthing" reflects that the sin must come through the woman. You know Eve was the first to sin and God told her that she as a woman would bear her children in travail. I guess the travail part is the passing of sin from the woman to her child who is going straight to hell if he/she dies in the birthing process.

Now you are welcome to give me the age of accountability nonsense but you cannot biblically support it---- or maybe you can---you've certainly proven resilent in other posts of stretching scripture to explain non-scriptural concepts (please challenge me to prove it).

Old 03-21-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I will reply as I see fit. I asked him a question and he can answer for himself. Your approval is not required.
I agree, Mike. I don't think your response was smarmy. Your questions are quite legitimate concerning this matter of the virgin birth. I will never believe that Jesus had a human, sinful, biological father. If he did, then he would not be God's Only Begotten Son through whom all things are created. He is highly exalted above all. He has the preeminence in all things and is the very high priest who make intercession for us before God. I do not think that should be brushed aside or forgotten.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 PM

I think I just got sifted into the fundamentalist side of the isle. I do not take it lightly that anyone would come along and make Jesus no better than a lost sinner. Sorry - I don't buy that.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I agree, Mike. I don't think your response was smarmy. Your questions are quite legitimate concerning this matter of the virgin birth. I will never believe that Jesus had a human, sinful, biological father. If he did, then he would not be God's Only Begotten Son through whom all things are created. He is highly exalted above all. He has the preeminence in all things and is the very high priest who make intercession for us before God. I do not think that should be brushed aside or forgotten.
Do you, as well, believe infants die in sin and go to hell? If they do not, at what point biblically does that xx chromosome take over?

Old 03-21-2015, 03:53 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
I do believe this, Mike that the sin nature is passed down through the male xx chromosome. I do not believe that Jesus had a biological father. But it is interesting to discuss. So you can count me in to those who believe that Mary did literally conceive of a human child via the over-shadowing of the Holy Spirit.
I don't know whether to believe in the literal virgin birth or not. I lean toward it because I believe Jesus was the Son of God. However, once I learned of other supposed virgin births from other cultural sources, it did make me wonder if it was an add-on. In the end, it doesn't really matter to my faith one way or another.

This is the first I've heard of the idea that a sin nature is passed through male chromosomes, though.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-21-2015 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Do you, as well, believe infants die in sin and go to hell? If they do not, at what point biblically does that xx chromosome take over?
No, of course not. They are born in hell (this earthly realm/ GRAVE) and when they die they go to paradise. What has that got to do with Jesus being conceived by the Holy Spirit?

Old 03-21-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know whether to believe in the literal virgin birth or not.I lean toward it because I believe Jesus was the Son of God. However, once I learned of other supposed virgin births from other cultural sources, it did make me wonder if it was an add-on. In the end, it doesn't really matter to my faith one way or another.

This is the first I've heard of the idea that a sin nature is passed through male chromosomes, though.
I think there are some places in the bible that make it clear that the sin nature is passed down through the male. And seeing how wicked so many males are, I am not surprised by it. Sorry guys, but I do think men are more sinful than women, generally.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:09 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Virgin birth of Jesus

This one appears to have been an early perception intended originally to increase the "stature" of the man as opposed to the message, and is clearly a part of the transformation of "the Way," or the relationship with God and man taught by Jesus, into a religion that could be administered by self-appointed "priests."

It stems from a transformation of "young woman" into "virgin" and seems to have been at least in part a nod to the "goddess" religions of the time (See Graves The White Goddess).

A later use of the idea appears to have been to strengthen the perception of Jesus as "the perfect sacrifice" in the barbaric "substitution atonement" theory that will be covered in later threads.
Quote:
So you're saying that Mary lied when she said she was a virgin?
Luke 1:34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin?"
And that the angel lied?
Luke 1:35 And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.
Quote:
I will reply as I see fit. I asked him a question and he can answer for himself. Your approval is not required.
Quote:
His question that I called "smarmy" was "So you're saying that Mary lied when she said she was a virgin?"

I'm sorry, but I continue to disagree that this was a legitimate question but rather was put out there to denigrate the OP and sideline the discussion.

"You sayin' Jesus can't hit a curve ball?" from Major League came to mind, actually.

Your statement above, Heartsong, yes, is part of the conversation.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No, of course not. They are born in hell (this earthly realm/ GRAVE) and when they die they go to paradise. What has that got to do with Jesus being conceived by the Holy Spirit?
Biblically they are born into "hell?" Well, aren't we discussing whether Christ's birth is by a virgin? If He is sinless because sin is in the XX chromosome then biblically show me where the Bible specifically states all sin comes from the father. I don't need that worn verse about "the sins of the fathers will be visited on the children." That doesn't preclude sins of mothers being visited on children.

If babies go to paradise when they die, they couldn't have "sin" in their lives---sinners go to someplace other than Heaven.

And finally, there are numerous virgin birth stories, some out of Egypt, that predate Christianity.

I am not arguing "against" the possibility of a virgin birth, I'm arguing against sufficient biblical authority to make that concept a requirement to be a Christian. And that is exactly what many fundamentalist groups require to accept another as a brother or sister in the faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity