Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What it is missing from, Finn, is a statement of the fundamentals of the Christian Faith as a conclusion of a conference of Christian ministers.
Maybe because the conference was not about specific teachings of Jesus Christ.

If you agree with Basis #1, then you'd agree with ALL teachings of Jesus Christ, including the one you mentioned, which happens to be an important one. If you reject Basis #1, then you reject all, or some of His teachings in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 09:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe because the conference was not about specific teachings of Jesus Christ.

If you agree with Basis #1, then you'd agree with ALL teachings of Jesus Christ, including the one you mentioned, which happens to be an important one.
Finn, that doesn't make a lick nof sense. If the purpose was not to present the basis or fundamentals of the faith, then why say it is?

Is the Golden Rule fundamental to the Christian Faith, Finn?

Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Finn, that doesn't make a lick nof sense. If the purpose was not to present the basis or fundamentals of the faith, then why say it is?

Is the Golden Rule fundamental to the Christian Faith, Finn?
Yes, it is, but the topic of the class seems clear and well defined to me. I am surprised it is not to you. Having another class on fundamental teachings of Jesus Christ makes sense only of you accept those teachings (basis #1) in the first place. First you establish whether or not you trust the book you are about to study, and then you study it.

You do not trust the Bible, but at the same time you declare one of those Bible verses is the foundation of your faith.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is, but the topic of the class seems clear and well defined to me. I am surprised it is not to you. Having another class on fundamental teachings of Jesus Christ makes sense only of you accept those teachings (basis #1) in the first place. First you establish whether or not you trust the book you are about to study, and then you study it.

You do not trust the Bible, but at the same time you declare one of those Bible verses is the foundation of your faith.
It isn't about the BOOK, Finn, it is about fundamentals of the FAITH, and "inerrancy" was only ONE of the "fundamentals" they came up with. They did NOT come up with the Golden Rule as a fundamental.

One more time, Finn, the Bible will have truth in it, but that truth must be confirmed by the Spirit, not the other way around.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:08 AM

33,332 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
That is why the description of your post is placed in brackets, Mike555, so that people would know that it is only a description of your post.

Fine, you addressed the comments about the non-essentials that were included and which have been covered in detail in their individual threads. Did you have anything substantive to say about what was NOT included? Something that is not merely a rant about the other "fundamentals" rather than addressing the real concern?
I addressed the real concern which is your comment, - ''As far as I am concerned there is ample indication that none of them is essential for a Christian to believe in order to follow Christ.''

No, you cannot be a true follower of Christ when you deny what has been written about Him such as His virgin birth and resurrection. And with that, I leave you to your attacks on the Christian faith and on the Word of God.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It isn't about the BOOK, Finn, it is about fundamentals of the FAITH, and "inerrancy" was only ONE of the "fundamentals" they came up with. They did NOT come up with the Golden Rule as a fundamental.
Inerrancy of the Bible is not about the Bible? Of course it is, and you quoted it saying the verse you liked is fundamental to your faith?

Quote:
One more time, Finn, the Bible will have truth in it, but that truth must be confirmed by the Spirit, not the other way around
Yes, I told you we have the spirit and the book, and I told it to mystic seven times (somehow he still insists I believe something else). We have been given both, the living and the written word, and we can use them together because they do not contradict each other. If they do, then its strange no one can show how.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Inerrancy of the Bible is not about the Bible? Of course it is, and you quoted it saying the verse you liked is fundamental to your faith?
No, Finn, the statement about fundamentals of the Faith is not about the book, it is about the Faith. Read the title again, just to be sure.
Quote:
Yes, I told you we have the spirit and the book, and I told it to mystic seven times (somehow he still insists I believe something else). We have been given both, the living and the written word, and we can use them together because they do not contradict each other. If they do, then its strange no one can show how.
And the point once again, Finn, is that they DO contradict each other, and WHEN they do you claim that the Bible is the authority.

That's what it is all about, Finn. Which is primary?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I addressed the real concern which is your comment, - ''As far as I am concerned there is ample indication that none of them is essential for a Christian to believe in order to follow Christ.''

No, you cannot be a true follower of Christ when you deny what has been written about Him such as His virgin birth and resurrection. And with that, I leave you to your attacks on the Christian faith and on the Word of God.
Mike, the REAL concern is why the conference people would not have included "the New Commandment" or "the Golden Rule" in their list of the fundamentals of the faith. The other concerns as I mentioned once before are covered in their threads. YOUR "real concern" is not cogent here, so kindly either address the topic or desist from trolling.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
No, Finn, the statement about fundamentals of the Faith is not about the book, it is about the Faith. Read the title again, just to be sure.

And the point once again, Finn, is that they DO contradict each other, and WHEN they do you claim that the Bible is the authority.

That's what it is all about, Finn. Which is primary?
Basis #1 (Bible inerrancy) is not about the Bible? I made it clear I was referring to Basis #1.

Thanks for sharing your view.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Basis #1 (Bible inerrancy) is not about the Bible?

Thanks for sharing your view.
Draw a Venn diagram, Finn. the big circle is "fundamentals of the Faith" and one of the little circles contained completely within the big circle is "inerrancy." This is about the BIG circle, Finn, and why "the Golden Rule" is NOT one of the little circles in that big circle.

Are you with me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity