Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 09:46 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,408,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I know, I do too. Major difficulty. With that said, I can't help but think that in this time and in this era... there are just far too many people who ARE evolved that the ignorant people will soon be pushed out/left behind.
Not everywhere.

Quote:
I'm just thinking it should happen naturally, even if means unfortunate things will happen to people. It's hard to say that, but again, the whole "force" thing just doesn't seem productive. Maybe on some sort of shallow surface level, but deep down, it will breed hatred and obstinance. I'd rather people say "you know what I'm not going to give you my business because you refuse to serve a gay person" and other people follow suit as it dictates to THEIR conscience and allow things to progress "naturally" for lack of a better word, even if it means on the surface, things may SEEM to go backward. I hope that makes sense. (Whoa! sorry for the major run-on sentence.) Again, I really am just thinking out loud. Still pondering.
But is it right to expect the people who would bear the brunt of things going backwards to do so? That's going to breed hate too, right?

Not arguing with you, just sharing my reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:46 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,938,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I believe we are called to "serve everyone."
For me, there isn't much of a debate.

What I am witnessing merely amounts to Religiousness.
It has nothing to do with loving that of others?

Reminds me of this verse:

Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not cast out demons.'

For me there is no debate in that either. Trust me.
However, that's the thing... who is "we"?
Each person must speak for theirselves. I am a me. Not a we.
I am not lumped in with this christian pizza lady. She is her own person, as am I.
I don't share her particular beliefs.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,938,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

But is it right to expect the people who would bear the brunt of things going backwards to do so? That's going to breed hate too, right?

Not arguing with you, just sharing my reaction.

We all bear the brunt of things everyday. It's the nature of this life. If a business owner refused to serve someone, others who let their conscience be their guide, would bear the brunt as well because they would have to go somewhere else, as well. If "people in group A" are not being served by pizza lady. Well, say "Hey, people are not group a or group b, people are just people... if you won't serve people you deem to be in "group a" well, you will not serve me either... you will not get my money." And so awareness for what is "RIGHT" grows. When you FORCE someone to do something.... that's entirely different than making the CHOICE to do something, or not do something. FORCE is what truly breeds hatred and division. It always has. All throughout history. Freedom and liberty are what really unites people, if only people understood the principles.

Again, the more people stand up for what is right, and allow their conscience to be their guide, the more the ignorant among us will be left behind. It's a process. Bring awareness. Try to unite, instead of furthering the divide. You deal with the ignorance and try to educate. But you cannot change hearts by FORCING someone to do something. It never, ever works.

I'm tired so I really hope this is making some sort of sense.

Still pondering.
peace guys,
sparrow

Old 04-03-2015, 10:23 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A pizzeria owner in Indiana, one who serves straights and gays without question, was asked by the news media if she would cater a gay wedding if asked to cater one. The owner said no because it would violate her beliefs.

Suddenly the threats rolled in. The activists threatened to burn her pizzeria to the ground. The owner closed her business out of fear. She's now in hiding because the threats didn't stop.

She didn't refuse to serve homosexual.
She hasn't attacked the homosexual.
She hasn't refused to hire homosexual.
She expressed her opinion, and now she fears for her life and business.
In America.

Read it and weep. Memories Pizza Doesn’t Know If They Will Re-Open « CBS Cleveland
I believe in personal choices and personal rights.

This woman has the right to refuse to do a ceremony. It's her money, and her customers.

She cannot however refuse to serve customers (this would interfere in the rights of OTHERS), nor discriminate in hiring, nor anything else. LGBT are humans and have human rights. We cannot do Straight Only restaurants.

All the same, this sounds like a very biased story. There is another side.

Virginia anti-gay bill would let schools and hospitals turn gays away.

Shouldn't have this happen either.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 PM

440 posts, read 378,483 times
This is a great opportunity for those people who have bakeries and who are accepting of LGBT people to spread the voice they happily serve LGBT people.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And Jesus asked: What did you do while I was gone?

"I gave money to a guy in Indiana who made pizza. Well, he made pizza for everyone but the gays."

He wouldn't serve gays?

"Nope. He was a Christian."

Are you sure?

"Oh yeah. It was on TV. A whole bunch of us gave him money because he didn't want to sin."

Serving them pizza was a sin?

"Sure! If it's for a wedding reception. See.... you can serve them if they just come in for a slice and a Coke. But if you serve them at a wedding reception.... that's a sin."

I was at a wedding reception once. I turned water into wine.

"Well, if were any gays there that would be a sin."

I didn't ask.
Love the conversation, I can see this taking place in fundie houses across America this weekend.

But of course, we must tell Jesus what sin is because He is so...clueless?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:52 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,064,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Look at all the places that say no shoes, no shirt, no service. Wow what discrimination.
Yea!...Violating my right to walk around barefooted and topless...

Old 04-05-2015, 09:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Let's change this up a bit.

Let's say that a Westboro Church member goes to a gay baker and asks for a cake to commemorate the birth of their church. The baker is highly offended by that request. Should he be forced to make the cake? Keep in mind that the only reason the church member is going to that gay baker in the first place is to cause him grief.
There actually was an experiment where someone walked into a bakery owned by gays and ordered a cake which said gay marriage is wrong. They refused to bake it. Discrimination? Nah, I don't think anyone should be forced to prepare food for someone if they don't want to.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,255,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
If this is true: "The activists threatened to burn her pizzeria to the ground."...

then that is completely outrageous, and ALL people (gay, straight, purple, short, tall, brown haired, yellow haired, what have you) should be condoning THAT. A threat of VIOLENCE should never be made against someone for expressing their opinion.

To me, THAT is the real problem. NOT her opinion on gay marriage.
I agree, but everyone who makes the headlines get death threats. Planed Parent Hood gets them often.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,255,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
But I think this is going to open the doors for the LGBT Mafia to go from business to business seeing if they will cater a gay wedding and when they say no, they will call the news media and try to sue and have the place shut down afterwards.
I'm gay, can you tell me how I can join the "LGBT Mafia"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity