Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 01:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Pleroo & nateswift = everyone has the spirit of God

justitans = only believers receive the Holy Spirit, everyone has the same access to it though
Not precisely for me. The Spirit is prompting everyone, not everyone has a relationship with that Spirit, a commitment to the things of the Spirit. Nearly everyone will respond to promptings of the Spirit according to their nature at times, but not everyone gives themselves to that wholeheartedly. Learning the name of Jesus is not a prerequisite for that commitment, however, and there are some who have done so prominently.

Thank you Heartsong for the reference to John 1:9 (and Matt 6:23)that perfectly illustrates this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
How is it then, the Christ is the light that GIVES LIGHT TO EVERY MAN WHO COMES INTO THE WORLD? Have you ever really considered that scripture? It sounds very universal to me. Also, if the light that is in you is darkness, i.e. what you believe is completely wrong, "How GREAT is that darkness!".

Last edited by nateswift; 04-14-2015 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: additional information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 01:20 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:
No I said okay because I'm ready to move on. I don't agree with your assessment and I'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise. I'm asking that we please stop this conversation.
You obviously may respond or not, as you please.

I'm going to point out that the fact that you do not wish to continue the conversation is indicative of the possibility that you realize that believing Christians have the corner market on the spirit of God and that everyone but Christians is spiritually dead doesn't. add. up.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:31 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
No I said okay because I'm ready to move on. I don't agree with your assessment and I'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise. I'm asking that we please stop this conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm going to point out that the fact that you do not wish to continue the conversation is indicative of the possibility that you realize that believing Christians have the corner market on the spirit of God and that everyone but Christians is spiritually dead doesn't. add. up.
You more than most, Pleroo understand the fear and angst that accompanies having those foundational beliefs and assurances undercut. Avoidance is not that unusual a response to such negative stimulus. If only he realized the fear is completely unnecessary and actually counter to what our loving God wants from us. Love conquers all.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:33 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,006,245 times
Quote:

Again I don't agree with you that's why I'm done talking about it. Once again, you are showing that you have control issues. You can't accept when someone doesn't want to respond to you about this topic. We can talk about anything else, but I'm not interested in arguing about the same thing over and over again.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:39 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,006,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
How is it then, the Christ is the light that GIVES LIGHT TO EVERY MAN WHO COMES INTO THE WORLD? Have you ever really considered that scripture? It sounds very universal to me. Also, if the light that is in you is darkness, i.e. what you believe is completely wrong, "How GREAT is that darkness!".
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Not precisely for me. The Spirit is prompting everyone, not everyone has a relationship with that Spirit, a commitment to the things of the Spirit. Nearly everyone will respond to promptings of the Spirit according to their nature at times, but not everyone gives themselves to that wholeheartedly. Learning the name of Jesus is not a prerequisite for that commitment, however, and there are some who have done so prominently.

Thank you Heartsong for the reference to John 1:9 (and Matt 6:23)that perfectly illustrates this:
That's actually not what that scripture is talking about at all. The "true light" is Jesus and when it says he gives light to everyone, it is referring to the gospel, which means everyone will have the opportunity to receive the gospel. Everyone.

The next 3 verses show that both of you are taking this verse out of context:

Quote:
10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Notice in verse 12 it states "to all who did receive him". Notice it doesn't say everyone. Everyone will hear the gospel but not everyone will believe it.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

I agree with what you're saying here for the most part. Not to be argumentative, but I think it's rare to find (like, perhaps never?) a person who is WHOLE-heartedly committed to anything. The nature of our reality is that we're pulled in many different directions by many different things, within and without. So, the level of commitment, as I see it, will vary within an individual throughout their life.

But, that there are varying degrees of commitment from person to person, I agree. And some people experience a great deal of mistreatment and suffering and teaching in their lives which would surely make it all the more difficult to commit to a God that might seem, at best, absent or indifferent or perhaps angry and vengeful. But even they, or those who intellectually have no belief in the existence of a God, may still be committed to the things that are of the spirit of a God who is love.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Quote:
Everyone will hear the gospel but not everyone will believe it.
And how does "everyone" hear the gospel?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,993,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
...So we are told.

But we believe....

Biblical inspiration and the inerrancy of scripture as a result of this
Virgin birth of Jesus
Belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin
Bodily resurrection of Jesus
Historical reality of the miracles of Jesus

I'm proud to be a fundy! Keep hating me haters!
Hate you? I don't even know you, thus, I have no opinion about you one way or another. Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Again I don't agree with you that's why I'm done talking about it. Once again, you are showing that you have control issues. You can't accept when someone doesn't want to respond to you about this topic. We can talk about anything else, but I'm not interested in arguing about the same thing over and over again.

Yes, yes ... I'm controlling you by pointing out that you not wanting to respond could be indicative of the fact that you can't explain why your belief system is inconsistent with the reality that one can observe around them.

Pleroo, the puppet master

Old 04-14-2015, 02:04 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,626,305 times
Quote:
Yes, yes ... I'm controlling you by pointing out that you not wanting to respond could be indicative of the fact that you can't explain why your belief system is inconsistent with the reality that one can observe around them.

Pleroo, the puppet master
LOL Don't forget special, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity