Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
OK, you do not believe Faith in Christ is necessary, That explains a lot.

Oh, your last scripture shows action as you gotta "come" not just say you want it. Guess you missed that?
How on earth did you get the impression that I believe faith in Christ is not necessary when everything I have been saying pertains to the fact that faith in Christ is the only way of obtaining eternal life? There is no meritorious action or work that can be done for eternal life. A person comes to Christ by simply trusting in Him.

Last edited by Michael Way; 04-13-2015 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 06:35 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
How on earth did you get the impression that I believe faith in Christ is not necessary when everything I have been saying pertains to the fact that faith in Christ is the only way of obtaining eternal life? There is no meritorious action or work that can be done for eternal life. A person comes to Christ by simply trusting in Him.
The son of man describes faith in Him as doing the works He did.

"The man who believes in me shall do the works I do"

Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Ok, then your faith must be a living not a dead faith and a living faith as works of faith, not of the Law. It isn't just I believe therefore I am saved.

Sob far we agree on #1 and#2. That just leaves #3 which tells us what kind of faith we must have.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Ok, then your faith must be a living not a dead faith and a living faith as works of faith, not of the Law. It isn't just I believe therefore I am saved.

Sob far we agree on #1 and#2. That just leaves #3 which tells us what kind of faith we must have.
No. As I explained in post #12, the dead faith of which James spoke had nothing to do with eternal salvation.

Eternal salvation is strictly a matter of believing, trusting, having confidence in Christ Jesus alone, who is the one who gives eternal life. He did everything that was necessary to make eternal salvation possible as He hung on that Cross and was judged for our sins. Then He dismissed His spirit into the hands of the Father and died physically. And then He rose again. And He gives eternal life to those who simply trust in Him to provide it. That's what it means to believe on Him.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,737 times
Quote:
No. As I explained in post #12, the dead faith of which James spoke had nothing to do with eternal salvation.

Eternal salvation is strictly a matter of believing, trusting, having confidence in Christ Jesus alone, who is the one who gives eternal life. He did everything that was necessary to make eternal salvation possible as He hung on that Cross and was judged for our sins. Then He dismissed His spirit into the hands of the Father and died physically. And then He rose again. And He gives eternal life to those who simply trust in Him to provide it. That's what it means to believe on Him.
Mike -
Jonathan Edwards, one of the key figures in the Great awaking of the 1700's wrote in his treatise on Religious Affections, "I am come now to the last distinguishing mark of holy affections that I shall mention.
XII. Gracious and holy affections have their exercise and fruit in Christian practice.—"
"From what has been said, it is manifest, that Christian practice, or a holy life, is a great and distinguishing sign of true and saving grace. This is very plain in 1 John 2:3: "Hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments."

"Christian practice is plainly spoken of in the word of God, as the main evidence of the truth of grace, not only to others, but to men's own consciences - the chief of all the marks of grace, the sign of signs, and evidence of evidences."
He goes on to say that this is not to contradict the precious doctrine of Salvation by the free gift of grace, that the importance of Christian practice is not that it is the price of salvation, but that it is the evidence that grace and faith are genuine.
Jesus said in Matt. 7:[16] Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
[19] Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire

If we do not keep the commandments of Christ, this is evidence that we do not truly love Him. John 14:[24] He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 04-13-2015 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Mike -
Jonathan Edwards, one of the key figures in the Great awaking of the 1700's wrot in his treatise on Religious Affections, "I am come now to the last distinguishing mark of holy affections that I shall mention.
XII. Gracious and holy affections have their exercise and fruit in Christian practice.—
From what has been said, it is manifest, that Christian practice, or a holy life, is a great and
distinguishing sign of true and saving grace.
"This is very plain in 1 John 2:3: "Hereby wedo know that we know him, if we keep his commandments."
"Christian practice is plainly spoken of in the word of God, as the mainevidence of the truth of grace, not only to others, but to men's own consciences - the chief of all the marks of grace, the sign of signs, and evidence of evidences."
He goes on to say that this is not to contradict the precious doctrine of Salvation by the free gift of grace, that the importance of Christian practice is not that it id not the price of salvation, but that it is the evidence that grace and faith are genuine.
Jesus said in Matt. 7:[16] Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

[19] Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire

Matt. 7:16, [16] Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
[19] Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."[/b]
Knowing Christ is a matter of spiritual growth.
2 Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
To receive the free gift of eternal life the only thing you need to know about Jesus is that He, the Son of God died on the cross for your sins and then rose again. And knowing that, to trust Him for eternal life.

Producing fruit, living a holy life, keeping the commandments of God, etc. are not requirements for receiving eternal life. The issue at hand is not providing evidence to other people by your works that you have been saved, but rather, the issue at hand is simply that in order to receive the free gift of eternal life one need only trust in Christ Jesus to provide that eternal life.

Here is one verse (there are others) which addresses the assurance of your salvation.
Eph. 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation-- having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
2 Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
To receive the free gift of eternal life the only thing you need to know about Jesus is that He, the Son of God died on the cross for your sins and then rose again. And knowing that, to trust Him for eternal life.

Producing fruit, living a holy life, keeping the commandments of God, etc. are not requirements for receiving eternal life. The issue at hand is not providing evidence to other people by your works that you have been saved, but rather, the issue at hand is simply that in order to receive the free gift of eternal life one need only trust in Christ Jesus to provide that eternal life.

Here is one verse (there are others) which addresses the assurance of your salvation.
Eph. 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation-- having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
The son of man reveals Himself to those who keep His commandments. Remain in His word and you will live.

"No one knows the son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the son and to whomever the son will reveal Him."

"If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you. My Father is glorified in your bearing much fruit and becoming my disciple."

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

"The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and my Father will love him and I will love him and reveal myself to him."

By the two previous verses you can conclude that to continue in His word is keeping His commandments since each verse says the truth will be revealed to the person who does it. So to be a true disciple is to bear fruit by using the words of the son of man and in so doing you will know the word of God and glorify Him.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 PM

The spirit of truth is sent by Jesus from the Father in the name of the son if you keep His commandments.

"If you love me you will keep my commandments and I will ask the Father and He will send you another advocate to be with you always"

"The spirit of truth whom the Father will send in my name, he will instruct you in everything and remind you of all that I told you."

Who does this??

Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
You people fret and worry too much.

Not to mention over-think.

Follow Bill & Ted: Be excellent to each other.

I would only add: And be kind to the planet.

We're all in this together.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:06 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,737 times
Quote:

Mike, a new believer CANNOT grow in knowledge and producing fruits of the Spirit until they commit to DO THE WILL OF GOD. Look at Acts 5:32 and see if it gives any other way to receive the Holy Ghost.
Best wishes as we seek to know and DO the will of God,
Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity