Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:37 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide in Christ View Post
It may be because messianics realize that the churches are corrupt. Why pay for a building for corrupt people to sit in and listen to corrupt messages? Better places to put your money to help others
If they thought their church is corrupt, then why do they keep going there?

I remember visiting a messianic Jewish church and their did tithe. Not only did they tithe, they made a show of it, where everyone dances their way to the front of the church to offer the tithe. It felt a little awkward, but it was tithing on steroids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 01:59 PM

23,139 posts, read 10,434,069 times
There are many types of Messianics, I am a Messianic but I know of know Messianic church that I agree with enough to attend.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,295 times
It isn't that messianics don't believe in tithing its that the old testaments version doesn't jive with the sequence or type of offering not withstanding who receives a the tithe. The church applies tithe as more
of a suggestion or method of giving and 10% seems sufficient to support local church expences . Of
more concernn than focusing on comparing messanics with mainstream church giving is that 40% of
the members give 90% of the church revenue. Again the the christian denominations or evangelicals
simply do not apply the biblical pattern of tithe giving ,but a abstract reasonable offering that fits the
church needs (missions especially then staff,mortgage, utilities, leadership, literature etc.)

Last edited by openmike; 04-19-2015 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 07:04 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I have attended churches where tithing was taught as a mandate, even where the quantity you gave was tracked and if your giving dropped was reason for counseling you.

I have also been in churches where the revenue flow was abused.

In the church that I grew-up in, in the 1980s there was a minor scandal, as their surplus revenue went to the denomination, where it was then sent to South American 'Contra fighters' to purchase weapons that were then used to slaughter missionaries [including priests and nuns].

With a business mind-set, there is a perceived 'need' for a mortgage and utilities, salaried staff and professional leadership.

Another church I was attending has had a long series of scandals. They had amassed two college campuses and a number of recreational facilities, but it has all been sold off now, to cover the costs of salaried leadership's sins. Their tithe revenue goes to court fees and settlements to cover for the wrong doing of leadership.

It can all start with fairly pure hearts, but as the money flows, ...

It is with good reason that Jesus warned us to avoid hireling leadership.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,417 times
Tithing is for no one that was done when there was a temple. There is no temple now. Although Abraham did tithe once prior to the temple. Funny that he gave the other 90% to the king of sodom.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Tithing is for no one that was done when there was a temple. There is no temple now.
There is no longer a Temple made with hands. There is a Godly Temple, however, all Christians are members of today's Temple.

We are the Temple.

Quote:
... Although Abraham did tithe once prior to the temple. Funny that he gave the other 90% to the king of sodom.
No. Abraham did not tithe to the Temple.

Abraham give the last remaining tenth of his spoils [tithe] to the 'King of Righteousness' [Or in Hebrew if you choose to keep the three words in uncil and pronounce them as if they were a single word, 'Melchizedek' ].

Abraham gave tithe to Melchizedek [the King of Righteousness].

Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 PM

329 posts, read 224,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I honestly don't know why Messianic Jews don't believe in tithing, or why most Christians do. I can tell you that it's not a New Testament concept, and that I have taught from the pulpit that we are not required to tithe.

This is correct, according to ChristConnection.net. http://www.christconnection.net/id2.html

Under the section regarding Tithing, ChristConnnection.net says the following:

Jewish people were the only ones ever required, under the Old Testament law, to bring [not pay] tithes to the STOREHOUSE (GRANARY) of the tabernacle or temple (Nehemiah 13:5; Malachi 3:10).

Old 04-23-2015, 06:35 AM

Tithe is from the harvest of the field, and flocks.

Some tithing focuses on specific crops, like the 'first fruits' [winter barley].

In Abraham's case this also included spoils of war. When he paid one-tenth of war spoils to Melchizedek [the 'King of Righteousness'].

Tithe is never from man's labor, or the work of hands, or salary.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
... Jewish people were the only ones ever required, under the Old Testament law, to bring [not pay] tithes to the STOREHOUSE (GRANARY) of the tabernacle or temple (Nehemiah 13:5; Malachi 3:10).
Often today hirelings purposefully confuse the act of bringing crops from the field into the granary, with paying cash from salaries into the bank account of a 'non-profit' business.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:23 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Most Messianic Jews or Hebrews ... dont believe in tithing which is a command in the Torah.
1. Jews tithe. It is basic to Judaism.
2. "Messianics" are not Jews. "Messianic" is a form of xstian outreach. It is funded and promoted and paid for by evangelical xstian organizations. It is a group of xstians calling themselves Jews. It is not recognized by any branch of Judaism whatsoever around the world.

Shalom. Be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity