Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We've been through this on numerous occasions already, haven't we, Vizio? And it doesn't matter how many times I have repeated myself, you simply refuse to believe me. CARM does explain Mormon doctrine accurately. It explains it in such a way that people like you, who want to believe that Mormonism is a non-Christian cult, will find their assumptions validated. CARM doesn't want people to understand what Mormons really believe. That's the bottom line.
Likewise, it doesn't matter how many LDS sources one quotes and refers to, if YOU say it doesn't reflect official LDS doctrine in your opinion, you get all worked up over it and say it's wrong.
Quote:
I just can't figure out why CARM feels it's necessary to try to tear other points of view down. If that's a necessary part of promoting your own position, your own position isn't very strong. Why can't CARM just present what it believes to be "true Christianity" instead of saying, in effect, "These groups don't quality and here's why." Slick must think people are really, really stupid and need to be corralled like mindless robots into "true Christianity."
That's what "apologetics" is--defending the faith and explaining why certain beliefs are heretical. Like it or not, there are a lot of Christians that are really really challenged when people knock on their door and tell them that there was a great apostasy, their church doesn't teach the truth, and that they should join the church of the nice young men at their doorstep.
Quote:
Go on any LDS site and all you'll find is a discussion of LDS doctrine. You won't find links to anti-Catholic, anti-Lutheran, Anti-Baptism or Anti-Jehovah's Witnesses information. I am seriously proud that that's not the case.
OK. If you say so. I'll remind you that your church's founder stated all other religions were apostate and that God told him to start a new one.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
And you "examine" what someone says by asking people who hate them if what they are saying is true? Do you seriously think that if a radical Muslim website tried to explain your beliefs, it would do so accurately?
Matt has stated many many times he does not hate mormons. I've heard him talk about inviting the missionaries in to dinner. He has invited them onto his radio show and treated them very well. He was not abused by a mormon, or mistreated in any way. There is no hatred there. You apparently have never heard him speak on the topic, because there really is no hatred.
Quote:
Absolutely nothing. CARM doesn't examine LDS doctrine. It invents it. Why is it that if you ask CARM what Mormons believe, you get one answer, and if you ask a Mormon what Mormons believe, you get a different answer? And it's not just Mormonism that CARM attacks; it's everybody who doesn't see the world through Matt Slick's eyes.
Can you give an example of something that he teaches on his site that is not true? You are making the claim that he is wrong....well, please give an example of a wrong statement.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Since you asked, this page: Teachings of Mormonism is full of half-truths, parodies and distortions. To begin with hardly any of what he says can be traced to official LDS sources of doctrine. But we've talked about that before, too, and either it just doesn't sink in or you don't really care to get your facts straight. If you want to talk about any of Matt Slick's specific claims, I would strongly suggest you do not use this particular thread to do so. I mean that.
Like what? Please give me a specific example.

As for not wanting to talk on this thread? Why? It's about CARM, and you are the one alleging that he teaches incorrectly about mormonism. You made the claim, now please back it up if you can.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
That is 100% accurate. They are looking for reasons to hate certain denominations (definitely not just Mormonism) and Matt Slick is providing them with exactly what it is they're looking for. People who want to justify their hatred will find an ally in Matt Slick.
I'm asking you to please provide a specific example of some teachings that he has given that is wrong.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Seeing as how I do not consider you a teacher.....I can't say I'm reading and pondering your posts.

I have, however, learned a great deal about the LDS faith from Katzpur. She's cleared up many misconceptions I had about her faith and is a wonderful teacher.
What makes her an authority on Mormonism, while Finn is not an authority on Christianity? What is the difference?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:57 AM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's a Christian discussion board, and they want to keep it that way by omitting alternate beliefs.
What's the point of discussion if everybody has exactly the same perspective? CARM is presuming to say who's "Christian" and who's not, based upon a Matt Slick's understanding of scripture. It's his website and so it's his right to do that, but it kind of reminds me of what education is like in fundamentalist Muslim societies. There is no room for a difference of opinion and no opportunity to hear any other Christian perspective.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I concur.

Katzpur and I are worlds apart on religious issues, but she deals with that with much more grace or style than I every will. I tend to be just a bit more blunt
Meaning that she doesn't call you out when you post some crazy, silly thing? You just like her more because she doesn't point out your errors in logic? Now, on a thread where people are attacking an apologetics site, those of us that actually call her out on her incorrect statements about it are considered mean.

Gotcha.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What you did say is that salvation is through faith, and any denomination not subscribing to that is not Christian.
No, I did not say that either. Seems you are looking to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
What's the point of discussion if everybody has exactly the same perspective? CARM is presuming to say who's "Christian" and who's not, based upon a Matt Slick's understanding of scripture. It's his website and so it's his right to do that, but it kind of reminds me of what education is like in fundamentalist Muslim societies. There is no room for a difference of opinion and no opportunity to hear any other Christian perspective.
So give us an example of some teaching about Mormonism that he has gotten wrong. I double-dog dare you.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Likewise, it doesn't matter how many LDS sources one quotes and refers to, if YOU say it doesn't reflect official LDS doctrine in your opinion, you get all worked up over it and say it's wrong.
Well of course I do. Don't you think I know what I hear taught in church, week in and week out? If I was hearing these things taught in church, I would certainly acknowledge them. And if you were looking for accurate information on Mormonism, you'd be looking at the official LDS website, not at CARM.

Just answer one question for me, Vizio... Why do you think CARM more accurately explains Mormon doctrine than the official LDS website does? That's all I want to know.

Quote:
I'll remind you that your church's founder stated all other religions were apostate and that God told him to start a new one.
You don't need to remind me of that. I'm perfectly aware of that fact. You, on the other hand, probably do need a reminder that 99% of all Christian denominations in the world today exist because, several centuries ago, a few brave men concluded that Catholicism had strayed from the teachings of Jesus Christ, and was therefore apostate. Your church is among that 99%. Everybody is an apostate to someone else. That doesn't mean we have to misrepresent one another's beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity