Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I was raised Catholic. I was baptized Catholic, had my first Communion, First Confessions, served as an altar boy, attended weekly, and was confirmed Catholic. Heck, I rememberI have an aunt that is a Nun. My grandmother taught in a Catholic school for decades. My dad was raised for 12 years of Catholic school.
Yes, we know that, but at times you have shown you do not know everything about the Catholic Church. You have adopted the same misconceptions common in fundamentalist churches.

You went through the motions as a child and teen, but you were never well immersed in Catholicism. And there is nothing wrong with that! We all know some folks are best served by the more emotional charismatic Sola Scriptura movement.

And I give you credit for trying to implement the Eucharist in your church even if the church members think it is boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times

The word 'transubstantiation' is made up of two parts:'trans' and 'substantiation.' The first part is a prefix that means 'across','beyond', or 'through'. It suggests that some kind of change has taken place.

The second part of the word, 'substantiation,' refers to thephilosophical term 'substance.' According to the Greek philosopher Aristotle,substance is a thing's deepest being, what it is in and of itself. Thesubstance of a thing is what it really and truly is beyond all appearances.Aristotle calls those appearances 'accidents.' An object's accidents are itsexternal characteristics, what we can see, smell, touch, taste, and hear. Thoseaccidents can help us identify and describe an object, but they do not necessarilycapture the inner essence of a thing, its substance.

In transubstantiation, then, the substance of the bread andwine changes into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. The accidents of thebread and wine, their taste, smell, and appearance, remain the same, but deepdown, the bread and wine no longer exist. They are completely Jesus Christ.

Source: Catholic Encyclopedia Edition 3; 1993
So yes to everyone. The bread and wine are changed completely into the body and blood of Christ. The appearance of bread and wine still exist as an "accident." There is no chemical change. No change in taste or texture. As I said, a mystery that requires faith to do what Jesus asked us to do.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
yes, it is a mystery and requires faith. But if you do believe and have faith and consider yourself Catholic, then you are literally eating and drinking Jesus' blood and flesh.

That sounds very weird to me.
Why is it so weird? It is what Jesus asked us to do.

17 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and said, “Take this and share it among yourselves;
18 for I tell you [that] from this time on I shall not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”
19 Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.”
20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you.

The apostiles immediately continued this request after His death and it continues to this day in the RCC.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
You really ought to study Catholic theology a bit more. Maybe take an RCIA refresher course. Catholics believe in Transubstantiation. That means that the host is supposed to have been changed entirely into the flesh and blood of Christ. No other substance is present.
You have corroborated your lack of knowledge regarding Catholicism Vizio. The flesh and blood are there, but all you see is bread and wine, it is supposed to be a mystery.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
We are told on these boards that a certain mormon on these boards knows more about Mormonism than anyone else because she's a Mormon.
Makes sense to me.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
yes, it is a mystery and requires faith. But if you do believe and have faith and consider yourself Catholic, then you are literally eating and drinking Jesus' blood and flesh.

That sounds very weird to me.
Are you trying to make sense of religion? Who would try such a thing?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamACatholic View Post
Some of our Catholic beliefs and practices seem at best weird or strange.

Are you up to asking us WHY we do "this" or believe "that"?

God Bless you,

Patrick
Thanks for starting this thread, Patrick. I'm curious about the incense. How did that come to be a part of mass?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The practices seem strange only to those that have a misconception of Catholicism. If they bothered to ask a a well educated Catholic they would feel differently.
People don't want to know the truth, Julian. It's really as simple as that. (I speak from experience. )

Old 04-29-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thanks for starting this thread, Patrick. I'm curious about the incense. How did that come to be a part of mass?
Good question! Incense is not only a Catholic ritual but just about every other religion uses some form of burning. It also dates as far back as 2000 BC with the Egyptians. In most religions, the smoke is a symbol of our prayers rising up to heaven or the gods of that particular religion. Also, it is a sort of purification. Smoke actually was used to clean the body when water wasn't available. Smoke kills bacteria and thus keeps smells down. Even today, outdoorsman will use smoke to deodorize if they are out in the wilderness for long periods of time. so to be able to use some sort of incense that smelled good was a way to cleanse.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You have corroborated your lack of knowledge regarding Catholicism Vizio. The flesh and blood are there, but all you see is bread and wine, it is supposed to be a mystery.
In your understanding, is there any bread or wine in the host?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity