Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 03:11 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
What will be the consequences of the SCOTUS changing the long held definition of marriage on our preachers? I may not be asking this question correctly, but hopefully, you will understand what I mean. Will ministers, preachers, etc. be forced to perform same sex marriages? Will churches lose their non profit tax status because they refuse to comply? What will happen to churches who refuse? I'm sure the Supreme Court Justices have asked themselves these questions. It will be interesting to see how they rule.

Please don't turn this thread into the right or wrong of same sex marriage or homosexuality. I'm just asking what you think the consequences will be if the Supreme Court redefines marriage.

No. Ministers will not be forced to perform gay marriages. ...

so calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 03:15 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Among farm animals, I haven't either except in the dozens of videos on the internet. Among dogs, quite frequently in both genders.

But I think from just a little reading about human psychology and reading most of your posts, I CAN recognize human latent homosexuality.

Had to rep you. I have five dogs and two cats. Three males four females. They are all neutered, but they are still interested in sex. With males females, canines and felines.

And it doesn't matter who is what.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:38 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
Will male teachers have to teach girls?
Will white waiters have to serve blacks?
Will Jewish bankers have to serve Christians?
Will NYC stockbrokers have to serve customers in Mobile Al?
Will garbage collectors have to collect stinky garbage?
Will attorneys have to defend the accused?
Will doctors have to treat old people?
Will ministers have to conduct legal marriages of their flock?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:24 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Had to rep you. I have five dogs and two cats. Three males four females. They are all neutered, but they are still interested in sex. With males females, canines and felines.

And it doesn't matter who is what.
It is not sex, it is domination/submission behavior, ie; pecking order re-enforcement.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:29 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
No more than a minister would be forced to marry me - a Jewish woman - or allow a Rabbi to perform the ceremony in his or her place of worship because I like it.

If said minister runs a business, such as a public wedding chapel, then yes, they would be required to marry a gay couple in the same way that they would be required to marry a Jewish one.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
It is not sex, it is domination/submission behavior, ie; pecking order re-enforcement.
Yes, exactly the sin of the men in Sodom. There was no way every man in the city was a homosexual. They turned down Lot's daughters in order to dominate the "strange flesh" of the angels visiting Lot.

But you night google the "ten gayest animals" to learn that some animals do form affectionate long term relationships that are more then sex. Indeed, the separate YouTube video that impressed me the most was of three male lions. The sex between two of them is in no way domination. It appears to be the same kind of affection, nipping and nuzzling that male lions use on lionesses.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Twin, this is why you are constantly failing to understand the message of Jesus. Read the Sermon on the Mount again. Remember that verse:

"You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye."

The verse continues the metaphor of a person with a plank in their own eye who criticizes someone for a speck in their own eye. Jesus argues that one must first remove the plank before going on to remove the speck. It makes clear that Jesus is not condemning mutual aid among his followers. If a problem is perceived with another, there is no harm in trying to aid the other person to rid themselves of it. Such aid should only be given, however, once one's own much larger problems are dealt with. Only then will you be able to truly see the actual problem with the other person, and be free to aid them. The verse is also clear that even while the plank is the major concern, the speck must also be dealt with. Perfection is the goal.

However, this runs counter to earlier verses condemning judgment, as it is only through judgment that one could become aware of others' flaws. The verse is meant ironically. It is impossible for one to ever completely clear away their own flaws, and thus the opportunity to begin judging others will never arise. Jesus' teaching is in the same spirit as the famous "He who is without sin" teaching of John 8:7. No one is ever without sin except Christ Himself.

The judgment you pass on others is nothing but judgment you bring on your own heart.
there is no such thing as one verse that "runs counter to earlier verses": .... that is an admission on your part that attempts to pit scripture against scripture aka "broken scriptures", which was not uncommon approach for the hypocrite that Jesus often encountered.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:47 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
there is no such thing as one verse that "runs counter to earlier verses": .... that is an admission on your part that attempts to pit scripture against scripture aka "broken scriptures", which was not uncommon approach for the hypocrite that Jesus often encountered.
Sorry Twin, but if you interpret it as pointed out then it explains the verse.

And I defy you to use only scripture to explain why God in that awful chapter eighteen of Leviticus (off the top of my head) states a man shall be cut off from his people if he marries his sister, but didn't condemn Abraham for that very action, or why it also states a man may not marry his wife's sister while she is alive, but doesn't condemn Jacob for marrying both Leah and Rachel.

No stories for explanation are acceptable as I'm sure you can do that solely with perfectly clear scripture verses.

Your whole religion revolves around making up stories to explain difficult passages for you while denying others the right to explain scriptures in their way.

It is the trademark of hypocritical Pharisees, not thoughtful truth seekers.

As I stated, the eye plucking statement was meant ironically. In that way the verses mesh with the earlier verses of "don't judge." Your way justifies your judging other people, something Jesus condemned roundly in the Pharisees of His day and would probably do so as well with 21st century Pharisees.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-03-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 02:52 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
This assertion flies in the face of reality and simply reflects the bias you have decided MUST be applied to conflicting notions in the Bible. It is DENIAL . . . and is a frequent accompaniment of those who would deceive themselves.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:35 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Sorry Twin, but if you interpret it as pointed out then it explains the verse.

And I defy you to use only scripture to explain why God in that awful chapter eighteen of Leviticus (off the top of my head) states a man shall be cut off from his people if he marries his sister, but didn't condemn Abraham for that very action, or why it also states a man may not marry his wife's sister while she is alive, but doesn't condemn Jacob for marrying both Leah and Rachel.

No stories for explanation are acceptable as I'm sure you can do that solely with perfectly clear scripture verses.

Your whole religion revolves around making up stories to explain difficult passages for you while denying others the right to explain scriptures in their way.

It is the trademark of hypocritical Pharisees, not thoughtful truth seekers.

As I stated, the eye plucking statement was meant ironically. In that way the verses mesh with the earlier verses of "don't judge." Your way justifies your judging other people, something Jesus condemned roundly in the Pharisees of His day and would probably do so as well with 21st century Pharisees.
Wait, let me run and get that MATTHEW HENRY commentary, that will explain EVERYTHING! Please hold..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity