Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:46 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,875 times

Advertisements

I have always heard that Christians/Catholics think that it is not a good idea, maybe even a sin, to try to contact spirits. I have read that they think when someone dies, and they say they are communicating with a deceased family member for instance, that it is really bad spirits pretending to be the dead relative and tricking you. I read that once a person dies they can not communicate with you, so not to believe these evil spirits who try to make you think otherwise. If a person dies and can not communicate with you like the Church claims, then what about these bad spirits who are supposedly tricking you into thinking you are communicating with your deceased relative/friends? How are they communicating with you then if dead people are supposedly not able to do that? Why would these evil spirits even do this and why would they do it especially when often it actually makes people feel better?

Also does the Bible say anything that would allude to the fact this kind of stuff is forbidden/a sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 08:47 PM

51 posts, read 73,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I have always heard that Christians/Catholics think that it is not a good idea, maybe even a sin, to try to contact spirits. I have read that they think when someone dies, and they say they are communicating with a deceased family member for instance, that it is really bad spirits pretending to be the dead relative and tricking you. I read that once a person dies they can not communicate with you, so not to believe these evil spirits who try to make you think otherwise. If a person dies and can not communicate with you like the Church claims, then what about these bad spirits who are supposedly tricking you into thinking you are communicating with your deceased relative/friends? How are they communicating with you then if dead people are supposedly not able to do that? Why would these evil spirits even do this and why would they do it especially when often it actually makes people feel better?

Also does the Bible say anything that would allude to the fact this kind of stuff is forbidden/a sin?

Communicating with the dead would be a supernatural experience which IMO cannot happen without the Hand of God. Humans are limited in what we can and cannot do. Simply calling upon the spirit of a deceased family member isn't going to make it appear or communicate. Often times what we think is communication really is no communication at all. But I suppose if an evil spirit was going to disguise itself as a deceased family member, that evil spirit would actually be a demon. It's all very questionable.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:00 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Some churches are just fine with drinking alcoholic beverages.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I have always heard that Christians/Catholics think that it is not a good idea, maybe even a sin, to try to contact spirits. I have read that they think when someone does, and they say they are communicating with a deceased family member for instance, that it is really bad spirits pretending to be the dead relative and tricking you. I read that once a person dies they can not communicate with you, so not to believe these evil spirits who try to make you think otherwise. If a person dies and can not communicate with you like the Church claims, then what about these bad spirits who are supposedly tricking you into thinking you are communicating with your deceased relative/friends? How are they communicating with you then if dead people are supposedly not able to do that? Why would these evil spirits even do this and why would they do it especially when often it actually makes people feel better?

I can't edit the original post but I misspelled something so am fixing now.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:10 AM

What the Catholic church has to say about ghosts:

Paranormal activity: Do Catholics believe in ghosts? | USCatholic.org

Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 AM

299 posts, read 263,730 times
Leviticus 19:31: "Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God."

Deuteronomy 18:10-12: "There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee."

Galatians 5:19-21: "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

Revelation 21:8: "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 AM

225 posts, read 161,972 times
Quote:
=ashleynj;39474180]I have always heard that Christians/Catholics think that it is not a good idea, maybe even a sin, to try to contact spirits. I have read that they think when someone dies, and they say they are communicating with a deceased family member for instance, that it is really bad spirits pretending to be the dead relative and tricking you. I read that once a person dies they can not communicate with you, so not to believe these evil spirits who try to make you think otherwise. If a person dies and can not communicate with you like the Church claims, then what about these bad spirits who are supposedly tricking you into thinking you are communicating with your deceased relative/friends? How are they communicating with you then if dead people are supposedly not able to do that? Why would these evil spirits even do this and why would they do it especially when often it actually makes people feel better?

My dear friend in Christ; you’re playing with “hell-fire” WHY?
Because the spiritual world on one hand contains God and His Heavenly host; and on the other hand Satan and his minions. Unless called by God and granted the necessary graces, mortal man is not equipped to know and to deal with these extremely powerful forces. What you’re asking is way beyond our means to control.

Allow me to share with you both teachings of our Catholic Church; the authority of this teaching and even an example of what the bible warns US about:

ACTS 20:28 “Take heed to yourselves, and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.”
The Authority, yes even the power to Teach Christ One True set of faith beliefs is clearly articulated in the bible.

Mt. 16:15-19 “16] Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. [17] And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. [18] And I say to THEE: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, [Singular] and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19]And I will give to YOU the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever YOU shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever YOU shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven”
In this context these powers to “bind and to loose” mean firstly the Powers of unlimited Governance of the Catholic Church Christ promises here to and later [Pentecost Sunday] did establish.

John 17:18-20 “[18] As thou hast sent me into the world, I also have sent THEM into the world. [19] And for THEM do I sanctify myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. [20] And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me” … Jesus here gives HIMSELF literally as the evidence; the proof of the Catholic Church teaching ONLY His Truth on ALL matters to be believed in faith and morals.

John 20:21-22 “[21] He said therefore to them again: Peace be to YOU As the Father hath sent me, I also YOU. [22] when he had said this, he breathed on THEM and he said to THEM: Receive ye the Holy Ghost”

Mt. 28: 16-20 “[16] And the eleven disciples [Apostles] went into Galilee, unto the mountain where Jesus had appointed them. … [19] Go therefore, teach YOU all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20]Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have [taught &] commanded YOU: and behold I am with YOU all days, even to the consummation of the world.”

ACTS 19:11-20 “[11] And God wrought by the hand of Paul more than common miracles. [12] So that even there were brought from his body to the sick, handkerchiefs and aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the wicked spirits went out of them. [13] Now some also of the Jewish exorcists who went about, attempted to invoke over them that had evil spirits, the name of the Lord Jesus, saying: I conjure you by Jesus, whom Paul preacheth. [14] And there were certain men, seven sons of Sceva, a Jew, a chief priest, that did this. [15] But the wicked spirit, answering, said to them: Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?

[16] And the man in whom the wicked spirit was, leaping upon them, and mastering them both, prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. [17] And this became known to all the Jews and the Gentiles that dwelt at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified. [18] And many of them that believed, came confessing and declaring their deeds. [19] And many of them who had followed curious arts, brought together their books, and burnt them before all; and counting the price of them, they found the money to be fifty thousand pieces of silver. [20] So mightily grew the word of God, and was confirmed. “

Eph. 6:12 “For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principalities and power, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high places.”
1 John 4: 1 “Dearly beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits if they be of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world”

www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=467

This is a site you need to check out from a Catholic Exorcist.

God Bless you, Patrick

Old 05-04-2015, 10:13 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,979 times
OTOH (and apologies if anyone else has already made this point), the Catholic Church (and likely the Orthodox as well) has no problems with people talking to/asking "spirits" (specifically of the holy angels of God (look up the prayer to "St. Michael the archangel" for example) and/or of the faithful departed---those who have left this world in the peace and fellowship of Christ) to pray WITH us and FOR us to God for our RIGHTEOUS needs and in my understanding this is the ONLY situation when trying to "communicate with spirits" is allowed or encouraged. this is part and parcel of the doctrine of the "communion of saints" which in the Catholic understanding unites ALL Christians through time and eternity together in a community of faith, hope, and love.

that said, trying to contact "spirits" of any sort with the idea that they have special powers of their own for the purpose of fortune telling, divination, or magic ("necromancy") has generally long been condemned by the Christian church.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 05-04-2015 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: more info.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Clergy has always frowned on competition.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:

Catholics use what is known to describe what is not known. They can't change their teachings on dime because of logistical reasons, but they do change. No catholic should ever apologize to bible thumpers. they should say "no, it's the bible literalist that have it wrong, not us.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity