Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,164,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That is OK, the Bible does not teach that, it is just a corrupt teaching of the weeds who Jesus said would infest the Church.
Annihilationism is also a fallacy, although it would be a bit more humane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,164,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I don't see how God could hate anyone...
Hate is a characteristic of the human nature, so is jealousy.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,838,709 times
You cannot humanize God, so that you can imagine how He is. He is as the scriptures speak. The scriptures reveal a God of great wrath over the evil and unbelief of the majority of the people in the world. So God's answer is that He loved the world and gave mankind Jesus Christ. IE, HIs love for the world is expressed in the gift of the Savior, Jesus Christ. But if people reject Jesus, they are left only with an angry judge. Plenty of texts to prove God's wrath and anger over sin. Destruction of Sodom and G. Destruction of Egypt. etc.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:54 AM

63,406 posts, read 39,657,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
NOT if you are Christian. The beliefs about God and His motives in the OT are under the veil of ignorance Christ came to lift. Christians should apply the TRUE NATURE of God revealed by Christ to ALL verses to eliminate the errors of ignorance that cover reading the OT. Unfortunately, religious leaders abdicated their responsibility to TEST the Spirit of everything against the Spirit of agape love who IS God. Instead, they retained our ignorant savage ancestors' corrupt and erroneous beliefs about the nature of God . . . ignoring the clear and unambiguous teachings and demonstration of God's TRUE NATURE by Christ. How can a God who IS love . . . ever NOT love anyone??? God is not just capable of love . . . He IS love as revealed UNAMBIGUOUSLY by Christ. "No greater love . . ." Your exclusivity and special pleading for yourself and those who believe as you do is nothing but human vanity and hubris, Vizio. God loves us ALL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I just can figure out what purpose will burning people serve? There is no end purpose. Just torment for eternity. That's cute.
None whatsoever . . . so it will never happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That is OK, the Bible does not teach that, it is just a corrupt teaching of the weeds who Jesus said would infest the Church.
Amen!
Quote:
I don't think there is a hell where a guy with a pitchfork watches over everyone as they burn and scream. I do think that it is possible one can be tormented after they die. I believe you create your own hell though. Of course it is also possible that after we die, that God does not allow anyone to torment themselves, and makes sure that every soul is healed.
Amen!
Quote:
I don't see how God could hate anyone...at all.
I thought God had unconditional love for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Hate is a characteristic of the human nature, so is jealousy.
Amen Jerwade. God has NONE of the human psychological weaknesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
You cannot humanize God, so that you can imagine how He is. He is as the scriptures speak. The scriptures reveal a God of great wrath over the evil and unbelief of the majority of the people in the world. So God's answer is that He loved the world and gave mankind Jesus Christ. IE, HIs love for the world is expressed in the gift of the Savior, Jesus Christ. But if people reject Jesus, they are left only with an angry judge. Plenty of texts to prove God's wrath and anger over sin. Destruction of Sodom and G. Destruction of Egypt. etc.
He is as CHRIST revealed Him to be . . . NOT how the OT scriptures portrayed Him under the veil of ignorance Christ came to lift. No one really loves a Godfather who demands it . . . OR ELSE!!! Only fear drives the pretense of love for such a vile and despicable tyrant who demands horrendous blood sacrifices to appease Him. The God of Jesus who IS agape love is our God . . . NOT the wrathful God of the Jews.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:23 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,049,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
None whatsoever . . . so it will never happen!
Amen!
Amen!

Amen Jerwade. God has NONE of the human psychological weaknesses.
He is as CHRIST revealed Him to be . . . NOT how the OT scriptures portrayed Him under the veil of ignorance Christ came to lift. No one really loves a Godfather who demands it . . . OR ELSE!!! Only fear drives the pretense of love for such a vile and despicable tyrant who demands horrendous blood sacrifices to appease Him. The God of Jesus who IS agape love is our God . . . NOT the wrathful God of the Jews.
I love to READ. There is so much knowledge and understanding in the written word! When we read with a critical mind, we are not REJECTING the writers' authority, we are questioning what it meant originally and how it applies to modern society.

Just as we do with this idea of everlasting torment, aka Hell.

Now there are people I will be greatly disappointed to see in the here-after, just as I am sure there will be some people I will not see..this is a reality I have to accept--but I do not get to decide either way...

But the idea that some will be suffering forever in some burning abyss because they did not follow the mind-think of some pop-culture theology that sez one must do these tasks to avoid this eternal torment is psychological torture in and of itself...

Just read a article by John O'Keefe (author of The Naked Jesus) titled--It's Not Turn or Burn, and it never was.

For those whose FAITH is strong and even for those who are looking for information to file on their own mental file cabinet for future thought, this is a short introduction to why Turn or Burn is the last thing Jesus intended.

The Jesus I know, and love, was not life condemning, he was life-giving. For me, I’ve always been attracted to the Jesus that told me God loves me, and wants me to walk a faith journey where God will guide me. Not a God who’ll push me around, harm me, judge me for every mistake I make, have made and will make. One who holds me when I’m tired, one who whispers in my ears when I’m challenged by live, and one willing to stand with me and support me through hard times of life.
John O'Keefe

Old 05-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 26 days ago)

20,363 posts, read 12,644,981 times
Quote:
Excellent answer!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,747,872 times
If we are God's children how could he ever punish his children in such a cruel way? Not only that, we are here to learn, we are not here to be perfect, right?

I used to know a woman who had an adult son that I thought was a horrible person. He had a drinking problem, he stole from his mother, he would come by her house and I would hear him yelling (she was my neighbor), etc. This woman always seemed to help him out, no matter what, and I never understood that. It actually made me mad he would treat her the way he did, she was such a nice lady. When she got sick and knew she was going to die she talked about how she would see her son again and was so happy (he died a couple of years before her). She had two other kids, who took care of her and did stuff for her, yet it was her son she seemed to worry about the most . I didn't understand how this woman could care and worry so much about her son who seemed to not care about her, and even took advantage of her. My mother told me that is what parents do and no matter what a child does, a parent will always love them. A parent might get mad at their kid, be disappointed, and even hurt by their kid's actions, but will always love that child and care about them.
Well, if that is true then wouldn't God be the same way?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,838,709 times
Now I finally know Mystics brain. He's a Marcionite. He thinks that the God of the OT is a different god than Jesus the Savior. But Jesus is God over all, He is also the God who speaks in the OT, and the God who comes to save in the NT. God is not divided. God is not at war with Himself. Besides, Jesus had plenty to say in the NT to show His wrath.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:15 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,049,636 times
Quote:
Nor can we scripturalize Him to be what men of the past wanted Him to be.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,084,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Maybe, you are loved-less, but not hated.
Because of your wickedness?
No. The word is "hate". If he "loved them less", then it would have said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity