Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:31 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times

Advertisements

Why would a Christian write BCE and CE, rather than BC and AD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 01:44 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Politically Correct revisionism that pervades academia.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Why does everyone expect christians to all be the same and think the same??

Old 06-16-2015, 04:40 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry, I haven't been participating in this book club of late, especially since I recommended it. I have been on the road for three weeks and just slammed with work. Glad you guys are enjoying it, though.
I'm just starting. Borrowed the book and EFM ends tomorrow for the season so I might find time. It's the book for next year (September).

Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The author is a biased heretic who pushes his anti-Catholic and anti-Davidic, anti-Divine agenda.
MacCulloch is a rabid homosexual activist. You will not get unbiased presentation or respect for
traditions of millenia in any of his deceitful screeds.
Good ol' Snowball. We can always rely on you for a balanced, reasoned questioning of the evidence for any proposition that cuts across your faith -based beliefs.

It has been increasingly accepted that the OT (I looked at it as compared with the Hebrew Pentateuch and the difference is really only in the ordering, so I am not bothered by the Jewish dislike of term 'OT') is pretty mythological up to probably David. Even Exodus, which I originally thought had some basis in fact (though heavily laced with bias) seems almost entirely made up - except possibly for one unrelated historical event - the expulsion of the Hyksos.

I am dubious myself about those early dates and I see reasons to put the writing of the first part of the Bible - the law and rites - as after the establishment of Israel in the 11th c BC and the 'History' (borrowing from Mesopotamian legend - Moses in the bulrushes is strikingly similar to the story of Sargon of Akkad) added later. The Jeremiad stuff clearly relates to the (7th c BC) problems with Assyria and eventually with the 2nd Babylonian empire, ending with the Exile. The oldest known Biblical writing is the 6th c BC 'silver scroll' with a prayer containing a a somewhat garbled reference to Numbers and Leviticus/Deuteronomy, as I recall.

Thereafter, we get the post-dated (what they get wrong gives the date they were written) prophecies of Babylon, Tyre and Daniel and that means that this was written around the 3rd -2nd centuries BC.

After that is the Maccabean revolt and then Herod and then we are in NT times.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-18-2015 at 03:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity