Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

I thought this was really interesting how this person, based upon seeing God is a proper light, is
beginning to come out of his agnosticism:
an e-mail from an agnostic « GoedBericht English

He was turned off by a God he originally thought God was like.
The more he looked, the better God looked.
What do you think about his experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 AM

I'm kind of curious why no one has commented on this person going from atheist to agnostic to a possible believer.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:46 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I'm kind of curious why no one has commented on this person going from atheist to agnostic to a possible believer.
Believer in what though? I read through it and apparently he is thinking of becoming a 'Christian lite'. This website he reads does nothing but promote a false doctrine. It boils down to this:

"I wanted to be a Christian, but I don't like the thought of Hell, so I'll just remove that bit and many other bits of God and be a follower of a god of my own creation."

Nothing more to see here...

Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Believer in what though? I read through it and apparently he is thinking of becoming a 'Christian lite'. This website he reads does nothing but promote a false doctrine. It boils down to this:

"I wanted to be a Christian, but I don't like the thought of Hell, so I'll just remove that bit and many other bits of God and be a follower of a god of my own creation."

Nothing more to see here...
Maybe one of the points is that the modern Christian concept of a "hell" is what causes people to blaspheme God and make it so they want to have nothing to do with such a being who would torture people in a hell for eternity?

If more people understood just how loving and FAIR God is, maybe they would drop their animosity toward God.

Also, I am curious why you called it "false doctrine" when God tells us to charge and teach that very doctrine (1 Tim.4:10,11)? Do you think God is telling us to charge and teach false doctrine?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I'll comment. I guess it is your site he is commenting on? And indeed a "God" that does not have a hell is a more sympathetic figure than the god of hellfire and heaven -promise.

I don't see good reason to believe, but if this chap does, I can understand why he can feel more sympathetic to this God than the one that the ET - merchants for instance, believe in.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
If He, as I got to know him, would exist, my only reason to believe would be dreadful fear. Fear of having to suffer forever.
This is at the very heart of the problem with Christianity.

Early church leaders saw how successful the Greeks had used threat of eternal damnation to keep their citizens in line so they decided to adopt the policy. They bludgeoned pagans with the fear of eternal torment if the pagans didn't join Christianity, and that's how the church grew so rapidly and so powerful once Constantine slaughtered all the competing religions.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
I was not aware that the ancient Greeks had a concept of eternal damnation. I thought the Christians invented that little gem.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:19 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,005 times
This thread will no doubt boil into yet another UR debate. *yawn*

In retrospect, I believe this was the intention of the OP, to prop up an example of an agnostic converting to Christianity because of a watered-down, 'warm-and-fuzzy' God that lacks righteousness, holiness and justice.

It is not fear that made me give my life to God, nor fear that makes me refrain from sin. It's love. I love God. I love that He sent His son to die for my sin. I don't fear hell because I know I deserve it. God saved me from a sentence I brought upon myself. I love God and worship Him because He is worthy of my praise and through Jesus He is worthy of my everlasting love and gratefulness.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
This thread will no doubt boil into yet another UR debate. *yawn*

In retrospect, I believe this was the intention of the OP, to prop up an example of an agnostic converting to Christianity because of a watered-down, 'warm-and-fuzzy' God that lacks righteousness, holiness and justice.
God would lack righteousness, holiness and justice if he meted out sentence of eternal hell fire and damnation to mankind because they were made sinners due to what Adam did (Romans 5:12, 18, 19).

Quote:
It is not fear that made me give my life to God, nor fear that makes me refrain from sin. It's love. I love God. I love that He sent His son to die for my sin. I don't fear hell because I know I deserve it. God saved me from a sentence I brought upon myself. I love God and worship Him because He is worthy of my praise and through Jesus He is worthy of my everlasting love and gratefulness.
God saved you from a sentence Adam brought upon the human race.

Because of Adam's one act, all mankind were made sinners and condemned (condemned not to eternal hell fire and damnation but condemned to death) (see Romans 5:12, 18,19).

The intention was to show that there are reasons why people such as the atheist/agnostic did not like the God of Christendom. Once he found out that that God is not like the God of the Scriptures, he found Him more loveable.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'll comment. I guess it is your site he is commenting on?
No, it's not my site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity