Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:22 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well, actually it is Christianity. Or it least it has been for well over 1000 years. Plenty of fire and brimstone is directly attributed to Jesus himself.

You mean like Jesus reportedly rebuking his disciples when they wanted to call down fire and brimstone to destroy the people of Jerusalem who rejected Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:40 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You mean like Jesus reportedly rebuking his disciples when they wanted to call down fire and brimstone to destroy the people of Jerusalem who rejected Jesus?
You were raised in the LCMS like I was. How can you not be familiar with all of the times Jesus preached about hell? He even went as far as saying we should mutilate ourselves in order to avoid hell. There's also the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. He also talks about how it will be worse than Sodom and Gomorrah for a town that rejects him (a direct contradiction to your example above).

Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You were raised in the LCMS like I was. How can you not be familiar with all of the times Jesus preached about hell? He even went as far as saying we should mutilate ourselves in order to avoid hell.
Actually to avoid the Valley of Gehenna (the garbage dump where dead bodies of criminals were thrown, not living beings). Why did the translators take a word that was obviously a real place and substitute the word hell? The word "hell" actually is Hades, and means the grave.

Quote:
There's also the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.
Yes, a parable ... a symbolic story that is obviously not literal.

Quote:
He also talks about how it will be worse than Sodom and Gomorrah for a town that rejects him (a direct contradiction to your example above).

Well, he didn't say it was about rejecting him but about not repenting. And he said the city would be cast down to hades (hell, the grave) after having been in heaven. Sounds metaphorical to me (unless you think that Capernaum was literally in heaven) -- you know, the idea that there are consequences for bad behavior. But I know you're still in the LCMS mindset of needing to take things very literally.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Maybe Jesus said that to the disciples because they were requesting something which Jesus only is given the authority to do and is more than capable without help.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Maybe Jesus said that to the disciples because they were requesting something which Jesus only is given the authority to do.

That's not how it's recorded in the bible, Twin. It says that Jesus rebuked them and said they didn't know what spirit they were of, for the Son of Man didn't come to destroy lives, but to save them.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM

I personally don't take any of it seriously. To me, most of it is nothing more than the ranting and raving of a religious fanatic.

It's not just the LCMS that takes those verses literally. Much of Christianity takes those passages literally. A literal hell is still a major doctrine in mainstream Christianity. And they teach that stuff to children.

Yes, some liberal denominations have (thankfully) found ways to "explain away" hell and turn it into a metaphor for X, Y, or Z.

Clearly the OP was raised in a denomination that teaches a literal hell.

My recommendation to the OP: don't worry about hell or trying to get into heaven. Neither place is real. Both were invented as a way to keep the masses under control and content with misery and injustice.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
You were raised in the LCMS like I was. How can you not be familiar with all of the times Jesus preached about hell? He even went as far as saying we should mutilate ourselves in order to avoid hell. There's also the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. He also talks about how it will be worse than Sodom and Gomorrah for a town that rejects him (a direct contradiction to your example above).

So, Jesus mentioned Gehenna in the sermon on the mount 3 times (Matt 5), once in Matt 10, and once in Matt 18. This is confirmed by Luke and Mark who record the same things. So, that's 5 times that Jesus mentions Gehenna (which the translators chose to change to "hell"). Does that seem like a lot to you?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I personally don't take any of it seriously. To me, most of it is nothing more than the ranting and raving of a religious fanatic.

It's not just the LCMS that takes those verses literally. Much of Christianity takes those passages literally. A literal hell is still a major doctrine in mainstream Christianity. And they teach that stuff to children.

Yes, some liberal denominations have (thankfully) found ways to "explain away" hell and turn it into a metaphor for X, Y, or Z.

Clearly the OP was raised in a denomination that teaches a literal hell.

My recommendation to the OP: don't worry about hell or trying to get into heaven. Neither place is real. Both were invented as a way to keep the masses under control and content with misery and injustice.
You say "thankfully", yet you argue with those who understand those passages in the non-literal way I believe they were intended, and seem to be very opposed to them doing so. Why is that?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
So, Jesus mentioned Gehenna in the sermon on the mount 3 times (Matt 5), once in Matt 10, and once in Matt 18. This is confirmed by Luke and Mark who record the same things. So, that's 5 times that Jesus mentions Gehenna (which the translators chose to change to "hell"). Does that seem like a lot to you?
Apparently it was enough times to make the doctrine of eternal punishment a significant part of Christianity for a long time. Revelation speaks of non-Christians being thrown into a "lake of fire" forever. The creeds speak of Jesus "descending into hell" and rising on the third day. Some churches talk about eternal punishment in their liturgies as you well know.

Again, I am aware that some modern Christian groups have done away with the doctrine of hell. All businesses must evolve to accommodate changing consumer tastes, so it is not surprising that some denominations have tried to make their doctrines more palatable.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,224 times
Quote:
Apparently it was enough times to make the doctrine of eternal punishment a significant part of Christianity for a long time. Revelation speaks of non-Christians being thrown into a "lake of fire" forever. The creeds speak of Jesus "descending into hell" and rising on the third day. Some churches talk about eternal punishment in their liturgies as you well know.

Again, I am aware that some modern Christian groups have done away with the doctrine of hell. All businesses must evolve to accommodate changing consumer tastes, so it is not surprising that some denominations have tried to make their doctrines more palatable.

You might want to let the person who started this post (WHO IS A BELIEVER AND IS SUFFERING) know that you are just an atheist who likes to hang out and confuse people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity