Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Just because what?
Just because someone tells you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
That's easy.

Matt. 26:28

This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. -Jesus

Matt. 20:28

The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. -Jesus

Isaiah 53

Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin.

The entire book of Hebrews

IN SHORT... What, EXACTLY does Gd say about human sacrifice in the Tanakh, the Hebrew Bible? In Deuteronomy 12:30-31, Gd calls human sacrifice something that He hates, and an abomination to Him, 'for every abomination to the Etrnl, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.' In Jeremiah 19:4-6, Gd tells us that human sacrifice is so horrible a concept to Him, that it did not even come into His mind to demand it from His creation, 'They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind.' We see the same thing in Psalm 106:37-38, and in Ezekiel 16:20. This teaches that Gd would not accept Jesus' death on the cross as a blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. The very idea of that Gd would accept a human sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins is unbiblical. - What Jews Believe: Essay #4: Gd Hates Human Sacrifice

IN SHORT... The Bible is clear, and it is consistent: one person cannot die for the sins of another. In other words, the sins committed by one person cannot be wiped out by the punishment given to another. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses asks Gd to punish him for the sin committed by the people in regards to the Golden Calf. Gd tells Moses that the person who committed the sin is the one who must receive the punishment. Then, in Deuteronomy 24:16, Gd simply states this as a basic principle, 'Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.' This concept is repeated in the Prophets, in Ezekiel 18: 'The soul that sinneth, it shall die... the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.' The prophet Jeremiah looks to the day when the mistaken belief that one man's death atones for another man's sins shall no longer be held by anyone: in Jeremiah 31:29-30, the prophet says: 'In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.' - What Jews Believe: Essay #1: No Vicarious Atonement

Go to theses pages and read the fuller analysis and THEN tell me how that squares with Jesus dying for the sins of another but ALSO being a HUMAN SACRIFICE...

Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
That's easy.
I doubt that it is...

Quote:
Isaiah 53

Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin.
Do you mean this Isaiah 53:

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to crush him by disease; to see if his soul would offer itself in restitution, that he might see his seed, prolong his days, and that the purpose of the LORD might prosper by his hand:

- Isaiah 53 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

or this one with Rashi commentary:

10And the Lord wished to crush him, He made him ill; if his soul makes itself restitution, he shall see children, he shall prolong his days, and God's purpose shall prosper in his hand.

And the Lord wished to crush him, He made him ill: The Holy One, blessed be He, wished to crush him and to cause him to repent; therefore, he made him ill.

(When did Jesus ever have to repent?)

If his soul makes itself restitution, etc.: Said the Holy One, blessed be He, “I will see, if his soul will be given and delivered with My holiness to return it to Me as restitution for all that he betrayed Me, I will pay him his recompense, and he will see children, etc.” This word אָשָׁם is an expression of ransom that one gives to the one against when he sinned, amende in O.F., to free from faults, similar to the matter mentioned in the episode of the Philistines (I Sam. 6:3), “Do not send it away empty, but you shall send back with it a guilt offering (אָשָׁם).”

(When did Jesus ever betray G-d?...When did Jesus ever see children (seed)?)
Quote:
The entire book of Hebrews
Don't know what this has to do with anything....

Old 05-29-2015, 08:44 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Just because someone tells you...
Give me a break!

I'm an educated adult who can read and understand. I don't believe something just because I was told.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
IN SHORT... What, EXACTLY does Gd say about human sacrifice in the Tanakh, the Hebrew Bible? In Deuteronomy 12:30-31, Gd calls human sacrifice something that He hates, and an abomination to Him, 'for every abomination to the Etrnl, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.' In Jeremiah 19:4-6, Gd tells us that human sacrifice is so horrible a concept to Him, that it did not even come into His mind to demand it from His creation, 'They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind.' We see the same thing in Psalm 106:37-38, and in Ezekiel 16:20. This teaches that Gd would not accept Jesus' death on the cross as a blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. The very idea of that Gd would accept a human sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins is unbiblical. - What Jews Believe: Essay #4: Gd Hates Human Sacrifice

IN SHORT... The Bible is clear, and it is consistent: one person cannot die for the sins of another. In other words, the sins committed by one person cannot be wiped out by the punishment given to another. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses asks Gd to punish him for the sin committed by the people in regards to the Golden Calf. Gd tells Moses that the person who committed the sin is the one who must receive the punishment. Then, in Deuteronomy 24:16, Gd simply states this as a basic principle, 'Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.' This concept is repeated in the Prophets, in Ezekiel 18: 'The soul that sinneth, it shall die... the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.' The prophet Jeremiah looks to the day when the mistaken belief that one man's death atones for another man's sins shall no longer be held by anyone: in Jeremiah 31:29-30, the prophet says: 'In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.' - What Jews Believe: Essay #1: No Vicarious Atonement

Go to theses pages and read the fuller analysis and THEN tell me how that squares with Jesus dying for the sins of another but ALSO being a HUMAN SACRIFICE...
I've already answered your question. Why do you ignore the words of Jesus Himself?

Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I've already answered your question. Why do you ignore the words of Jesus Himself?
You did not answer my question thoughtfully, Jimmy...You answered it in parrot fashion...I'd like to see you use the TNK and dig deep and try to make sense of the fact that the TNK says that G-d abhors Human Sacrifice, which is what Jesus is, and G-d says that each man shall die for his own sin, that no one else may take his place...The one who sins against G-d is the one who is punished, not someone else...

Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
You did not answer my question thoughtfully, Jimmy...You answered it in parrot fashion...I'd like to see you use the TNK and dig deep and try to make sense of the fact that the TNK says that G-d abhors Human Sacrifice, which is what Jesus is, and G-d says that each man shall die for his own sin, that no one else may take his place...The one who sins against G-d is the one who is punished, not someone else...
I would like for you to explain to me why Jesus said, "This is my blood..."

Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I would like for you to explain to me why Jesus said, "This is my blood..."
Not until you explain to me what I just asked....

Old 05-29-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Not until you explain to me what I just asked....
There are at least two reasons why the sacrifice of Christ on the cross does not violate the prohibition against human sacrifice. First, Jesus wasn’t merely human. If He were, then His sacrifice would have also been a temporary one because one human life couldn’t possibly cover the sins of the multitudes who ever existed. Neither could one finite human life atone for sin against an infinite God. The only viable sacrifice must be an infinite one, which means only God Himself could atone for the sins of mankind. Only God Himself, an infinite Being, could pay the penalty owed to Himself. This is why God had to become a Man and dwell among men (John 1). No other sacrifice would suffice.

Second, God didn’t sacrifice Jesus. Rather, Jesus, as God incarnate, gave Himself. No one forced Him. He laid down His life willingly, as He made clear speaking about His life: “No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again".

I await your answer.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:05 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
There are at least two reasons why the sacrifice of Christ on the cross does not violate the prohibition against human sacrifice. First, Jesus wasn’t merely human. If He were, then His sacrifice would have also been a temporary one because one human life couldn’t possibly cover the sins of the multitudes who ever existed. Neither could one finite human life atone for sin against an infinite God. The only viable sacrifice must be an infinite one, which means only God Himself could atone for the sins of mankind. Only God Himself, an infinite Being, could pay the penalty owed to Himself. This is why God had to become a Man and dwell among men (John 1). No other sacrifice would suffice.

Second, God didn’t sacrifice Jesus. Rather, Jesus, as God incarnate, gave Himself. No one forced Him. He laid down His life willingly, as He made clear speaking about His life: “No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again".

I await your answer.
Very eloquent reply. I enjoyed reading your summation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity