Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 06:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora
To think that the Earth was created in 6 days is pure silliness and myth. It took billions of years for the Earth to calm down enough for life to begin only to be destroyed and then start over with new life and evolve into what it is today.

You are attacking a strawman. yes some believe the earth and all on it were created in 6 ea. 24 hour days, but that is not wast the Bible actually says.

The word "day" as used can be any period of time. Verses speak of a 1000 years as a day and a day as a 1000 years. A day to God has nothing to do with a day on earth and in fact in each created day it refers to it in a way, that if literal, would be less than 24 hours.

Note these two uses in chapter 1 and 2.

ASV Genesis 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.

ASV Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.

Here we have a creative day that if literal was less than 24 hours as a literal Biblical day went from sunset to sunset. Thus Evening to morning would only be part of a day.

Then in Chapter 2 we have "day" used to cover all six days, further indicating the word was not describing a 24 hour period of time. The word describes a period of time, such as in my father's day, not a set period. In Genesis 1 and 2 it can allow for billions of years.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:54 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,255,837 times
LOL I find it very peculiar how those who believe in the Bibles account of Earths formation can twist and twist and twist to try and make it line up with the real evidence. It doesn't align plain and simple no matter how you want to slice and dice it.

No thanks I'll take the modern day Geologist, Astrophysicists, and Astronomers accounts of Earth's formation over a pure myth that was written around 1440 and 1400 B.C.

Last edited by Matadora; 05-27-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It wasn't just a cute little story about sharing some food.

Have you not read concerning Elijah and how the food was multiplied for this poor woman?

1 Kings 17:10-16 And he rises, and goes to Zarephath, and comes in unto the opening of the city, and lo
there, a widow woman gathering sticks, and he calls unto her, and said, `Bring, I pray you, to me, a little
water in a vessel, and I drink.. (11) And she goes to bring [it], and he calls unto her and said, `Bring, I
pray you, to me a morsel of bread in your hand.. (12) And she said, `Yahweh your Elohim lives, I have
not a cake, but the fulness of the hand of meal in a pitcher, and a little oil in a dish; and lo, I am
gathering two sticks, and have gone in and prepared it for myself, and for my son, and we have eaten
it--and died.. (13) And Elijah said unto her, `Fear not, go, do according to your word, only make for me
thence a little cake, in the first place, and you have brought out to me; and for you and for your son
make--last;" (14) for thus said Yahweh, Elohim of Israel, The pitcher of meal is not consumed, and the
dish of oil is not lacking, till the day of Yahweh's giving a shower on the face of the ground.. (15) And
she goes, and does according to the word of Elijah, and she eats, she and he, and her household--
days;" (16) the pitcher of meal was not consumed, and the dish of oil did not lack, according to the word
of Yahweh that He spoke by the hand of Elijah.

And have you not read concerning Elisha the prophet and how the oil for the poor woman was multiplied?

2 Kings 4:1-7 And a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets has cried unto Elisha,
saying, `Your servant, my husband, is dead, and you have known that your servant was fearing Yahweh,
and the lender has come to take my two children to him for servants.. (2) And Elisha said unto her,
`What do I do for you? declare to me, what have you in the house?' and she said, `Your maid-servant
has nothing in the house except a pot of oil.. (3) And he said, `Go, ask for you vessels from without,
from all your neighbors--empty vessels--let [them] not be few;" (4) and you have entered, and shut
the door upon you, and upon your sons, and have poured out into all these vessels, and the full ones
you do remove.. (5) And she goes from him, and shuts the door upon her, and upon her sons; they are
bringing nigh unto her, and she is pouring out, (6) and it comes to pass, at the filling of the vessels,
that she said unto her son, `Bring nigh unto me a vessel more,' and he said unto her, `There is not a
vessel more;' and the oil stays. (7) And she comes and declares to the man of Elohim, and he said,
`Go, sell the oil, and repay your loan; and you [and] your sons do live of the rest.

A greater than Elijah and Elisha, the Lord Jesus Christ, came to Israel and did many mighty miracles.

God does not need to explain to us the physics of how He multiplied the cakes of bread or fish to feed over 5,000 Israelites. Nor does He have to explain to us how He fed the Israelites in the wilderness for 40 years. It is good enough to know He did it.

How often do you have to be told that your Bible is the claim and not the evidence. It makes assertions which don't prove anything.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 PM

1,422 posts, read 950,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeningview View Post
How did we get here, by evolution or by creation? What are your beliefs?
I have no beliefs one way or the other.

Evolution is a creative thing.

It is not so important to me HOW. I am more interested in WHY.

Neither theories of creation or evolution offer me much in the way of answering that question.

The argument itself takes the focus of the WHY.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
I have no beliefs one way or the other.

Evolution is a creative thing.

It is not so important to me HOW. I am more interested in WHY.

Neither theories of creation or evolution offer me much in the way of answering that question.

Maybe a form of reproduction makes more sense?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
...snip...

What makes you think there's a "why?"

Old 05-27-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What makes you think there's a "why?"
Lots and lots of things.

For one thing, the universe is too perfect - mathematically precise.
For another, I can so I do.

What I would say though is the 'why' is for me to decide. The 'how' is not important in relation to that as it is besides the point as far as I can see.

It isn't that important how i got here. It is more important why I am here.

It makes no difference to me that others may not think the same.

that also is besides the point.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Maybe a form of reproduction makes more sense?
Please elaborate.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
If evolution is true then a question like "what was the ancestor of rabbits" should be easily answered. Evolutionists, are you prepared to answer this kind of question for each animal?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,255,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If evolution is true then a question like "what was the ancestor of rabbits" should be easily answered. Evolutionists, are you prepared to answer this kind of question for each animal?
You should try Google it works well to dig up this type of information. Let me give you a hint: Lagomorpha

Rabbit Fossil - Crystalinks

Rabbit History and Ancestry | The House Rabbit Website

Genomic Evidence for Large, Long-Lived Ancestors to Placental Mammals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity